• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Aaron Curry traded to Raiders

AC needs to go to Baltimore and learn under Terrell Suggs and Ray Lewis. That D needs some more youth and with vets Lewis, Reed, Suggs, Ngata and Redding in place, he would be able to learn how to play in the limelight without being expected to make so many big plays, and when he makes a mistake a guy like Ray Lewis will be right behind him to clean it up. He has too much pressure on him in Seattle I believe and its starting to show, so he needs to go to a stout D like the Ravens who could use another OLB and I think AC will become the beast like he was at Wake in a couple years. Also, another thing about Seattle, I dont think its the right place for Curry, he is such a fast LB and Seattle has a really slow defense, he's just not in sync with the rest of the D. If they had faster players on that D I think it would REALLY help Curry as he wouldnt be the only defensive player within 10 yards of an offensive player trying to make the tackle. In short, he's too fast for Seattle. Which is another reason Baltimore would be a perfect fit for AC.

Huh?

His support of UNC put that chip on his shoulder that SDeacz pointed out motivated him at Wake. I don't remember him speaking poorly of the program. I remember him speaking about why the program is doing poorly.

I hate UNC, but I don't think any differently of him than the Ohio State fans who post here or guys like dv7 who would burn Wake to the ground if his ManU overlords told him too. Not only that, but AC has done a ton more for Wake football than any of us, so who cares if he's a UNC fan.

I don't care if he is a UNC hoops fan. I can definitely appreciate loyalty to your childhood teams.

I don't care if he is a UNC hoops fan. I can definitely appreciate loyalty to your childhood teams.

AC can cheer for whoever he wants to, I appreciate what he did for WFU and hope he finds success in the NFL.

That said, if AC was a personal friend, I would be giving him shit about cheering for Carolina. Carolina was my "childhood team" too but 7 years at Wake taught me the true religion of hating any and everything related to the sports programs of that institution.

well yea that was a little strange. i guess i meant i agreed on the baltimore part.

Yeah, if you're a really fast player in a defense full of slow players, you should be starring instead of sitting.

Yeah, if you're a really fast player in a defense full of slow players, you should be starring instead of sitting.

I can see the coaches sitting in the film room right now saying, "That damn Curry is too fast! He's screwing up all our defensive schemes. Let's bench him and put the slow guy in because that will match up better with the rest of our defense."

He lost me on the whole speed thing.

Alright let me explain what I meant, as I can see it is pretty confusing. Curry is a very fast player, and plays on a really slow team. For example in a game I saw AC play last year, Curry blew through the offensive line and ran over the full back on a pitch play and then and hit the RB about a yard shy of the line of scrimage, almost bringing him to the ground the the RB bounced up and took off for for about 40 yards down field. The announcers ripped curry a new asshole for not making the tackle. What I saw was, no other seattle player even close to Curry. Now all of a sudden curry looks like a bad player. Now, lets put curry in the same situation in Baltimore. Curry blazes through the O-Line, destroys the full back and knocks the RB off course again..but doesnt bring him down. The next thing that happens is either Ray Lewis, Ed Reed, Haloti Ngata or Terrell Suggs or a combination of all of them arrive and take the ball carrier down immideately for no gain. The announcers would then rave about how curry "Blew up that play" and put a stop to it. Eventually, Curry will be making that tackle, especially if guys like Lewis and Suggs are helping him mature. Curry has freak atleticisim, he just needs the coaching and mentoring of players and coaches that know how to channel all that energy and athleticisim into an unstobable force, which he could certainly become. Just watch what suggs does every game. Thats what Curry could become with the right coaching and mentoring.

Oh and in case anyone hasn't seen me say it, i'll say it again. Pete Carroll BLOWS! He and his defensive game plan are killing AC IMO.

I guess I understand whay you're saying, but I really don't think that failing to wrap up on potential tackles for loss is what got AC benched. I haven't watched him this year, but watching him last year I thought that receivers were having way too easy of a time catching balls in his zone and he was always tackling from behind on running plays that had gone for six yards. And those were virtually the only plays that he was involved in.

I guess I understand whay you're saying, but I really don't think that failing to wrap up on potential tackles for loss is what got AC benched. I haven't watched him this year, but watching him last year I thought that receivers were having way too easy of a time catching balls in his zone and he was always tackling from behind on running plays that had gone for six yards. And those were virtually the only plays that he was involved in.

His pass coverage could use alot of work, but the good news is he has the skill set to become a beast. The coaches in Seattle just dont put him in the right situations. And their D-line isnt all that great. IMO Curry is going to need better players around him before he "breaks out". Also, he's gonna need coaches that know how to use him too

From what I've seen, it looks like he cares alot about Wake football.
I can understand why some former players don't though. Depends how they view it, as a job or a life enriching experience.

Great post.

How does a guy who had amazing pick 6's in college suddenly become unable to pass defend? Since I hardly ever see Seattle I can't say. But I'm having a hard time understanding how anyone could say Curry can't play pass defense. I get the fact the NFL is another level but it's not like Curry was playing against a bunch of shlubs every Saturday.

Just because he had a couple of Pick 6's in college doesnt mean he is great in pass coverage. It just means when he gets his hands on the ball he can actually do something with it unlike most guys his size. He is decent in pass coverage, but it still needs alot of work.

And yeah he was the fastest at the combine. I believe Stanley Aarnoux was the second fastest too.

Just because he had a couple of Pick 6's in college doesnt mean he is great in pass coverage. It just means when he gets his hands on the ball he can actually do something with it unlike most guys his size. He is decent in pass coverage, but it still needs alot of work.

And yeah he was the fastest at the combine. I believe Stanley Aarnoux was the second fastest too.

He was damn good in coverage when he was at Wake. I was there watching him. Seattle blows ass and I personally believe, as I did with Calvin Pace, that the guy is a player and better days are down the road. And he can name his kid Dean Smith Curry for all I care. He was a big time Deac and one day he'll look back on those days and come to appreciate them if he doesn't already.

Is it possible that Curry just had a ton of freedom at Wake to be wherever he felt he needed to be? As a pro he just struggles to play within a specific position and play a certain role.

Is it possible that Curry just had a ton of freedom at Wake to be wherever he felt he needed to be? As a pro he just struggles to play within a specific position and play a certain role.

It's possible. But Wake had defensive schemes. You know that. It wasn't like he was a rover back or something.

Schemes, yes. But did Curry have more freedom to be out of position to make plays than he has in Seattle?

I have no idea. I'm just throwing out ideas.

Back