• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2023 MLB Thread -- World Champion Rangers - Hot Stove Warming Up - Soto to the Yanks - Ohtani's destination unknown

Really a remarkable run to make. They won every road game in the playoffs. They got pitching beyond expectations. Their bats did what they have been doing all year. But the defense to me was really the thing. I cannot recall seeing so many bang-bang plays at first and glovehandling that was just stellar all series.

Apparently, the Braves need to sneak into a wild-card spot during the last week of the season, and they will have much better chance to win the WS.

Well, maybe not after last night, but Cory Seager may be the most under-appreciated superstar in MLB. Such a clutch player. Two-time WS MVP, NLCS MVP, ROY; such a dangerous hitter, and plays key defensive position at SS. Kudos to Charlotte native Cory Seager. BTW, many if not most long term high dollar baseball contracts turn out to be disasters, but the Rangers 2021 deal to sign Seager for 10 years at $325 million was the exception as Seager is only 29.
He missed 43 games this year and had 33 HRs and 96 RBI.

Angels hire Ron Washington as manager. I love Wash, but he's 71 and looks 91...

getty-ron-washington-braves.jpg

Blake Snell (current FA) wins the NL Cy Young (as anticipated), not that it really matters a ton, did not expect Logan Webb finishing second. He went 11-13 last year and lost 3 of his 5 September starts as the Giants collapsed.

Owners approve A's move to Vegas

The Athletics' lease with the Oakland Coliseum expires after the 2024 season, and the team has yet to solidify plans for where it will play before the Las Vegas stadium is ready in 2028. Manfred said extending the lease in Oakland is an option, though the city -- which owns half the stadium, while the Athletics own the other half -- has said in order to do so that it would need to keep the A's name and move to the front of the line for a potential expansion franchise.
Is this going to be a situation where the A's play in some random city for four years, like the Expos did with San Juan? Monterrey, maybe? (Rangers and Astros probably would approve of the shorter travel).

Yankees finalizing a deal to acquire Juan Soto from the Padres

Ohtani is expected to pick his destination by Sunday.

Yankees finalizing a deal to acquire Juan Soto from the Padres

Ohtani is expected to pick his destination by Sunday.

Curious as to where Ohtani lands....and if the fact that Dave Roberts even commented on having a meeting with him dooms the Dodgers. Still think he ends up in Chavez Ravine.

Curious as to where Ohtani lands....and if the fact that Dave Roberts even commented on having a meeting with him dooms the Dodgers. Still think he ends up in Chavez Ravine.

lol...literally right before I posted the article from my post.

Wish Seattle would have some balls and spend some money. Push 180-200m payroll in adding on to what is already there and there is a deep playoff run there. The front office already shed bloated contracts so go out and spend $Texas on Ohtani. He's worth even more.

but they wont because apparently the front office doesn't think the Mariners deserve nice things

Yanks get Soto and don’t lose top prospects.
Get Yamamoto and we’re in it.
The Evil Empire is Back!!!

Lots of buzz that Ohtani is headed to Toronto.
They can have him; as others have said, anyone who pays him $500M+ is nuts.
Great ball player but when was the first/last time he has played, performed or pitched in a huge game. Not to mention he and his Camp are loons.

No argument there; if Giancarlo had any balls he would voluntarily leave New York and prove whether he’s HOF worthy (which I doubt) and go somewhere he would play full time and try to prove it. He sure won’t be playing much in New York.

IDK if this has been posted, and hopefully this doesn't anger everyone on this thread like every other post I make these days.....but this article is pretty dead on...I don't follow MLB much beyond the Braves during the 2nd half of the season, but I was really looking forward to Ohtani's Free Agency:

Shohei Ohtani's secretive free agency is a missed opportunity for him and MLB
It certainly doesn't anger me, but I strongly disagree with this take.

The player is under no obligation to allow speculation to run rampant while he is making a decision. The lack of noise the past few weeks over his free agency won't negatively impact the hype around him on Opening Day for his new team in the slightest. To me, this sort of article is just a reporter complaining that his job has been made more difficult.

Back