• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2023 Carolina Panthers thread - HOF Julius Peppers

Drew Magary had a good take on Wentz:

-One more thing about the Eagles while I’m grudgingly fawning over them: this is a good time to remember that GM Howie Roseman drafted Jalen Hurts when Carson Wentz was still, in theory, that team’s franchise quarterback. You probably remember Roseman’s infamous “We want to be a quarterback factory” quote right after taking Hurts in the second round, but let’s look at another thing he said that same day:

“We were very fortunate to get a young Pro Bowl quarterback in Carson Wentz, and our goal is to surround him with as many good people as we possibly can, as many good players as we possibly can… the kind of people we believed in the most. Jalen stood out in all those regards.”
You’ll notice that Roseman hasn’t drafted a QB since taking Hurts, which makes every answer from that 2020 presser both telling and rather amusing in retrospect. This team doesn’t wanna be a quarterback factory. They simply realized, barely in time, that Wentz is a dipshit and that everyone on the team and on the coaching staff hated his guts. I bet even Dallas Goedert went to Roseman and was like, Please, man. Please get that fucker away from us. Carson Wentz is the herpes of quarterbacks: painful and quite easy to diagnose.

Having AR sit for 1 year and getting another top 10 pick isnt the worst idea in the world. See: Bengals

I saw a new podcast yesterday with Todd and Mel. They both have Young #1. Mel has Levis #2 and loves him, whereas Todd has Levis #3 and likes him a lot. They both like AR but agreed he'll have to sit for 1-2 years before he's ready.
Richardson would have to sit for 1-2 years to be ready to be a decent college QB. He'd have to sit for a decade to be ready to be a decent NFL QB. That guy fucking sucks. I don't see how anyone could watch him play an entire game and think he can be anything remotely close to a starting NFL QB.

He’s Justin Fields if for some reason Justin Fields had even worse field vision and accuracy.

I remember Fields being drooled over especially at his pro day over his accuracy. That was the book on him. I remember it mainly because the word I got from the Panthers and then posted here was that they didn't want to draft him because "he couldn't hit a bull in the butt with a bass fiddle" and wondering why the Panthers scouts thought that when I was hearing so much about his great accuracy.

If Reich gets Fangio and any young up and coming OC then I consider this a successful hire

OC much less important for me with Reich calling plays, correct?
Yeah probably, but who knows if Reich will call all the plays himself. Supposedly a main reason why the Panthers loved Reich is that he basically had his entire staff of well-respected assistants already locked in if he got hired, including Fangio, if Tepper opens the checkbook for them.

If Reich has this great staff locked in and we haven’t heard anything yet, that’s a pretty good sign it’s a OC and DC whose current teams are playing tomorrow.

Ryans is a former Texans player and he probably reached an agreement this week that will be announced on Monday win or lose.

Ryans is a former Texans player and he probably reached an agreement this week that will be announced on Monday win or lose.
And it would make sense, especially if he brings Bobby Slowik with him as OC.

So what are the Panthers thinking about Corral at this time? I remember he had foot surgery, or something but I haven’t really heard anything else.

The Athletic has the Panthers trading up to #5 for Stroud.

5. Carolina Panthers (via Seattle): C.J. Stroud, QB, Ohio State

Projected trade: No. 5 for Nos. 9, 93 and a 2024 first-round pick

Two years ago, the Panthers decided to pass on an Ohio State quarterback (Justin Fields). In this draft, they might be trading up for a different Buckeye. Regardless of Carolina’s head coach hire, we know ownership will heavily influence what the team does with this top-10 pick, and it is fair to assume David Tepper is tired of the quarterback carousel of veteran washouts.

With his accuracy and ability to read the field, C.J. Stroud can carve up defenses if given time to operate from the pocket. Although it came in a playoff-semifinal loss to Georgia, Stroud had a career performance in his final college game (348 yards passing, four touchdowns). On that tape, Stroud showed an improved comfort level when he was required to create outside of structure, which will only help him throughout the draft process.

So this trade up keeps both 2nds but gives up the 3rd and a next year 1st. I think that's more likely than trading the first 2nd and a later pick.

Last edited:
Back