• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2023 Carolina Panthers thread - HOF Julius Peppers

sauce or feelings? any chance at Ben Johnson?
hints from a sauce, and my guess at what the hints are getting at

i think little to no chance of ben johnson, he's not doing any more interviews this week and i think we have a coach within the next few days

it sounds like management is still high on Evero wonder if there's a chance he stays on. think he's getting another HC interview with us. and I guess with Caldwell in the GM and presumably HC search he might still have a role.

“Could have been worse” sounds like shit I said when we hired redacted and the mannequin
Yeah, I get it. But I don't think his name would have elicited these reactions if his resume just had the Seattle and Buffalo years on it. His stays in both coincided with years of solid drafting and personnel moves in both cities, so I'm hoping something good rubbed off. I get it's the fact that he was in Charlotte the last 2 years. Maybe he has sold Tepper on changes he'd like to make in the scouting and pro player departments. Trying to see the potential positives.

I mean I would have rather gone completely outside the organization, but at least he has several years of personnel experience with Seattle. Could have been worse. At least his resume is better than Fit's. I don't know, trying to be hopeful.
How is his resume better than Fit's?

Morgan:
1 season as a scouting intern (Seahawks)
4 seasons as assistant director of pro personnel (Seahawks)
4 seasons as director of pro personnel (Seahawks)
3 seasons as director of player personnel (Bills)
3 seasons as assistant GM (Panthers)

Fit:
13 seasons as an area scout (3 Giants, 10 Seahawks)
4 seasons as the director of college scouting (includes drafting Legion of Boom members Richard Sherman, Byron Maxwell, KJ Wright, and Malcolm Smith in 2011 and Bruce Irvin and Bobby Wagner in 2012 plus Russell Wilson)
5 seasons as co-director of player personnel (Seahawks)
1 season as VP of football operations (Seahawks)

You've been clamoring that the Panthers should hire a GM with significant college scouting experience. That's what they did with Fit and it flopped.

I'd say none of the above. The 1st point of order is hiring a GM. And that should be someone from outside the organization. I'd recommend Joe Hortiz, the Ravens director of college scouting. He's in charge of setting our board the last few years, and we've mostly drafted well for a long time. Or maybe someone from Philly, KC or Seattle. But firing Fit and promoting from within given the results in recent years would make no sense. I like your coordinators, so I wouldn't make a coaching change after 1 season when it's obvious the main issue is with the quality of the roster.

It's considerably more difficult that draft the best dudes from UGa and Bama. Bart Scott was a UDFA out of Southern Illinois, and James Harrison was the same out of Kent St. Matt Judon was a 5th rounder out of Grand Valley St. I have no idea where Grand Valley St is. And you don't want a VP of football operations. You want the director of college scouting because you should be building your team through the draft, not free agency.

You shut your whore mouth. Don't take our DC.

That said, I think he's grown into being a good DC, and he has the rep of being extremely bright. Also a devout Catholic just like Harbs - think they go to the same church. My 1 quibble with him is he and Lamar are the 2 major culprits of our blown double digit 2nd half leads the last 2 seasons. With Lamar, it's the 4th quarter TOs, lower completion % and holding it too long. With McDonald, I think the tendency has mostly to go to a softer zone with a double digit lead in the 4th quarter. But I think he's getting better about that, as evidenced by the great performance Sunday night when Lamar and the OL forgot how to play in the 2nd half. I've been thinking he'll be a head coach before too long, though I doubt it's this offseason. The other issue with him is he doesn't have an offensive assistant compatriot to bring with him like Ryans did with Slowik.

I agree that Flores and Ben Johnson are likely HC hires this cycle and maybe Slowik before too long. But the real key is 1st hiring a GM. And that GM should be a current director of college scouting on a perennial playoff contender - not another pro personnel guy.

Not true, Evero is a good DC.

And Buckets, stop trying to take my DC. It's not his time yet. Though you saying that makes me wonder if Tee Martin would be a good NFL OC. He's been a college OC, and I think he interviewed for the Tennessee job when Heupel got it. He's been around some good college passing games, was around for Roman's innovative run game and neanderthal pass game and this year with Monken. But the Ravens guy you should really target is Joe Hortiz, our director of college scouting.

Not just someone from GB. You should only interview directors of college scouting, not someone from the pro personnel department. Given the lack of quality from your last few drafts, I'd wager a bet that it's not just Fit who sucks at evaluating college talent. Your scouting department isn't doing a great job either. So bring in that director of college scouting to be GM, let him make whatever changes he wants to the scouting department, and then let him help you select the next coach. But what is the chance that Tepper actually does it that way.

Sorry, I'm not sure if your question is rhetorical. But if he doesn't fire Fit and replace him with a director of college scouting, then the answer is no.

Heard they fired Fit this a.m. That's a positive start. I'd hire a GM before hiring a coach. And again, it should be someone who has been a director of college scouting. Then let that GM hire the coach.

Greenberg sounds interesting but doesn't have college scouting experience. Brown is younger but appears to have some experience on that side. When you have a fairly long history of poor drafting through 2 GM regimes, I wouldn't hire a GM that doesn't have a significant college scouting background.

Matteo is a salary cap and contract guy and has never been a scout. Over the last 2 GMs you've had, you've drafted horribly. Given that, wouldn't you want to hire a GM with experience in a scouting department?

You've been clamoring that the Panthers should hire a GM with significant college scouting experience. That's what they did with Fit and it flopped.

Clamoring, hammering, and yammering, if I’m honest

Maybe he's just an interim until we actually have a 1st round pick and aren't locked into our QB.

is fitt the all-time worst college scout?!

would have rather had mel kiper making our draft picks

How is his resume better than Fit's?

Morgan:
1 season as a scouting intern (Seahawks)
4 seasons as assistant director of pro personnel (Seahawks)
4 seasons as director of pro personnel (Seahawks)
3 seasons as director of player personnel (Bills)
3 seasons as assistant GM (Panthers)

Fit:
13 seasons as an area scout (3 Giants, 10 Seahawks)
4 seasons as the director of college scouting (includes drafting Legion of Boom members Richard Sherman, Byron Maxwell, KJ Wright, and Malcolm Smith in 2011 and Bruce Irvin and Bobby Wagner in 2012 plus Russell Wilson)
5 seasons as co-director of player personnel (Seahawks)
1 season as VP of football operations (Seahawks)

I know. I wanted someone from outside with more college experience. Then I got scared they might hire someone for the job from more the front office contracts side of things. But Morgan rose higher and quicker through the ranks than Fit and was director of player personnel, 1 step down from GM, at a time in Buffalo when they were making good personnel moves. That and he played for Carolina. So I thought it was better than it could have been and am trying to look at it in that light. My choice would have been Hortiz from the Ravens or someone from a team like San Fran, Philly or KC. But I think it could have been worse and am hoping that he's going to make changes. But yeah, the reason for any hope is that he held good positions for 2 teams that were doing things the right way during those years. Sorry.

it sounds like management is still high on Evero wonder if there's a chance he stays on. think he's getting another HC interview with us. and I guess with Caldwell in the GM and presumably HC search he might still have a role.
Allegedly cleaning house of Fitterer and Reich, and ending up with Morgan and Evero, would be a fucking disaster.

They interviewed him for the GM job. Morgan must not like him.

2022: Defense good, don't retain Wilks, big mistake ?
2023: Defense good, maybe retain Evero, big mistake ?

2023 was arguably the worst calendar year any NFL franchise has had. Hired and fired a coach. Made a huge trade for an underwhelming QB. Went 2-15 to give up the #1 in the next draft.

It would be a poor start to 2024 to just promote the asst GM and DC.

2023 was arguably the worst calendar year any NFL franchise has had. Hired and fired a coach. Made a huge trade for an underwhelming QB. Went 2-15 to give up the #1 in the next draft.

It would be a poor start to 2024 to just promote the asst GM and DC.
and gave up a WR1 on a friendly contract AND 2025 2nd rounder. Feel free to get pissed all over again when the Bears are using the Panthers pick between 33 and 43 next year.

It seemed like the dj johnson pick was an Evero idea

Back