• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Best Beer States

I love craft beer and I hope I am wrong. But, I don't think the economics will work to only sell to local restaurants and specialty stores. For one, that would require a conversion of bud / miller drinkers to craft beers at a steady rate, and most studies show that is a high hurdle to overcome. For Raleigh-Durham area alone there is like 12-15 breweries now. There just aren't enough drinkers to support the volume to only be in a small footprint long-term. If you own the brewery, you'd be barely scraping by...certainly not getting ahead of the game. Second, some (many?) of these smaller & new breweries aren't business people, which makes long-term success that much more unlikely.

Also, at a certain point, the variation between brands and special seasonal brews will not be distinguishing enough to continue to try every new beer that comes out. For instance, I've probably tried 10-12 different pumpkin beers over the last two falls. Probably 4 were great, 4 were average, and 4 were awful. Next year, I am sticking with 2 or 3 of the great ones and not bothering with the others.

If craft brew does eventually steal a measurable number of bud & miller drinkers, you will see the big boys step even more in buying the regional brands (ie, like they have done with goose island and leinenkugel) to crush the locals.

Lastly, pay attention to the pricing. Prices are going up quite a bit and are not sustainable. 6 packs prices on a per bottle basis are approaching pint at the bar prices. 22 oz bottles used to average $6.99 to $9.99. Now most run $10.99 and up. They are at the breaking point where folks are going to pull back on what they buy.

To clarify, collapse was probably too strong of a word. I can see Raleigh area with 5-7 micros in a few years...12-15 as they have now? Or more? I will be very surprised.

Uhhh, what? 6 pack prices are nowhere near $5-6 a beer, unless you're buying something really limited edition (and even then, the really limited stuff is usually in 4 packs to prevent that kind of really high 6 pack price). Prices for microbrew six packs have barely risen since I became a craft beer drinker 6 or 8 years ago. Then, as now, you can get a really good beer in a six pack for between 9 and 12 bucks

The craft beer market won't collapse, but some breweries will. There will be winners and losers.

and new winners, and new losers. the question is which big american brewery collapses.

fyi i pay 10-13 bucks for a 6 pack of good beer. i cant find a $2 pint really anywhere where i live (i don't think unless there's some good happy hour or something).

maybe wrangor should brew beer to employ some of those husbandless teenage mothers rather than babysitting for them. he could have a playroom for the kids and everything.

For pricing I was comparing $2 to $3 in a good six pack (ie, lagunitas or bells) vs $3 to $4 for a pint at a bar. Good sixes used to run $8 or $9. $10 was high end. Today, $10 for a 6 is cheap.

But the price appreciation is worse for the specialty 22s. $15 for a 22 is a luxury, not a weekly event.

i rarely buy bombers. i do buy a couple of good sixers a week and end up spending way less than i would at a bar.

and new winners, and new losers. the question is which big american brewery collapses.

fyi i pay 10-13 bucks for a 6 pack of good beer. i cant find a $2 pint really anywhere where i live (i don't think unless there's some good happy hour or something).

neither

For pricing I was comparing $2 to $3 in a good six pack (ie, lagunitas or bells) vs $3 to $4 for a pint at a bar. Good sixes used to run $8 or $9. $10 was high end. Today, $10 for a 6 is cheap.

But the price appreciation is worse for the specialty 22s. $15 for a 22 is a luxury, not a weekly event.

I would say $10 for a six is pretty average, not cheap. where are you getting a pint for $3-4? That's not a normal price, that's a pint night price

Yeah in DC which is way fucking expensive non happy hour beers are like $6-8 for a pint and 6 packs are like $8-11. $10 is def not the cheap end it's mostly the high end.

that's my favorite thing about aville. really cheap, high quality beer and food.

also, i'm pretty sure folks were saying what dillon said about american wine 20 or 30 years ago or w/e.

per capita, Vermont is probably #1.

In 2011 and 2012, the Brewers Association ranked Vermont as the state with the greatest number of breweries per capita. Using the 2010 US Census population estimate of 62,741 and 26 breweries, there are one brewery for every 24,067 people.

Alchemist (heady topper) and Hill Farmstead in a state with a population of just over 600,000.

Delaware is easily no 1 per capita. Dogfish Head > Vermont.

The best ones aren't widely available. Gotta go to a specialty beer store for them

Best one you can find at a grocery store in the southeast is Rogue.

Best you can find at a specialty beer store in the Southeast is probably Deschutes

The best they send you is Deschutes?
Don't get me wrong, I love Deschutes... but I'm surprised you can't pull better stuff at a specialty store.

Also, I know the Lowes Foods in Cary sells Widmer Brothers Hefe... I'm a big fan for just a fridge filler. I like it more than some of the Rogue stuff.

My answer (kind of biased at this point):
1. Oregon
2. California
3. Colorado
4. NC

Also, I called 4 different places that are supposed to have it looking for the Stones 02.14.14 tonight... no dice. The Enjoy By 12.13.13 was the best beer I've ever had.

per capita, Vermont is probably #1.

In 2011 and 2012, the Brewers Association ranked Vermont as the state with the greatest number of breweries per capita. Using the 2010 US Census population estimate of 62,741 and 26 breweries, there are one brewery for every 24,067 people.

Alchemist (heady topper) and Hill Farmstead in a state with a population of just over 600,000.

Was thinking the same thing..
Magic hat
Harpoon
Switchback
Alchemist
Hill farmstead
Long trail

Sure I'm missing a few

Enjoyed my 6 years in northern new England

Seen that stone at two stores this week. #eastcoast

Is there anyone that's had heady topper and prefers 120 minute? I know I don't.

most on this thread and in general have never had heady topper. It's super hard to get.

Back