• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BC @ WFU – Sat 10/22 – 3:30 ACCN

They're 24th in the Colley, which is 20 slots higher than any other computer ranking.

Do you also think UCF was the best team in 2017 ? Because that's what the Colley Matrix says.
The National Champs? Yeah.

They're 24th in the Colley, which is 20 slots higher than any other computer ranking.

Do you also think UCF was the best team in 2017 ? Because that's what the Colley Matrix says.

24th, 44th, it was still a good win. You don’t respect Liberty because they aren’t a P5 opponent, your opinion is noted - move on.

I know Salter was out but needing a late TD to beat Gardner-Webb 21-20 and only having an 85% post game win expectancy as a 25 point favorite isn’t ideal

My problem with the Liberty win has a lot more to do with Wake's performance in the game than Liberty's level of play.

24th, 44th, it was still a good win. You don’t respect Liberty because they aren’t a P5 opponent, your opinion is noted - move on.
Yeah, I know. I mean geez, they were on your schedule and we won, case closed. It wasn't pretty, but whatever FCS school Petrino is at was beating Arkansas in the 4th quarter. Sometimes you struggle with opponents you shouldn't, all you can do is play your schedule and count them up at the end.

It was a classic trap game and our team got trapped. Any concerns I had were addressed by taking Clemson to 2OT and beating up FSU and Army.

come on people, escaping by one point at home against liberty was not a good win.

Last edited:
And it wouldn’t matter if it was supposed to be our second easiest game to date - the win would be all that mattered.

But if it’s our second best game on the resume? Well, we haven’t done a whole lot yet even though I think we are pretty good. Our chance to prove something comes over the last 5 games.

come on people, escaping by one point at home win against liberty was not a good win.
Yeah, but still whining about that game after we've taken Clemson to double OT, won convincingly at FSU and hammering Army is getting old. We won and it's counts 1 in the win column whether we win by 1 or 50.

come on people, escaping by one point at home win against liberty was not a good win.
Think everyone agrees that WF played like crap against Liberty with Clemson on deck. Liberty obviously took the week off against G-W (BYU travels to Liberty this week; so, it was a look ahead spot for the Flamers) . All of that said, Liberty is 6-1, hosting BYU on Saturday (the Mormons are favored by 5.5). Think Liberty may pull the upset. After BYU, Liberty will favored in three of their remaining 4 games (yes, they will be favored over VT). Liberty will be a huge dog at Arkansas. So, if Liberty goes 10-2, that win, even though WF played poorly, will help WF's resume.

And it wouldn’t matter if it was supposed to be our second easiest game to date - the win would be all that mattered.

But if it’s our second best game on the resume? Well, we haven’t done a whole lot yet even though I think we are pretty good. Our chance to prove something comes over the last 5 games.
Winning at Vandy the 2nd game of the season when they were a media darling after their first 2 games is our 2nd best win as far as I'm concerned. Remember their QB that was everybody was talking about after their first 2 games? Has he been seen since.

Winning at Vandy the 2nd game of the season when they were a media darling after their first 2 games is our 2nd best win as far as I'm concerned. Remember their QB that was everybody was talking about after their first 2 games? Has he been seen since.
Ok, Vandy is our second best win so far. Woof.

I’m not sure which was worse — our 21-22 basketball nonconference schedule or our 2022 football version. They are comparable.

I’m not sure which was worse — our 21-22 basketball nonconference schedule or our 2022 football version. They are comparable.
kinda funny about that Vandy hype going into the game. many pundits were all aboard with them being ranked going into their Bama game. we beat them handily and now get no credit for it since hey it actually turns out they suck once again.

but our schedule overall will be much better this year since there was literally only 1 ACC game between ranked teams last year (which we won). we will likely have at least 2-3 more this season on top of the Clemson and FSU games.

My advice as a very long time Wake Forest football fan, enjoy the unprecedented success we're having instead of wasting energy on who we play and how we win. Liberty has a history of giving P5 teams a scare or even winning, we played poorly and won and have played 3 really good games since then, move on.

kinda funny about that Vandy hype going into the game. many pundits were all aboard with them being ranked going into their Bama game. we beat them handily and now get no credit for it since hey it actually turns out they suck once again.

but our schedule overall will be much better this year since there was literally only 1 ACC game between ranked teams last year (which we won). we will likely have at least 2-3 more this season on top of the Clemson and FSU games.
I know, a lot of people were picking Vandy and their QB was going to run all over us, blah-blah.

FWIW, here are the Sag ratings for each opponent that WF has defeated:

1. FSU #36
2. Liberty #88
3. Vandy #117
4. Army #119
5. VMI #224

WF has played a 'get bowl-eligible' schedule; not make noise in the top 15 schedule.

Sag ratings for remaining opponents:

1. Cuse #37
2. NC State #38
3. UNC #40
4. L'ville #46
5. Duke #66
6. BC #105

Hated the fact that WF played a "hey, let's make sure we get to 7 wins schedule" rather than let's make some noise nationally schedule. If WF had played at LSU or at A&M (would like our chances against either), like Miami and FSU did, WF might have a playoff argument, even with the Clemson loss. Now with our schedule, WF does not.

I don't see any reason why we should lose any of the remaining games. If we win out and our only loss is to a playoff bound Clemson, I think we could make a justifiable argument to be included. If we lose, then it wouldn't have mattered if we beat LSU or A&M as the ACC loss would be an anchor.

Agree with the above post saying enjoy the unprecedented success versus bitching about picking too light of a schedule.

FWIW, here are the Sag ratings for each opponent that WF has defeated:

1. FSU #36
2. Liberty #88
3. Vandy #117
4. Army #119
5. VMI #224

WF has played a 'get bowl-eligible' schedule; not make noise in the top 15 schedule.

Sag ratings for remaining opponents:

1. Cuse #37
2. NC State #38
3. UNC #40
4. L'ville #46
5. Duke #66
6. BC #105

Hated the fact that WF played a "hey, let's make sure we get to 7 wins schedule" rather than let's make some noise nationally schedule. If WF had played at LSU or at A&M (would like our chances against either), like Miami and FSU did, WF might have a playoff argument, even with the Clemson loss. Now with our schedule, WF does not.
Agree with the wish that Wake had a better schedule this season. But in reality, there is no one-loss version of an ACC team other than Clemson that might have a playoff argument, ever. Just the sad state of things.

BTW, the starting QB in our Vandy game, Mike Wright, has been benched and AJ Swann, who came in for him in the second half, is now the starter.

Swann got his first start against Northern Illinois and the results have been:

Vandy 38-28 (18/28, 255 yards, 4 TD)
Alabama 55-3
Ole Miss 52-28 (27/38, 281, 2TD)
Georgia 55-0

BTW, the starting QB in our Vandy game, Mike Wright, has been benched and AJ Swann, who came in for him in the second half, is now the starter.

Swann got his first start against Alabama and the results have been:

Alabama 55-3
Ole Miss 52-28 (27/38, 281, 2TD)
Georgia 55-0
Yeah I know and we're the ones that benched him after he was a darling after their first 2 games.

Back