• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Basketball Ticket Exchange

The only venue (that I am aware of) in professional or major college sports that has reasonably priced concessions is Mercedes-Benz Stadium in Atlanta, thanks to Arthur Blank. Despite them saying it has not affected their total sales and net income (they are selling more food at lower prices), no other venues/teams have followed suit.

My wife and I both ate lunch there yesterday for about $30. That price is fine. Alcohol is where they get you at sporting events which is why I rarely buy beers at stadiums. The problem is the quality. We know they can do better than that because they’re doing great right across the street for football. Even the regular stadium concessions are pretty damn good.

The only venue (that I am aware of) in professional or major college sports that has reasonably priced concessions is Mercedes-Benz Stadium in Atlanta, thanks to Arthur Blank. Despite them saying it has not affected their total sales and net income (they are selling more food at lower prices), no other venues/teams have followed suit.

Yeah. Big espn article a few years back about how successful that approach has been. They've made more money than they did before. The only time I went to MB it absolutely affected my purchasing. I wanted some popcorn. It was iirc $5. So I got some. But no way in hell I pay $10 or more for that. Same applies to everything they have there. Great selection. Great value

It’s fantastic. $6 chicken tenders and fries; $1.50 hot dogs; $2 pretzels and popcorn; $2 soft drinks with free refills; $2 (I think - I haven’t gotten it) pizza slices; and $5 12 oz domestic beers ($8.50 20 oz domestics; $9.50 craft/imports). There’s also plenty of other options (BBQ, Mexican, etc.) that are more in line with typical stadium prices, but for the basics, it’s amazing.

They did these fan surveys before opening the new stadium and the two things that pissed people off the most were parking/time to get in and out of the stadium and concession prices. They said there’s not much we can do about the first thing, but we can definitely take care of the second. It was definitely one of the best decisions they could have made. I’m somewhat surprised more venues haven’t followed suit.

Last edited:
I assume part of the pricing is because they don’t want people getting drunk but my philosophy is this: if you have $5 beers, I’ll probably buy 3-4. If you have $8-13 dollar beers, I’m buying 0.

The thing about drinking at sporting events in the south is if you have to drive home you really shouldn’t be drinking more than 3 beers anyway. I’m guessing the pricing might have something to do with that.

The thing about drinking at sporting events in the south is if you have to drive home you really shouldn’t be drinking more than 3 beers anyway. I’m guessing the pricing might have something to do with that.
If you’re going to sporting events anywhere other than Boston, NYC, or Chicago then you are probably driving. Hell, and that doesn’t even include all of Boston. Have you seen where Foxborough is?

Yeah I mean at 80 bucks to feed a family of 3 you're approaching the point where a lot of people are gonna plan around not eating at the game.

The question is whether that offsets the increased profit you're getting per order

College basketball games are right at 2 hours. It's not unreasonable to plan your meals so they are before or after....? Are you really gonna skip a 2:00 game because you need a meal between 2:00 and 4:00? What am I missing?

College basketball games are right at 2 hours. It's not unreasonable to plan your meals so they are before or after....? Are you really gonna skip a 2:00 game because you need a meal between 2:00 and 4:00? What am I missing?

Completely agree. I never got food at game back in the day even though the roasted nuts smelled so good.

I don’t think anyone was saying people are skipping games for meals, just that people who might otherwise eat at a game are planning around that and eating before or after to avoid paying stadium prices (clearly less of an issue for a 2pm game than say a 6 or 7pm or noon tip-off).

I mean we were running late and left home at 12:45 without eating lunch so we got to the game just before 2.

If food is preventing you from attending the games, I would pack sandwiches for the car the night before. 10 minutes of extra planning shouldn’t prevent your attendance.

It’s fantastic. $6 chicken tenders and fries; $1.50 hot dogs; $2 pretzels and popcorn; $2 soft drinks with free refills; $2 (I think - I haven’t gotten it) pizza slices; and $5 12 oz domestic beers ($8.50 20 oz domestics; $9.50 craft/imports). There’s also plenty of other options (BBQ, Mexican, etc.) that are more in line with typical stadium prices, but for the basics, it’s amazing.

They did these fan surveys before opening the new stadium and the two things that pissed people off the most were parking/time to get in and out of the stadium and concession prices. They said there’s not much we can do about the first thing, but we can definitely take care of the second. It was definitely one of the best decisions they could have made. I’m somewhat surprised more venues haven’t followed suit.
I did not know they did that, that's awesome!

I don’t think anyone was talking about skipping games. Just that the prices are too high. For those coming into town just for the game and leaving right after, it’s not unreasonable to plan to eat at the game so you’re not on the road more time than you need to be.

People are obsessed with food?

People spend time waiting in line for food instead of watching the game? Or riding the ride etc. I pay $200 to get into Disney or whatever, then spend 90 minutes standing in line, not for a ride, but for food.

Eating at a game isn't a big priority for me. I will typically grab a Deacon Brew before tip-off, then maybe some popcorn and a couple more Deacon Brews.

If anyone needs courtside tickets to the away game @ Duke on Tuesday night let me know. I requested 4 through the Duke ticket office (they don't sell tickets, you just make a request) and my request was granted for 4 seats in Section 17 which is general admission right at courtside. I have to "confirm" my request by end of day tomorrow if I want them and am not planning on going. Would snag em and give them to another Deac at actually cost if anyone wants them (a touch under $100). I think the section is normally reserved for the cameron crazies but they must not be as crazy as they used to be because there were some tickets left for the general public. Actual cost from Duke is right just $100 per ticket + some small fees which is kind of nuts but probably makes sense for Duke since their arena is smaller. PM me if anyone wants the experience! If I don't get any takers I can just tell them I don't want them anymore.

Back