• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2023 Pit Fantasy Football League - THE PLAYOFFS ARE SET

are 34 points the lowest anyone has ever scored in the history of the pit league? i sure hope so, because i'd hate to suck this bad and not at least gain a distinction
Since I've been keeping track, last season Ghost had a 32.9 in Week 12, Triple had 32.44 in Week 7, and in 2021 Edarem had 34.96 in Week 4, redwing had 31.5 in Week 10.

But the low that we've seen in the last few years at least is Ph with 21.5 in Week 10 of 2021.

Yes, division winner automatically gets in, 4 wild cards are for best 4 others. There will be a bad division where the winner gets in over teams with better records, annual occurrence.
the AFC South exemption

WEEK 1 RECAP
FANTASY FOOTBALL IS DUMB #NEVERFORGET

giphy.gif

Week 1 is in the books, and with it is my enjoyment of anything related to fantasy football or gambling. But half the league got off to a good start so let's focus on that. It was a confusing week in both real life and fantasy football with big names flopping in big time ways, relative no-names popping off, and a D/ST being the second highest scorer on the week. Let's look at what happened:

1694620175618.png
  • Maybe Next Year is Actually This Year: Leading off today is our Week 1 top scorer, @DeaconPeach! Peach had herself a rough 2022, tying for the league worst record and never having much of a chance of contention throughout the season and having an early "there's always next year" call. In Week 1, however, Peach put on a show as the only manager to hit triple digit scoring behind individual scoring leader Tyreek Hill. Stunningly, there also was room for improvement with Mac Jones eclipsing starter Trevor Lawrence from Peach's bench. My draft thoughts for Peach are still relevant; Tyreek won't go for 39 every single week, and really only one other skill player had a week to write home about in Jakobi Meyers. But if your week-to-week is contingent on one player going big, there are much worse players to have than Tyreek. Congrats to Peach on the hot start, I hope it continues for you.
  • The Bungles are Bungholes: Tragedy struck in Cleveland as three top fantasy hopes took a massive dump on the Keebler elf, impacting three different managers. @iodeac, Mrs. I/O, and @OblongPickle all got burned by Ja'Marr Chase, Joe Burrow, and worst of all Tee Higgins, respectively. Mr. I/O and Pickle were fortunate to still be able to pull through, but their teams will be on alert as those fantasy cornerstone players must perform for their managers to have successful season. Am I also writing this because Burrow and Higgins fucked me in the Pit Dynasty League. Absolutely not. (Editor's Note: He is.)
  • The Future is Now: Three teams saw rookies put up the best (non-defense) performance for their teams in Week 1. A pretty stellar debut relative to expectations for Anthony Richardson helped @BarcaDeac approach triple digits and secure a 1-0 start to the season. Sadly, Bijan Robinson and Zay Flowers were unable to do the same for myself and @TripleDeacon, respectively, but the kids are alright. An honorable mention deserves to also go out to @Screamindemon3's own Jordan Love who may not be a rookie, but killed it in his first start as the official franchise QB of the Green Bay Packers.
  • Nice: @Ghostsurfer @DeacHawk and Mr. I/O: nice.
  • Ph Watch: @PhDeac played Mrs. I/O and won. He is 1-0.
  • I am a Moron #NeverForget: I still can't believe I benched Aiyuk 5 minutes before kickoff. I hate fantasy football.

WEEK 2 PREVIEW
  • DEACHAWK (1-0) vs. SD3 (1-0): We lead off with the only matchup between 1-0 squads, DEACHAWK vs. SD3. It will be interesting to see how DEACHAWK's team performs after some notable Week 1 items: Can Deshaun Watson continue to be a decent QB (Editor's Note: Jury is out on him being a decent human being, fuck him)? Will Garrett Wilson be able to weather the loss of Aaron Rodgers and be a WR1-caliber player with Zach Wilson at QB? Is Rashid Shaheed the best WR in New Orleans? There's a lot of question marks out there. SD3 had a much more straightforward Week 1 and really only will be waiting to see if Jordan Love is truly the real deal. Big advantage toward playoff contention for whoever comes out of this one on top.
  • Gooner (0-1) vs. Edarem (0-1): The inverse matchup with the only game between 0-1 teams in Week 2 pits yours truly against @JamesSokolove. While Week 2 is far from a loser-goes-home situation, a two-game deficit on at least a few teams through two weeks will be a tough place to recover from. I have to try my hardest not to be a moron, though this week that definitely means not making a change and watching another bench guy pop off. And Edarem has to hope that Travis Kelce can return and be effective to solidify his starting lineup. This is also the closest matchup on ESPN projections with just 2.1 points in it, definitely not going to be stressed this weekend at all.
  • Fighting Cocks (0-1) vs. Barca (1-0): Our last matchup to look at sees @WakeForest Fan take on Barca in a matchup that can only be an improvement on Week 1. Everything that could go wrong for the Fighting Cocks of Appalachia did wrong, and his total score is an early contender for worst weekly score of the season already. The Cocks will be hoping that they can get at least a second skill player to outscore their defense in Week 2. Contrast that to Barca who was helped along by maybe the best D/ST performance these eyes have ever seen. Even a good week for Dallas would have put Barca at risk of starting 0-1, so he knows he will need better weeks from many of his skill players. It's a fascinating balance between a team that has to be much better against a team who cannot possibly be as good.
Fantasy football is stupid, good luck in Week 2 everyone.

@Gooner the table to show that I would have beaten 14/19 possible opponents was not helpful for my team’s morale

where does 44 pts rank in terms of lowest winning scores?
It's way up there. A fair few the last couple years in the 50s, Pickle had a W last year at 48.5, I won with 48.86, and hilariously the leader in the clubhouse also appears to be Wolf last year at 44.24. So I cannot confirm for sure that this is the lowest ever but it's lowest since I've been keeping track.

@Gooner the table to show that I would have beaten 14/19 possible opponents was not helpful for my team’s morale
Just wait until the All-Play column starts popping up next week

this close to being the top scorer with no repeat players in both Pit leagues this week

Just wait until the All-Play column starts popping up next week
At least you're not ruining my day like Sleeper every Tuesday by showing me how many points I could have scored if I wasn't terrible at start/sit decisions.

Pickle (9th Pick)
  • Overall Grade: C+
  • Best Pick: Tee Higgins, 2nd Round
  • Gooner's Favorite Pick: Khalil Herbert, 5th Round
This draft grade is less Pickle's fault than the vagaries of fantasy football. Cooper Kupp at #9 should be a phenomenal pick, but with his short-term health in serious question and the likely wanting to be bad anyway, there's a chance that Kupp may not actually play that much in 2023. Pickle did a good job covering for that in the 2nd round with Tee Higgins, but at that point in the draft you likely don't want to have gone WR/WR very often just from a positional scarcity standpoint. And while at the time I am sure it felt pretty normal, in hindsight Pickle was actually in slight damage control mode, and from that perspective I think the rest of the draft went OK. Mattison could be solid as the now RB1 in Minnesota, Pacheco may see an increase in touches in Kansas City, and Herbert could end up being the main RB in Chicago. But that's a lot of "coulds" and "maybes" for the first 5 rounds of the draft, and drafting Tua as the QB1 for your team on top of that likely means Pickle is going to be sweating injury reports for most of the season.

While this prediction is certainly true, I'd like to point out that Tua finished as QB1 for Week 1 bettering QB2 Mac Jones by 3 points.

Let's all just join hands and ask the FF gods to keep that up!

FYI, For anyone else that did the random "Jump In" ESPN 10-team Drafts for another league.....the default settings for those leagues has Waiver order as "Inverse Order of Standings, Reset each week". This totally screwed me, as I had multiple leagues where I had a high waiver position and decided to avoid making any moves in hopes that I'd move up the Waiver Priority for future weeks when I could grab one of the more consistently proven contenders start to show themselves....then I won my game and am in the bottom 2 or 3 of the Waiver Priority list.

BUMMER!

Re: Week 1 Recap.....YES, Tee Higgins failed me, but at least I pulled out the W. Surely that Cincy offense can't be held in check all season and the NFL's highest paid player in history can't be held to 82 yds passing at 45.2% completion rate. Had to just be the weather...Right?

Pick two, no PPR. James Conner vs NYG, Calvin Riley vs KC, Devonta Smith vs Min. Would love to be able to wait out Conner's injury status but Eagles play tonight.

I would say even with Conner going that I'd pick Ridley and Smith every time....but that's just me.

Pick two, no PPR. James Conner vs NYG, Calvin Riley vs KC, Devonta Smith vs Min. Would love to be able to wait out Conner's injury status but Eagles play tonight.
I’d probably play both WRs, but no PPR makes Connor a reasonable choice over Smith

So, in one of those random ESPN 10-team leagues a guy literally just offered a trade of Antonio Gibson for Jefferson. I wanted to counter with like every player on his team for JJ....but I'm thinking of countering with this:

GIVING:
QB - Fields
WR - Jefferson
D/ST - Ravens

GETTING:
QB - Hurts
WR - Chase
D/ST - 49ers

I feel like it's a no brainer to trade in JJ for a buy-low Chase and Hurts while seemingly upgrading my DEF at the same time.

Thoughts?

Seems like a decent plan. Defense trades are crapshoots though.

Back