• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2023 Carolina Panthers thread - HOF Julius Peppers

At least he's been a personnel guy for a franchise that has historically drafted well. Good hire on the face of it.

It’s whatever. Kinda figured they’d go this direction. Let’s see who he lands as coach.

Should have a lot of experience on what not to do.

Following the 49ers blueprint.

In a vacuum I'd love for it to work out. What a story that would be. But in reality it reeks of the cronyism and control we've seen Tepper exercise during his period of ownership. So I fully expect we'll be on the hunt for another GM in 3-4 years. Hope I'm wrong.

From an Athletic write-up tonight:

“The Athletic has reported that Tepper is expected to bring in an executive to serve as a buffer between ownership and football. Kansas City Chiefs VP of football operations Brandt Tilis, who has a background in salary cap and contracts, is the frontrunner for the role. That potentially could be a good step for Tepper, who has a long history of being hands-on with football decisions.

This type of front-office structure would be similar to San Francisco, where John Lynch is GM and Paraag Marathe is president of 49ers enterprises and executive VP of football operations.”

We don’t know whether he was a yes man to fitterer or an ineffective contrary voice to some of these roster moves. But the likelihood is the former since he kept working under fitterer.

So I’m hoping tepper made him go through all the moves he would have made differently, as well as making him show how he weighed in with his contrary opinions at the time and was overruled by fitterer.

But my guess is that tepper did not do that, and if he had, Morgan would not have had the track record to point to.

Thus I’m neither surprised nor encouraged by this move.

If he had GM acumen it should have shown up somehow by now.

Back