• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2023 ACC Tournament Discussion Thread

Not sure what games you guys are watching with Bilas.

First off, Bilas went to Duke but sent his kid to Wake. Was hugely positive about Wake before, during, and after. Hell, most posters were complaining that he was overly positive and it was preventing Wake from firing Bz and Manning.

Second, he's been barking like crazy during every ACC game he covers about how Clemson and Pitt should be locks, NC State is in, and that Duke, UVA, and Miami are underrated. He's been really consistent in his bashing of the metrics that are pushing the ACC so low that 14 win teams are bubble fodder. I'm not sure how many times he's said that there are other teams being considered for bids that are laughable compared to Clemson and Pitt. I guess if you think the ACC should get more than 6 bids he's not enough of a homer for us, but that also means you're in denial.

Yeah, I don’t think he’s trashing the ACC or anything, and he’s positive about teams he’s calling. Never had an issue with him. I’m not super stoked on his style calling a game, and his chemistry/friendship with Shulman is clearly good, but doesn’t enhance the viewing experience for me of the game or selling the spectacle. But that could just be personal taste.

I think Forbes believes the conference could benefit from someone maybe actually going a little over the top for the conference, whether warranted or not, and I sort of see his point after watching, but maybe it’s just stuck in my head since his comments and I’m hyper attuned to it.

The ACC needs to be better, but I also don’t think it’s so bad that the fourth place team should be sweating.

Bilas is fine— we just all need to be thankful that he replaced Dickie V on the ESPN A team. I still change the channel if I stumble on a Vitale game— he deserves a lot of respect for promoting the college game, but should have retired a few years ago —shades Of Verne Lundquist who overstayed his welcome.

Would have to disagree....love the Saturday night final (and the primetime semi-final games). Always felt like the final was overshadowed on Sunday by the Selection Show later that day.

Granted Wake has never been in a position to play in a Sat final so I don’t know what it feels like.
Not true! Back in 1961 and 1962 the Finals were on Saturday. And when we played Duke in the Finals in 1978 it was on Saturday. So we are 2-1 in Saturday finals.

But since I was 8 years away from being born in 1962 and was only 8 years old in 1978, I don't know what it feels like either. 1982 was the year they switched to the Friday-Saturday-Sunday format. Then moved to the current format in 2015.

The one good thing about the demise of the ACC is having to listen to less Dick Vitale. He’s calling this Kansas blowout and it’s a struggle. I know he loves it, but it’s time to hang it up for the hall-of-famer. Much like Lee Corso.

Last edited:
Not true! Back in 1961 and 1962 the Finals were on Saturday. And when we played Duke in the Finals in 1978 it was on Saturday. So we are 2-1 in Saturday finals.

But since I was 8 years away from being born in 1962 and was only 8 years old in 1978, I don't know what it feels like either. 1982 was the year they switched to the Friday-Saturday-Sunday format. Then moved to the current format in 2015.
Yeah I figured maybe back in the day, but not since I’ve been alive (1984) - between the previous format (Sun final) and new one (utter incompetence).

It's so dumb to have commentators talk over the introductions about how much the ACC Championship means. If it means so much, just show us the intros without talking over them.

i was at the 78 finals. it was televised on abc's wide world of sports.

Back