• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2023 Carolina Panthers thread - HOF Julius Peppers

I….am not sure that’s true.

And yeah Bryce + Burns + Brown + Shaq doesn’t get you Stroud.

Somebody had an article in the last week or so - what NFL players would net you a 1st rounder in return. Maybe Athletic, or ringer, or espn - I’ll see if I can find it and link it.

Here it is:

One first-round pick and change: QB Bryce Young. Acknowledging that Young hasn't looked good to start his NFL career and that there were teams that were loathe to consider him because of his 5-foot-10 frame, he was a valuable enough prospect this spring for the Panthers to send two first-round picks and DJ Moore to the Bears to move up and acquire him with the No. 1 overall selection. That might go down as a terrible deal if the Bears land top 2024 quarterback Caleb Williams with Carolina's pick, but even given Young's struggles, he would still be a really valuable trade option in a hypothetical scenario given where he stood before the season began.

He can’t throw the ball over 30 yards.
Funniest (saddest?) part of today's game may have been when they flashed the "longest reception of the season" graphic on the jumbotron after Hurst's 47-yard-ish catch and run play, where he was somehow WIDE open. The "Bryce Young will complete a pass over 30 yards" prop finally lost today! (oh, and 2 plays later he throws the 66-yard pick-6 to ice the game).

Last edited:
If you fired Frank Reich, you’d celebrate like that too.

I'd say yesterday was rock bottom. Bryce was the worst player in the league yesterday, no exaggeration. No one played worse across the league. CJ Stroud was the best player in the league yesterday.

Lost at home to Gardner minshew, and pill boy Irsay dances in the locker room. Just an absolute fucking clown show at every single level of the organization. Not sure we'll ever be successful with big Dave at the helm. And he aint going anywhere.

One of the better OLs, yes. But zero WRs, zero TE threats, and a currently-unsigned journeyman RB. It is arguably easier to backfill those skill positions than the O-line, but combine that mess with the usual rookie QB learning curve, and this season is going to suck ass. As I've said on here for years, DJ Moore stinks as a #1 WR, getting rid of him is fine. So I like the confidence of making this move and the compensation was fine because giving him up is better than giving up another 1st. But this is the wrong year to do it, none of these QBs is anything special. Hold your wad one more year. Premature ejaculation at its finest.

Unless I guess the plan is to draft Stroud, shelve him Corral-style for one year so nobody sees how bad he is, then use him as throw-in trade bait to get Williams or Maye next year.

#scooooooop

Most NFL-caliber QBs can physically make most of the necessary throws most of the time. The difference between the successful ones and the bad ones are who can make the right reads combined with the throws in super short amount of time, with sophisticated defenses trying to bait them into the wrong throws. You don't have to go any further than Sam Darnold to find a guy who has all the physical ability but is routinely criticized for not getting the mental aspects up to speed and "seeing ghosts". Even Cam, who is not stupid by any means, had trouble with the mental side of the game.

tOSU QBs in the Meyer/Day offense are notorious dumbasses. They run the play that the coaching staff tells them to run and make the throw that their coaching staff tells them to make to their superior teammate behind their superior Oline and march down the field. There is no autonomy. Tyrelle Prior, Cardale Jones, Dwayne Haskins, Justin Fields - they didn't all suck at the NFL level because of a lack of physical ability, they sucked because they are dumbasses who couldn't keep up mentally. You don't need to be a rocket scientist, but you need to have some brainpower. Tom Brady, Drew Brees, Peyton Manning, Russell Wilson, Aaron Rodgers, Mahomes - all pretty damn smart guys though maybe a bit eccentric in certain ways.

CJ Stroud is, by all accounts and his own media presence to date, a dumbass. "Room to grow" and "upside" does not translate to "getting smarter". Once a dumbass, always a dumbass. Obviously he can learn new things, but he isn't going to increase his "processing" speed, as the millennials would say.

As much as I equally dislike Bama QBs historically, at least Young has been calling the shots in that offense for years. His biggest attribute is his mental capacity and decision-making. That is what is needed to succeed as a QB at the NFL level between guys who already have the general physical ability. I would take his proven mental ability over Stroud's (and obviously AR's) potential physical room for improvement but low IQ any day. You can't fix stupid.

#Scooooooooooop

My points still stands. I said this was the wrong year to trade up to #1. That is still the correct answer, as it always has been. If people want to jack off to CJ Stroud because he won a shootout with Baker Mayfield, a week after losing to Bryce Young, then the joke is ultimately on them. But if the Panthers listened to me then they would be in an exponentially better situation than they are now.

I think it's way too early to judge the pick or the trade, but the evidence so far does not look good. It would be interesting to move Icky to guard, find a LT, and find a legit W1, and then see how Bryce does with that.

The line just stinks to high heaven. I think there are Young questions for sure, but let's get him some damn protection before we write him off.

I think it's way too early to judge the pick or the trade, but the evidence so far does not look good. It would be interesting to move Icky to guard, find a LT, and find a legit W1, and then see how Bryce does with that.
Ikey could be an absolute run mauling guard.

Yeah maybe could help us with the tush push, but our QB can't even run a GD qb sneak.

Back