• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BC @ WFU – Sat 10/22 – 3:30 ACCN

do "better" teams hold slots open for these kickoff games or get invited to one then push back another previously scheduled OOC game?
I would assume that most do the latter, but if I'm the AD at georgia or alabama I would probably just hold the first week open. Those classics are a big part of our weaker nonconference slates anyway. How many teams have their marquee nonconference game involved with one of those?

I also think that WF wasn't really agressive about buying out of those lesser series during Covid as our AD budget isn't one that allows us to just set money on fire like Nebraska. Especially when leveraging a basketball buyout and hiring process at the same time. Gate revenue is probably a bigger percentage of our budget than most ADs, and the uncertainty of Covid was probably pretty tricky for Currie to navigate.

Tennessee bought out the 2023 game scheduled at BYU in May 2022. Paid $2 million to do it. They are instead playing UVA in Nashville.

I still have the swag that orange bowl rep was giving out before the Syracuse game.

DF2009 doubled down on the bet he'd made with my suitemate that wake would make a BCS bowl in the next four years. Everyone laughed at him but gd was he right

If Wake got invited to participate in a Kickoff Classic, it wouldn't take much for Currie to buyout Elon, A&T, or WCU, our opening games for the next three seasons. The opening weekend spot for 2026 is open after canceling Liberty.

For what it's worth, UNC's future schedules are no more exciting than ours. In fact, I think playing Ole Miss is better than any series they have scheduled. NC State somehow has home and homes with Florida and Georgia.

UNC and NC State also play each other every year, which we got screwed out of. And UNC picked up more games with FSU and Clemson than they had before.

It would be funny to plant the narrative that State chose was too scared to continue playing Wake and chose a rivalry against Duke instead.

It would be funny to plant the narrative that State chose was too scared to continue playing Wake and chose a rivalry against Duke instead.
We've beaten them four out of the past five, with the only loss coming in the Covid season after they got to watch us play Clemson the week before. We have a better school, better athletes, better coaches and a better program. They scared and need to go to church.

Yeah, that noon ABC spot is one where multiple good ACC games have landed recently (Wake/UNC last year, Clemson/Wake this year, Syracuse/Clemson next week), but it also helps that some Big Ten schools can't/prefer not to host night games later in the year due to weather/lack of permanent lighting. The Big Ten used to require special permission before the season started to allow a home game in November to start after 3:30pm, don't think that is a hard rule anymore, but they definitely limit their night kick-offs as the season gets later. Winning definitely helps, but in the eyes of the TV execs, 12pm on ABC or ESPN is a "better" spot to be in than 7:30pm on ACCN or ESPNU.
Wait…what Big Ten schools don’t have permanent lighting? And how is that even possible?

Wait…what Big Ten schools don’t have permanent lighting? And how is that even possible?
I think Northwestern is the only school without permanent lighting now, but it wasn't too long ago that the majority of B1G schools did not and they would rent lights when needed. I believe ESPN actually paid for Ohio State's lights

I think Northwestern is the only school without permanent lighting now, but it wasn't too long ago that the majority of B1G schools did not and they would rent lights when needed. I believe ESPN actually paid for Ohio State's lights
They definitely paid for Michigan's permanent lighting around 2019, so not surprised if they also paid for Ohio State's as well.

NW is getting ready to build what looks like a really nice stadium that seats around 35,000 I think.

ryan-field1540__ScaleMaxWidthWzc3MF0.jpg

Boston College is awful on offense. They're 110th in FBS per SP+ and other than the Louisville game have scored 48 points in 4 games against FBS competition. Even if they're able to keep Wake to somewhere around 30 points defensively, I think they have a very difficult time getting enough points to win. It would require winning the TO battle by a couple (read: Wake losing fumbles) and having a lot of things going their way.

Boston College is awful on offense. They're 110th in FBS per SP+ and other than the Louisville game have scored 48 points in 4 games against FBS competition. Even if they're able to keep Wake to somewhere around 30 points defensively, I think they have a very difficult time getting enough points to win. It would require winning the TO battle by a couple (read: Wake losing fumbles) and having a lot of things going their way.
Got to contain that Flowers guy, hopefully the bye week helped us get a little healthier in the secondary. If we come out focused, I think we'll be fine. So far though 6 games I think we've only come out flat once, vs. Liberty. Knowing we had no room for error to have any shot at the division will hopefully keep us from coming out flat the last 6 games.

Back