• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Army Post-Game Discussion / Indiana Game Week Thread

So you're suggesting we learn a new formation altogether? We don't really have the personnel on the OL to run the wildcat or to put our 2nd string QB in at tailback.

Our running backs are bad blockers, but this would exacerbate the problems tremendously. I would like to see Hinton see the field in some packages, but at QB, not another skill position.

If I were Clawson I'd put Hinton and Wolford in the game at the same time. Hinton does not have to play QB to be a weapon. Move them both around.

Agreed. Let's see if we can injure both of our QBs on the same play.

Agreed. Let's see if we can injure both of our QBs on the same play.

Yeah, not sure using our 2nd team QB at another position that doesn't allow the same level of protection from the referees is a good idea.

I feel like people have an urge to continue this thread beyond "Wolford starts if he's 100%" by posting their strange ideas.

I was actually pretty disappointed that the staff put Wolford back in after he was hurt. I get that he's tough, but he couldn't step into any throws and he couldn't move well at all. Hinton has some definite skill, but it's pretty obvious he is way behind Wolford in the eyes of the staff. Hinton just taking off every other play isn't going to work against better teams. Heck, it wouldn't have worked against Army either if they'd been preparing for him instead of Wolford.

I was actually pretty disappointed that the staff put Wolford back in after he was hurt. I get that he's tough, but he couldn't step into any throws and he couldn't move well at all. Hinton has some definite skill, but it's pretty obvious he is way behind Wolford in the eyes of the staff. Hinton just taking off every other play isn't going to work against better teams. Heck, it wouldn't have worked against Army either if they'd been preparing for him instead of Wolford.

The thing is, his last play of the game was the bad INT over the middle, which looked like it had nothing to do with the injury. He threw from the pocket and just made a bad read and/or never saw the LB who he threw it right to.

Kind of interesting anticipating what the Gameplan would be when WF had a 14-7 4th quarter lead with Hinton in the game. True freshmen QBs are always so vulnerable to bad decision picks as they are literally making reads and decisions for the first time with bullets flying. So, was not surprised at all, when WF turned it over to let Army back in the game. In retrospect, I love the fearlessness of the staff. Feel like their attitude: was this isn't about beating Army (as it appeared that Hinton could run against them at will; worst case scenario, Kinal would pin Army deep and Army was unable to put together long drives against the WF defense all day), but preparing for the rest of the season and beyond. For WF to find long term success, Hinton is going to have to be able to read the defense and hit his receivers. Only so much of that can be learned in practice. Rather than go to conservative and seal up the win, with a seven point lead and the ball, WF called pass plays on 6 consecutive plays leading up to the Army pick (Hinton scrambled on one play). While frustrating, Hinton is a better QB now then he would've been had WF tried to go conservative in the 4th quarter.

Wolford will start if he is healthy. If not, Hinton will be more ready to play than he otherwise would've been.

Kind of interesting anticipating what the Gameplan would be when WF had a 14-7 4th quarter lead with Hinton in the game. True freshmen QBs are always so vulnerable to bad decision picks as they are literally making reads and decisions for the first time with bullets flying. So, was not surprised at all, when WF turned it over to let Army back in the game. In retrospect, I love the fearlessness of the staff. Feel like their attitude: was this isn't about beating Army (as it appeared that Hinton could run against them at will; worst case scenario, Kinal would pin Army deep and Army was unable to put together long drives against the WF defense all day), but preparing for the rest of the season and beyond. For WF to find long term success, Hinton is going to have to be able to read the defense and hit his receivers. Only so much of that can be learned in practice. Rather than go to conservative and seal up the win, with a seven point lead and the ball, WF called pass plays on 6 consecutive plays leading up to the Army pick (Hinton scrambled on one play). While frustrating, Hinton is a better QB now then he would've been had WF tried to go conservative in the 4th quarter.

Wolford will start if he is healthy. If not, Hinton will be more ready to play than he otherwise would've been.

Figuratively. I mean it was Army, but still.

The thing is, his last play of the game was the bad INT over the middle, which looked like it had nothing to do with the injury. He threw from the pocket and just made a bad read and/or never saw the LB who he threw it right to.

He couldn't get anything on his throws with that ankle. Strongly disagree that pick had "nothing to do with the injury."

He couldn't get anything on his throws with that ankle. Strongly disagree that pick had "nothing to do with the injury."

I still think he may have gotten his bell rung and wasn't 100 percent mentally. Until they specifically stated it was "a lower leg injury" I thought it was a head or neck injury.

That and his mobility was drastically decreased, meaning he couldn't avoid pressure/step up which meant he had to make faster reads and that leads to mistakes. Even if there isn't immediate pressure, his internal clock was sped up.

Although I have no connection to Wake, I'm a regular on the board's soccer threads, and have been since the board migrated from Scout. I just stumbled upon the ongoing footy discussions and never left. Anyway, I'm an IU grad and unlike most of my IU friends, I follow the football program very closely.

The quick summary, which others on this thread have alluded to, is that IU is very good offensively, but not at all good defensively. IU's QB, Nate Sudfeld, is a 4 star kid from California who originally committed to Arizona but decided to decommit after Arizona hired Rich Rod who had no need for pocket passers. Sudfeld followed Arizona's outgoing O-coordinator, Seth Littrell to IU. Littrell left IU after two years and is now the O-coordinator at UNC. Sudfeld is a 6'5" pocket QB, he can make all the throws, and he's accurate with the ball. He doesn't get the hype guys like Connor Cook and Christian Hackenberg get but he's a legit NFL prospect and he's been outstanding so far this season.

IU's RB is Jordan Howard, a transfer from UAB who rushed for more than 1,500 yards a year ago before that program folded. So far this year, he's leading the B1G in rushing with over 500 yards in 3 games. He's big and physical and while not a burner, he's agile enough to hit the whole fast and decisively. He's the kind of back that almost never loses yardage, but isn't really a threat to take the ball and go 70 yards for a TD.

The WRs and TEs are solid and the O-line is a real strength. It's big, physical and experienced.

The IU defense is mostly poor, particularly in the secondary where IU starts two true freshmen and plays 3 others in the rotation. The one qualifier I'll offer is that in the first game, where IU's defense gave up something like 650 yards to Southern Illinois, a solid but not great FCS team, IU had 4 of its 5 or 6 best defenders out suspended or injured. The defense Wake will face will include all of those players. Western Kentucky was able to exploit that full strength defense through the air. The question is whether Wake has a passing attack that can do the same.

BTB, thanks for the view from the other sideline. How is Kevin Wilson being judged by the fan base? Will they give him enough time or is he on the hot seat?

Although I have no connection to Wake, I'm a regular on the board's soccer threads, and have been since the board migrated from Scout. I just stumbled upon the ongoing footy discussions and never left. Anyway, I'm an IU grad and unlike most of my IU friends, I follow the football program very closely.

The quick summary, which others on this thread have alluded to, is that IU is very good offensively, but not at all good defensively. IU's QB, Nate Sudfeld, is a 4 star kid from California who originally committed to Arizona but decided to decommit after Arizona hired Rich Rod who had no need for pocket passers. Sudfeld followed Arizona's outgoing O-coordinator, Seth Littrell to IU. Littrell left IU after two years and is now the O-coordinator at UNC. Sudfeld is a 6'5" pocket QB, he can make all the throws, and he's accurate with the ball. He doesn't get the hype guys like Connor Cook and Christian Hackenberg get but he's a legit NFL prospect and he's been outstanding so far this season.

IU's RB is Jordan Howard, a transfer from UAB who rushed for more than 1,500 yards a year ago before that program folded. So far this year, he's leading the B1G in rushing with over 500 yards in 3 games. He's big and physical and while not a burner, he's agile enough to hit the whole fast and decisively. He's the kind of back that almost never loses yardage, but isn't really a threat to take the ball and go 70 yards for a TD.

The WRs and TEs are solid and the O-line is a real strength. It's big, physical and experienced.

The IU defense is mostly poor, particularly in the secondary where IU starts two true freshmen and plays 3 others in the rotation. The one qualifier I'll offer is that in the first game, where IU's defense gave up something like 650 yards to Southern Illinois, a solid but not great FCS team, IU had 4 of its 5 or 6 best defenders out suspended or injured. The defense Wake will face will include all of those players. Western Kentucky was able to exploit that full strength defense through the air. The question is whether Wake has a passing attack that can do the same.

Our O-line is the real strength too, for the other team that is.:thumbsup:

BTB, thanks for the view from the other sideline. How is Kevin Wilson being judged by the fan base? Will they give him enough time or is he on the hot seat?

IU football fans are mostly a realistic bunch (quite unlike IU basketball fans) and there are two good reasons why Wilson hasn't yet received a ton of heat. First, he's consistently recruited at a higher level than any IU coach in the last 20 years. Before Wilson, anywhere from 50-75% of IU's recruits every year were choosing between IU and a MAC school. Since Wilson arrived, the vast majority of IU recruits had other BCS level offers at the time they committed.

The second reason is that Wilson was trending up each year (1 win to 4 wins to 5 wins) until last year when IU lost Sudfeld to injury after the two back up QBs had transferred out. IU had been good enough to win at Mizzou but after Sudfeld went out, IU had to play a 165 pound true freshman QB who simply wasn't anywhere near ready for college football. IU finished last year with only 4 wins but with an enormous asterisk. Had Sudfeld stayed healthy, IU had a reasonable chance to beat Michigan, PSU, and Rutgers, all of which IU played closely into the 4th quarter without any passing game at all. IU actually led OSU at OSU late in the 3rd quarter without any threat to throw the ball, mostly due to the brilliance of Tevin Coleman.

We must score a lot of points to beat Indiana. They have a good offense so the grind it out offense we saw against Syracuse & Army will not work. While our defense is pretty good, we need to get a rush on them and not put too much pressure on the DB's as we saw what happened in the 2nd half at 'Cuse. Get the ball to Cam & KJ a lot.

Rain is in the forecast. Maybe that can ugly the game up for us a little.

Back