• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Biden/Schumer/Pelosi Accountability Thread

conservatives love to rail against CNN and MSNBC as these thought leaders for the left but also make fun of how bad their ratings are vs Fox

It's all about owning the libs even if the arguments don't make sense when you put them together.

Alternative factual interpretation: my party has done everything possible to minimize the effects of a communicable disease that's killed 726,000 people so far. We, and bare with me here, are a prolife party that values life over profit. Your party has fought tooth and nail to send fast food workers to work despite known risks, because it's all about the benjamins.

16 months ago conservatives were telling anyone who could hear that they needed to go out and act like normal to save the economy and contract COVID to get us to herd immunity.

Now conservatives are either against the vaccine mandates that would get us to herd immunity or actively anti-vaccine. We've known for the whole length of this pandemic that a vaccine was key to getting back to normal. One party is for it and one party is not.

Last edited:
The shutdowns (past and present) are the single biggest factor, but I have seen some interesting stuff about container capacity. We lose a large percentage of capacity of footage each year to wear and tear and destruction, so even if we don't grow our economy at all and don't build a single new container, we shed 8% of our storage capacity each year. The same thing is true for pallets, and anyone that had available lumber to sell was pushing it into retail and construction usage (given the huge markup there), and there wasn't a sufficient amount of leftover wood to make replacement pallets. We literally can't get stuff off the ground fast enough.

Who has been in charge during the shutdowns? I'm in liberal California and we aren't shutdown. You might have to wear a mask inside in many public places, but they are open without restrictions.

Maybe and bear with me hear Americans should stop buying dumb shit and plan for the future for once. The pandemic allowed for people to actually save money for the first time because of fear, the service industry being shutdown, travel demand down, stay at home orders, etc… demand for goods now skyrockets, oh shit look at all this cash I have. Fox News has already talk about our future shitty Christmas because you won’t be able to buy useless shit that nobody needs. It’s like Black Friday in overdrive with a bunch of dumb fucks waiting in line for 20 hours to save 200 dollars on a TV, where 20 hours of working gets them the TV and then some.

Now obviously there are some serious supply chain issues, shipping issues, and so forth but man just stop buy dumb shit people.

Hey everybody it's democrats fault that there are huge supply chain issues in Asia.

But I thought you guys said the government could and should fix all the problems in the world instantly and here’s a thing. Checkmate libs.

To save you the time jh. You can get back to watching Fox.

don't worry sailor. the col can accurately and succinctly provide an explanation about what the 1619 project is. i'll wait.

Isn't your time on the library computer almost up for the day?

The 1619 project was a joke of wokeness which attempted to advance social justice by ignoring basic facts and promoting historical inaccuracies called out by numerous historians.

And unsurprisingly, you and many of your MENSA brethren ate it up and asked for seconds because it aligned with your beliefs. The party of truth and facts, indeed.

I think he was referring to the plague of paternity leave.

Men should be working. Women should be providing the child care.

To be fair, he is only REALLY upset about "gayternity" leave.

Isn't your time on the library computer almost up for the day?

The 1619 project was a joke of wokeness which attempted to advance social justice by ignoring basic facts and promoting historical inaccuracies called out by numerous historians.

And unsurprisingly, you and many of your MENSA brethren ate it up and asked for seconds because it aligned with your beliefs. The party of truth and facts, indeed.

Don't worry. I'm on the list for another 30 min!

Great start. Now go ahead with anything specific. What facts are ignored? Which historical inaccuracies is the program built on? Source(s)?

I'll wait again.

Imagine thinking the 4 years of the Confederacy was more important to our history than the 246 years of slavery.

Imagine thinking the 4 years of the Confederacy was more important to our history than the 246 years of slavery.

PH you might have an opinion on this - if you have read both, how does the 1619 Project differ from Zinn’s Peoples History of the United States in their recollection of America’s founding?

PH you might have an opinion on this - if you have read both, how does the 1619 Project differ from Zinn’s Peoples History of the United States in their recollection of America’s founding?

they are pretty similar though Zinn is a little more focused on the underclass in general, including the experiences of non-african slaves and indentured members of early colonies.

Don't worry. I'm on the list for another 30 min!

Great start. Now go ahead with anything specific. What facts are ignored? Which historical inaccuracies is the program built on? Source(s)?

I'll wait again.

See below for interviews directly from the "sources" you requested:

Historian James McPherson

Q. What was your initial reaction to the 1619 Project?

A. Well, I didn’t know anything about it until I got my Sunday paper, with the magazine section entirely devoted to the 1619 Project. Because this is a subject I’ve long been interested in I sat down and started to read some of the essays. I’d say that, almost from the outset, I was disturbed by what seemed like a very unbalanced, one-sided account, which lacked context and perspective on the complexity of slavery, which was clearly, obviously, not an exclusively American institution, but existed throughout history. And slavery in the United States was only a small part of a larger world process that unfolded over many centuries. And in the United States, too, there was not only slavery but also an antislavery movement. So I thought the account, which emphasized American racism—which is obviously a major part of the history, no question about it—but it focused so narrowly on that part of the story that it left most of the history out.

So I read a few of the essays and skimmed the rest, but didn’t pursue much more about it because it seemed to me that I wasn’t learning very much new. And I was a little bit unhappy with the idea that people who did not have a good knowledge of the subject would be influenced by this and would then have a biased or narrow view.

Q. You mentioned that you were totally surprised when you found Project 1619 in your Sunday paper. You are one of the leading historians of the Civil War and slavery. And the Times did not approach you?

A. No, they didn’t, no.

Q. We’ve spoken to a lot of historians, leading scholars in the fields of slavery, the Civil War, the American Revolution, and we’re finding that none of them were approached. Although the Times doesn’t list its sources, what do you think, in terms of scholarship, this 1619 Project is basing itself on?

A. I don’t really know. One of the people they approached is Kevin Kruse, who wrote about Atlanta. He’s a colleague, a professor here at Princeton. He doesn’t quite fit the mold of the other writers. But I don’t know who advised them, and what motivated them to choose the people they did choose.

Q. Nikole Hannah-Jones, the lead writer and leader of the 1619 Project, includes a statement in her essay—and I would say that this is the thesis of the project—that “anti-black racism runs in the very DNA of this country.”

A. Yes, I saw that too. It does not make very much sense to me. I suppose she’s using DNA metaphorically. She argues that racism is the central theme of American history. It is certainly part of the history. But again, I think it lacks context, lacks perspective on the entire course of slavery and how slavery began and how slavery in the United States was hardly unique. And racial convictions, or “anti-other” convictions, have been central to many societies.

https://www.wsws.org/en/articles/2019/11/14/mcph-n14.html

And here is another one from the noted conservative and white supremacist historian, Gordon Wood

Q. Let me begin by asking you your initial reaction to the 1619 Project. When did you learn about it?

A. Well, I was surprised when I opened my Sunday New York Times in August and found the magazine containing the project. I had no warning about this. I read the first essay by Nikole Hannah-Jones, which alleges that the Revolution occurred primarily because of the Americans’ desire to save their slaves. She claims the British were on the warpath against the slave trade and slavery and that rebellion was the only hope for American slavery. This made the American Revolution out to be like the Civil War, where the South seceded to save and protect slavery, and that the Americans 70 years earlier revolted to protect their institution of slavery. I just couldn’t believe this.

I was surprised, as many other people were, by the scope of this thing, especially since it’s going to become the basis for high school education and has the authority of the New York Times behind it, and yet it is so wrong in so many ways.

Q. I want to return to the question of slavery and the American Revolution, but first I wanted to follow up, because you said you were not approached. Yet you are certainly one of the foremost authorities on the American Revolution, which the 1619 Project trains much of its fire on.

A. Yes, no one ever approached me. None of the leading scholars of the whole period from the Revolution to the Civil War, as far I know, have been consulted. I read the Jim McPherson interview and he was just as surprised as I was.

The idea that the Revolution occurred as a means of protecting slavery—I just don’t think there is much evidence for it, and in fact the contrary is more true to what happened. The Revolution unleashed antislavery sentiments that led to the first abolition movements in the history of the world.

Q. In fact, those who claim that the American Revolution was a counterrevolution to protect slavery focus on the timing of the Somerset ruling of 1772, which held that slavery wasn’t supported by English common law, and Dunmore’s promise to free slaves who escape their masters.

A. To go from these few facts to create such an enormous argument is a problem. The Somerset decision was limited to England, where there were very few slaves, and it didn’t apply to the Caribbean. The British don’t get around to freeing the slaves in the West Indies until 1833, and if the Revolution hadn’t occurred, might never have done so then, because all of the southern colonies would have been opposed. So supposing the Americans hadn’t broken away, there would have been a larger number of slaveholders in the greater British world who might have been able to prolong slavery longer than 1833. The West Indies planters were too weak in the end to resist abolition. They did try to, but if they had had all those planters in the South still being part of the British Empire with them, that would have made it more difficult for the British Parliament to move toward abolition.

https://www.wsws.org/en/articles/2019/11/28/wood-n28.html

Anus won't be able to read/understand these articles because he has a small brain and is a small man, but they put the issues these few historians have with the 1619 in proper context (and their primary issue is what Gordon Wood references above):

One thing is clear, any inaccuracy/inaccuracies in the 1619 Project (which is meant to supplement not replace teaching in regular history books) pale in comparison to the anti-CRT, book burning, founding father revering at all costs fascist white washed history Anus and conservatives want to teach.

https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2020/03/06/1619-project-new-york-times-mistake-122248

"But it has also become a lightning rod for critics, and that one sentence about the role of slavery in the founding of the United States has ended up at the center of a debate over the whole project. A letter signed by five academic historians claimed that the 1619 Project got some significant elements of the history wrong, including the claim that the Revolutionary War was fought to preserve slavery. They have demanded that the New York Times issue corrections on these points, which the paper has so far refused to do. For her part, Hannah-Jones has acknowledged that she overstated her argument about slavery and the Revolution in her essay, and that she plans to amend this argument for the book version of the project, under contract with Random House."

"The 1619 Project, in its claim that the Revolution was fought primarily to preserve slavery, doesn’t do justice to this history. Nor, however, does the five historians’ critical letter. In fact, the historians are just as misleading in simply asserting that Lincoln and Douglass agreed that the Constitution was a “glorious liberty document” without addressing how few other Americans agreed that the Constitution’s protections should be shared with African Americans. Gradual emancipation laws, as well as a range of state and local laws across the antebellum nation limiting black suffrage, property ownership, access to education and even residency in places like Ohio, Washington and California, together demonstrate that legally, the struggle for black equality almost always took a back seat to the oppressive imperatives of white supremacy. And racial violence against black people and against those few white people who supported ending slavery and supported black citizenship undergirded these inequalities—a pattern that continued well into the 20th century."

"The five historians’ letter says it “applauds all efforts to address the enduring centrality of slavery and racism to our history.” The best-known of those letter-writers, however, built their careers on an older style of American history—one that largely ignored the new currents that had begun to bubble up among their contemporaries. By the time Gordon Wood and Sean Wilentz were publishing their first, highly acclaimed books on pre-Civil War America, in the early 1970s and mid-1980s, respectively, academic historians had begun, finally, to acknowledge African American history and slavery as a critical theme in American history. But Wood and Wilentz paid little attention to such matters in their first works on early America."

"The five historians’ letter says it “applauds all efforts to address the enduring centrality of slavery and racism to our history.” The best-known of those letter-writers, however, built their careers on an older style of American history—one that largely ignored the new currents that had begun to bubble up among their contemporaries. By the time Gordon Wood and Sean Wilentz were publishing their first, highly acclaimed books on pre-Civil War America, in the early 1970s and mid-1980s, respectively, academic historians had begun, finally, to acknowledge African American history and slavery as a critical theme in American history. But Wood and Wilentz paid little attention to such matters in their first works on early America."

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2019/12/historians-clash-1619-project/604093/

"Several weeks ago, the Princeton historian Sean Wilentz, who had criticized the 1619 Project’s “cynicism” in a lecture in November, began quietly circulating a letter objecting to the project, and some of Hannah-Jones’s work in particular. The letter acquired four signatories—James McPherson, Gordon Wood, Victoria Bynum, and James Oakes, all leading scholars in their field."

"Nevertheless, some historians who declined to sign the letter wondered whether the letter was intended less to resolve factual disputes than to discredit laymen who had challenged an interpretation of American national identity that is cherished by liberals and conservatives alike."

"The letter’s signatories recognize the problem the Times aimed to remedy, Wilentz told me. “Each of us, all of us, think that the idea of the 1619 Project is fantastic. I mean, it's just urgently needed. The idea of bringing to light not only scholarship but all sorts of things that have to do with the centrality of slavery and of racism to American history is a wonderful idea,” he said. In a subsequent interview, he said, “Far from an attempt to discredit the 1619 Project, our letter is intended to help it.”"

Back