• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BC @ WFU – Sat 10/22 – 3:30 ACCN

My advice as a very long time Wake Forest football fan, enjoy the unprecedented success we're having instead of wasting energy on who we play and how we win. Liberty has a history of giving P5 teams a scare or even winning, we played poorly and won and have played 3 really good games since then, move on.
FWIW, I’m 100% on board with this. I’m thoroughly enjoying what I view as our best team ever and the high ranking that goes along with our 5-1 record. I wish we we’re still in the division race, but we can’t have it all and the nonconference doesn’t change that.

I’m also happy we escaped with a W against Liberty as it could have easily been much worse as a loss. I just don’t think we have anything to point to as far as a resume to date. So my comments are more directed at whoever is trying to prop up Liberty/Vandy/etc as a good win given the lack of other options to point to, whoever can’t believe we aren’t top 10, or are behind State (not any more!) or USC or whoever, or not getting enough national respect/coverage.

I’m not going to argue any of that nor get worked up over it as it doesn’t matter — and have chosen to do exactly what you said…just enjoy the machine that is our offense and whatever improvement the defense wants to show us.

I don't see any reason why we should lose any of the remaining games. If we win out and our only loss is to a playoff bound Clemson, I think we could make a justifiable argument to be included. If we lose, then it wouldn't have mattered if we beat LSU or A&M as the ACC loss would be an anchor.

Agree with the above post saying enjoy the unprecedented success versus bitching about picking too light of a schedule.

The schedule was selected years ago. That's a past problem. The Wake-Vandy series was announced in early 2016. Clawson (3-9) and Mason (4-8) were coming off the 2nd season of their rebuilds.

The big question is how Currie and Clawson replace Liberty in future schedules. Will they add an FCS or add a P5 opponent?

The schedule was selected years ago. That's a past problem. The Wake-Vandy series was announced in early 2016. Clawson (3-9) and Mason (4-8) were coming off the 2nd season of their rebuilds.

The big question is how Currie and Clawson replace Liberty in future schedules. Will they add an FCS or add a P5 opponent?
My daughter asked me why are games scheduled so far in advance and I didn't have a good answer for her. It is crazy. Somebody on TV pointed out the other day how stupid it is, that in the 2020 season BYU and Coastal Carolina was able to put together a game in a matter of days and yet the powers that be act like you have to schedule OOC games so far in advance.

FWIW, I’m 100% on board with this. I’m thoroughly enjoying what I view as our best team ever and the high ranking that goes along with our 5-1 record. I wish we we’re still in the division race, but we can’t have it all and the nonconference doesn’t change that.

I’m also happy we escaped with a W against Liberty as it could have easily been much worse as a loss. I just don’t think we have anything to point to as far as a resume to date. So my comments are more directed at whoever is trying to prop up Liberty/Vandy/etc as a good win given the lack of other options to point to, whoever can’t believe we aren’t top 10, or are behind State (not any more!) or USC or whoever, or not getting enough national respect/coverage.

I’m not going to argue any of that nor get worked up over it as it doesn’t matter — and have chosen to do exactly what you said…just enjoy the machine that is our offense and whatever improvement the defense wants to show us.
Yeah, we're going to get plenty of opportunities from here on out to show how good we are. The level of success we've been seeing for several years now was only a pipe dream back when I was waiting from 1979 to 1992 between bowl bids.

I've seen a trend this year that Vandy is not good and if you score over 50 against them, sometimes less, you'll likely win.

Yeah, we're going to get plenty of opportunities from here on out to show how good we are. The level of success we've been seeing for several years now was only a pipe dream back when I was waiting from 1979 to 1992 between bowl bids.

I recall the beginning of the 2006 season when Obie (the Orange Bowl mascot) visited Groves as he made his rounds. Everyone in our row was laughing at just what a joke it was for the Orange Bowl to be visiting LOWF.

Welp....

What about between 1945 and 1979?

I recall the beginning of the 2006 season when Obie (the Orange Bowl mascot) visited Groves as he made his rounds. Everyone in our row was laughing at just what a joke it was for the Orange Bowl to be visiting LOWF.

Welp....

I still use the handful of freebie koozies I got from that visit.

I've seen a trend this year that Vandy is not good and if you score over 50 against them, sometimes less, you'll likely win.
Well obviously. Some of us were just pointing out how prior to our game against Vandy, a lot of media experts were high on Vandy and picking them to upset us.

I don’t know why anybody thought Vandy was good. They blew out an awful Hawaii team and that’s it. They were never going to be good.

I don’t know why anybody thought Vandy was good. They blew out an awful Hawaii team and that’s it. They were never going to be good.
You know how the media likes to jump on an early season surprise team and then hope it doesn't buck them off. Well except when that team is us for some reason.

Welp....

Was there and confess to a similar chuckle.

there was one year around then when the CFA Bowl reps were in the student lot handing out big bags of CFA sandwiches and swag like stuffed cows and foam footballs. we parked and they ran up to us and gave everyone in our car a bag, which was like 40 total sandwiches.

Schedules are set way in advance. I understand why WF made its 2022 OOC schedule when it did (as no one thought WF would be 15-4 over a two year stretch in football), but you can either buy out of games or postpone scheduled OOC games. WF is now scheduled to play N. Illinois in 2026 that was part of a 2 for 1 that was scheduled a decade+ a go, and the game 3 (N. Illinois at WF) keeps getting pushed back. Air Force was supposed to play at WF as the return game when WF played at AF forever ago, but that return game kept getting pushed back; it eventually just disappeared. WF/Liberty voluntarily agreed to discontinue their series. The bottom line is that, as circumstances change, every program can change previously scheduled OOC games if they choose to do so.

The kickoff classic games often get scheduled just a year or so before the games to enhance the chances that the game is against two competitive teams. Those teams just buy out or rearrange current commitments. If WF keep winning lots of games, it will get a chance to play in one of those games.

Last edited:
why is it that most OOC bball games are scheduled season to season but in CFB it can be decades in advance?

Schedules are set way in advance. I understand why WF made its 2022 OOC schedule when it did (as no one thought WF would be 15-4 over a two year stretch in football), but you can either buy out of games or postpone scheduled OOC games. WF is now scheduled to play N. Illinois in 2026 that was part of a 2 for 1 that was scheduled a decade+ a go, and the game 3 (N. Illinois at WF) keeps getting pushed back. Air Force was supposed to play at WF as the return game when WF played at AF forever ago, but that return game kept getting pushed back; it eventually just disappeared. WF/Liberty voluntarily agreed to discontinue their series. The bottom line is that as circumstances change every program can change previously scheduled OOC games if they choose to do so.

The kickoff classic games often get scheduled just a year or so before the games to enhance the chances that the game is against two competitive teams. Those team just buy out or rearrange current commitments. If WF keep winning lots of games, it will get a chance to play in one of those games.
do "better" teams hold slots open for these kickoff games or get invited to one then push back another previously scheduled OOC game?

Back