• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2023 Carolina Panthers thread - HOF Julius Peppers

That is horrific. I was willing to give Fit the benefit of the doubt but he has sucked without Rhule too.

What GM (or aspiring GM) would even want this job? The Panthers have:

No significant assets that can be traded for draft capital
A missing 2024 1st and 2025 2nd
A rookie QB clearly incapable of elevating a bad team
An uninspiring retread head coach in his first year
An owner that is clearly willing to override his GM, or at least has done so in the past

I have no idea how many GM positions will be open this offseason, but I gotta imagine that the Panthers will be the least desirable one unless Bryce Young absolutely lights it up the second half of this season.

What GM (or aspiring GM) would even want this job? The Panthers have:

No significant assets that can be traded for draft capital
A missing 2024 1st and 2025 2nd
A rookie QB clearly incapable of elevating a bad team
An uninspiring retread head coach in his first year
An owner that is clearly willing to override his GM, or at least has done so in the past

I have no idea how many GM positions will be open this offseason, but I gotta imagine that the Panthers will be the least desirable one unless Bryce Young absolutely lights it up the second half of this season.
It's 1 of 32 GM positions in the league. I'm guessing an average of 3 turn over each year. There will be interest, especially considering you have your QB for the future (even if he's having a rough go of his 1st year). Your rookie QB and retread coach are actually selling points to a potential GM. Tepper is probably a negative, but if you draft well and sign some good FAs, you can keep a bad owner at bay. The probable GM openings this offseason are Car, Was, LV and maybe NE. I don't see Car being any less desirable than the other 3.

It's 1 of 32 GM positions in the league. I'm guessing an average of 3 turn over each year. There will be interest, especially considering you have your QB for the future (even if he's having a rough go of his 1st year). Your rookie QB and retread coach are actually selling points to a potential GM. Tepper is probably a negative, but if you draft well and sign some good FAs, you can keep a bad owner at bay. The probable GM openings this offseason are Car, Was, LV and maybe NE. I don't see Car being any less desirable than the other 3.
I mean if your point was that someone is going to take the job, then yeah obviously.

But it's not an attractive job at this point and some superstar rising GM would probably be dumb to choose to take it if they have other options.

Well, a GM candidate might like that the Panthers are in a good spot to get the #1 pick for the 2025 draft.

Well, a GM candidate might like that the Panthers are in a good spot to get the #1 pick for the 2025 draft.
Despite the record this year, Reich has a good rep around the league, and your coordinators are good. And you have what should be a good rookie QB behind an awful OL that is getting him killed. And you have plenty of cap room. It's a more attractive GM opening than LV and on par with Was. Also probably better than NE if they start over because Young is a better option than Jones.

it does seem like the o-line just disintegrates into dust on every 3rd and long

I mean if your point was that someone is going to take the job, then yeah obviously.

But it's not an attractive job at this point and some superstar rising GM would probably be dumb to choose to take it if they have other options.
Yeah but these jobs are usually open because its a shit show (otherwise they guy in it would still be in it). It’s like the HC or even coordinator roles. There will be lots of dudes lining up to have a chance.

Back