• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2023 Pit Fantasy Football League - THE PLAYOFFS ARE SET

i am 1-2 in my work league despite having the second most points out of 12 teams

WEEK 2 & 3 RECAP
#DIGGLERSUCKS

giphy.gif

Never underestimate the unbridled pettiness levels I can reach when directly challenged. Diggler wants to talk smack about no recaps, I'll give him a bloody recap. I also will initiate my season-long #DIGGLERSUCKS campaign, I welcome anyone who wants to join me. Let's look at some things that happened in Weeks 2 and 3:

WEEKS 2 & 3 STATS

1695943629452.png 1695943643831.png 1695943660697.png

WEEKS 2 & 3 NOTES

• Unlucky Losers: The Week 1 trend of bad beats based on matchups continued in the following weeks with myself and @Sleepy banking a second consecutive top-half scoring loss while @BarcaDeac joined the party, but the true unluckiest loser trophy went to @Satan who had the unfortunate distinction of not only being the only top-half loser in Week 3, but the worst possible top-half loser you could be. His 112.6 points would have won him every matchup but 3 in the first 3 weeks, and sadly one of those matchups was what he had against @JamesSokolove. It is no solace, Satan, but it (literally) cannot get worse than that.
  • Domination Station: In a league largely known for its parity year in, year out, this season has seen rapid starts for a number of teams with four still unbeaten and the aforementioned Satan an unfortunate 2-1 but with the best overall all-play through 3 weeks. Injuries, holdouts, and the usual fantasy randomness have all played a part, but it is still remarkable that so many teams have made it to this point unblemished. Shout to the dynamic duo of @DeaconPeach and @Wolf1297 for what must be the most harmonious fantasy football household out there. @iodeac would probably love to be in your shoes instead of treading on eggshells in his own home.
  • Close Call: Outside of the Satan/Edarem matchup (and very much on the opposite end of the spectrum), @deacon14 was gasping sighs of relief in Week 2 as he got a fortunate healthy scratch from the bizarre Cam Akers situation and dodged a bullet with a Jamaal Williams injury on MNF to scrape out his first ever Pit Fantasy League win. In the Davis division this season, the only division without an unbeaten team at this point, that narrow, low-scoring victory has propelled D14 into an unlikely tie for first place with @Screamindemon3 instead of wallowing with us underlings. This league rewards wins over points, as defending co-champion @Ghostsurfer can attest, so D14 will be counting his lucky stars that he got that one over the line as @redwing42 equally will be ruing his misfortune with his Week 2 lineup.
  • Ph Watch: Ph won in Week 2 and lost in Week 3.
  • #DIGGLERSUCKS: Just a reminder, @DeacDiggler sucks.
WEEK 4 PREVIEW

Satan (2-1) vs. @WakeForest Fan (2-1)
The first of two massive Kitchin Division matchups in Week 4 sees all-play leader Satan take on the Fighting Cocks of Appalachia in a game that may have huge implications for playoff berths a few months from now. Both teams find themselves a game back of undefeated, top-scoring Peach and will be itching to stay within reaching distance of the division lead should Peach continue her winning ways. The Cocks will be hoping that Raheem Mostert's massive Week 3 display wasn't a one-off; while it would be nigh impossible to recreate that performance against a real NFL defense, the Cocks will hope the regression is still at a level of RB1 production. Meanwhile Satan will hope that his team just keeps the status quo going and that his matchup luck is not as bad moving forward as it was in Week 3. Best of luck, gents.

Peach (3-0) vs. Ph (2-1)
Peach plays Ph in the other key Kitchin Division game.

SD3 (2-1) vs. Mr. I/O (3-0)

One of just four cross-divisional matchups this week pits two division leaders against each other in SD3 and Mr. I/O. SD3 always finds himself in these positions each season: contending for the division, solid team, never out of it. But he faces a formidable, improving I/O team that has increased his scoring output week over week this year. Both managers will need to make important QB decisions and hope the coin lands on heads this week, and the man who guesses right with his lineup decisions could take a big step towards securing their division early on in the season.

Edarem (2-1) vs. @DeacHawk (3-0)
A fourth matchup in Week 4 between teams with early winning records could set the pecking order in the brutal Taylor Division. Behind only on a points tiebreaker to undefeated Mr. I/O, DEACHAWK has steadily secured his wins each week behind solid, if not spectacular play across his whole lineup. His Week 4 opponent, Edarem, has been a bit more polarized with a low-scoring Week 1 followed up by a 2nd place and top scoring performance in Weeks 2 and 3. Nobody in the league is hotter from a scoring perspective than Edarem, but will that fire be enough to consume DeacHawk's steadiness? The rest of the Taylor Division eagerly waits to find out.

That's all for Weeks 2 and 3, best of luck to all in Week 4!

tag: #DIGGLERSUCKS

Last edited:
Would you do this trade? Let me know your thoughts...

Giving:
  1. Zay Flowers (BAL)
  2. JGibbs (DET)
Receiving:
  1. BRobinsonJr (WASH)
  2. GWilson (NYJ)
  3. KHerbert (CHI)
---------------------------------------------------------

Sorry for the late reply, but i think I would do that deal. You're getting the best player, IMO, in Wilson and BRob is looking stout. My 2 cents and hope it works out for you!

Would you do this trade? Let me know your thoughts...

Giving:
  1. Zay Flowers (BAL)
  2. JGibbs (DET)
Receiving:
  1. BRobinsonJr (WASH)
  2. GWilson (NYJ)
  3. KHerbert (CHI)
---------------------------------------------------------

Sorry for the late reply, but i think I would do that deal. You're getting the best player, IMO, in Wilson and BRob is looking stout. My 2 cents and hope it works out for you!

Seems like you’re selling Flowers and Gibbs low. Promising rookies on good teams. This could look like a bad trade in a few weeks.

Gooner, Thanks for the week recap and a peek ahead! I know these posts take away from your free time, but they are all loved by the league! I would just like to see my team in the "win" category a bit more but that might be asking for too much when your stud RB gets 1.8 points.

Thank you, Ghost, that's very kind. Work has been incredibly busy the last few months, but has really ramped up as I've transitioned to a new role over the last few weeks (a major reason I was traveling for work last week) so it's just trying to find the time. I am going to try to be better at getting them put together over a few days, I just prefer knocking it out all at once so I don't lose any (tiny) creative spark that comes to me as I write. But Diggler will not win, you can be sure of that. #DIGGLERSUCKS

I am 0-1 in games in which #5 overall pick Austin Ekeler plays and 2-0 (likely about to be 3-0) in games in which he does not play.

Not sure how that works in a 20 team league but I’ll certainly take it

I am 0-1 in games in which #5 overall pick Austin Ekeler plays and 2-0 (likely about to be 3-0) in games in which he does not play.

Not sure how that works in a 20 team league but I’ll certainly take it
I was like that with CMC a few years ago

That dickhead giants DB diving tackle of walker just cost me the win.

Any else in bye week hell for next week? I have Ekeler, Metcalf, and Godwin (three different teams!) all on bye.

I’m sure starting a TE in a FLEX spot is going to be great.

Any else in bye week hell for next week? I have Ekeler, Metcalf, and Godwin (three different teams!) all on bye.

I’m sure starting a TE in a FLEX spot is going to be great.
not bye week hell, but I have an upcoming week where my top pick (Henry) and my best "player" (Dallas D) will both be off

WEEK 4 RECAP
The HellPit Fantasy Football League

giphy.gif

I have spent most of the waking hours of my day either on Zoom calls or cleaning up dog vomit, and yet somehow that level of suckage pales in comparison to my own fantasy team's performance this year. And doesn't even come close to how much @DeacDiggler sucks. But from a pure fantasy perspective, 4 weeks in is when you can really tell whether you have a chance of making something of the season if you are stuck in a hellpit of suckitude from which the only relief is the fact that eventually next season will roll around and you get to try again. I don't like it, it sucks. Hopefully there can be a turnaround and a few weeks from now I can count myself among the wildcard contenders, along with the rest of us taking up residence at the bottom of our division standings. Let's look at what happened in Week 4:

WEEK 4 STATS

Pit Week 4 Scores.jpg Week 4 Stats.jpg

WEEK 4 NOTES
  • Offense Wins Games, And So Does Defense: Sometimes you win games off the back of breakout performances from superstar players. Sometimes an unexpected player has the week of his life. And sometimes a collective group of unheralded defensive and special team players band together to push you to the win, and so it was for four teams in Week 4. @OblongPickle, @DeaconPeach, @BarcaDeac and @Satan all got big wins with their defense landing in the top 3 scorers for their team, led by Barca's massive 27 points from Dallas. And in most other weeks, @Wolf1297 and @Ghostsurfer (or is it @Ghost_Surfer? Hard to tell these days) would have joined them but for losing tough matchups against super high-scoring teams. The Seahawks defense almost single-handedly clawed back a near-insurmountable deficit for Ghost on Monday night, proving just how valuable the right defense can be in the right week. With injuries coming fast and furious across the league, whoever has a reliable defense may have the edge come playoff season.​
  • The Best Ability is Availability: Injuries continue to mount across the league and Week 5 starts the three-month window of bye weeks, meaning those with stretched lineups are going to be stretched even thinner. Teams like @deacon14 and @DeacHawk have crept into the division lead despite missing out on key roster pieces, and even teams like @Screamindemon3 and @redwing42 who are fighting to get back into the race are also suffering from major roster losses. The big question that all teams who have suffered injury losses will wonder is if/when some of those players can come back: will Austin Ekeler or Jamaal Williams get right in the next couple weeks? Will Cooper Kupp or Kyler Murray play this season, and will it be soon enough to matter? Will Jonathan Taylor end his holdout? No one knows but the fantasy gods, but the answers to those questions undoubtedly will play a key role in how this season goes for many.​
  • Scoring Out of Whack: I don't know that I've seen a series of weeks quite like this before. League average scoring hovers between 70-75 points week-to-week per team, but the last three weeks has seen that increase to 80 points per team, per week. This week in particular saw over two-thirds of the league score at least what the normal average would be, with over half exceeding even the average from the last couple of weeks. The aforementioned defensive uptick has surely contributed to it, but there also has been a rash of truly incredible scoring performances from individual players with 11 players exceeding 30 points on their own since Week 2, three of which crossed the 40-point marker. The threshold of victory has never been higher and lineup decisions more impactful than ever as any given week could be the week your bench player becomes a stud. It remains to be seen if this is a minor blip or if we are in a new normal where fantasy scoring has grown to new heights. Either way, I can't pick the correct lineup to save my life.​
  • Ph Watch: @PhDeac lost to Peach in Week 4.​
  • #DIGGLERSUCKS: Digger still sucks.​
WEEK 5 PREVIEW

DEACHAWK (4-0) vs. D14 (3-1)

Our lone rookie in 2023 is having a great start to the season behind top-10 ranked performances from Kirk Cousins, Nico Collins (lol) and Jake Ferguson. But in Week 5 the young whippersnapper comes up against his biggest test in undefeated DEACHAWK who has made it a habit to steamroll everyone, most recently stopping the smoking hot run that @JamesSokolove was on. But as mentioned in the previous section, DEACHAWK is beset my injuries. Already missing Diontae Johnson, he also lost the sexual assailant Deshaun Watson in Week 4 and appears to have neither available in Week 5. A lot rides on a rookie QB decision between Aidan O'Connell and DTR, a decision that could swing the tides in his favor (or not matter because they both might be bad). Sometimes the schedule gods smile upon you, D14. Take advantage.

Lone Wolf (3-1) vs. Satan (3-1)

Only one other game this week between teams with winning records as the class of the league in Satan meets a stiff test from Wolf. Satan boasts the two highest scoring offensive players in the league with CMC and Justin Herbert, but Wolf is no slouch with three top-20 players of his own to his credit. Neither team has scored fewer than 87 points since Week 2, so this matchup should produce fireworks, and the winner will gain an enormous leg up on the chasing pack: Wolf to solidify his position atop the Poteat Division and Satan to take full control of the wildcard race. Neither team would be in trouble should the lose the game this week, but securing a 4th win when it usually only takes 8 to go to the playoffs will feel incredibly good here in the first week of October.

Best of luck to all in Week 5, and always remember: #DIGGLERSUCKS

Last edited:
dv7 broke the formatting again, at least it's easier to fix now

I'm just hoping to stay out of the bottom four so I don't get relegated.

I swear to fucking Christ I’m going 0-14, holy shit I can’t catch a break. How is this the week of all weeks I’m going against DJ Moore in both leagues?

Back