• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Biden

New Gallup Poll - Biden approval rating down to 37%… down 11% among Democrats from September to October 👋🏻👋🏻

Now tell us what the latest financial numbers mean to you?

Tbf, most people don't care about GDP numbers beyond how they directly relate to their ability to maintain employment. I'm not trying to go full on reff here and rant about how a Little Caesars Hot-N-Ready is $5.55 now or some dumb bullshit, but the average person is looking at stagnated wage growth and, if they're lucky enough to have one, their 401k being down relative to where it was in the middle of the summer.

Are these fair economic measures to which we should hold an executive accountable? Not in this case given what the Biden admin was dealing with. It is how a lot of people form their opinions, though.

To be clear, I think the admin has done a fantastic job so far bringing inflation back under control without nuking the economy.

I think there are many that feel Biden has done a steady and solid job in a very difficult situation, but that his age is an issue mainly because of the bench. Kamala Harris is a problem.

Seriously, who the hell even thinks about the VPOTUS? I couldn’t tell you basically anything she’s done good or bad.

Seriously, who the hell even thinks about the VPOTUS? I couldn’t tell you basically anything she’s done good or bad.

An episode of Sarah Longwell’s Focus Group podcast was devoted to squishy Dems in Philly talking about re-electing Biden. There was a hilarious exchange about Harris that went something like this:

Woman: “I never hear anything about her. What does she even do?”
Other woman: “She was here yesterday.”
Woman: “Really? Well I didn’t hear anything about it.”

Nobody cares about the VP and that’s why what the VP doesn’t make mainstream news. But she’s a Black and Asian woman so people think she’s somehow different than the usual.

well as far as I know she's never gone to the DMZ and stared down North Korea or stormed out of an NFL game because the players disrespected our flag, so that's two red flags right there

An episode of Sarah Longwell’s Focus Group podcast was devoted to squishy Dems in Philly talking about re-electing Biden. There was a hilarious exchange about Harris that went something like this:

Woman: “I never hear anything about her. What does she even do?”
Other woman: “She was here yesterday.”
Woman: “Really? Well I didn’t hear anything about it.”

Nobody cares about the VP and that’s why what the VP doesn’t make mainstream news. But she’s a Black and Asian woman so people think she’s somehow different than the usual.
This premise is why VEEP was such a funny show.

Right - I was basically getting to the point that the only people who are focused on Harris as a "problem", unless they can provide anything to back up why she's not doing well, are likely doing so for pretty bad reasons.

I think its reasonable as a voter to look at the vice president more when you have a President over 80. I have no idea whether Harris is good bad or indifferent. As a fairly plugged-in voter, I didn't think she ran a particularly good presidential campaign. I don't have any specific things I can point to that she has done that make me think she would be a good president. I think both Biden and Harris could have done a better job of promoting her since taking office.

Biden walked out of 8 years as Obama's VP with people willing to vote for him. Skin color and gender certainly didn't hurt, but I'm not sure that is the only reason Harris is not more popular.

I think its reasonable as a voter to look at the vice president more when you have a President over 80. I have no idea whether Harris is good bad or indifferent. As a fairly plugged-in voter, I didn't think she ran a particularly good presidential campaign. I don't have any specific things I can point to that she has done that make me think she would be a good president. I think both Biden and Harris could have done a better job of promoting her since taking office.

Biden walked out of 8 years as Obama's VP with people willing to vote for him. Skin color and gender certainly didn't hurt, but I'm not sure that is the only reason Harris is not more popular.

What did Biden do in 8 years as VP that Harris hasn’t done in almost 3?

What did Biden do in 8 years as VP that Harris hasn’t done in almost 3?
I have no idea. And some of what Biden did may just be that he was around for fucking ever before he became VP, whereas Harris is relatively young.

And Strickland may be spot on. It might just be that Obama was cool, seemed to like Biden, and the admin did a good job of meme-ing him.

Bottom line is anyone who doesn't believe the 2024 Prez election is not going to be competitive race, even if douche bag Trump runs in prison garb, is kidding themselves.
The primary reason may be is that it will be the lowest turnout in a Prez election ever, especially in the 18-29 voter category. It's estimated the 50% of young people between 18-29 voted in the 2020 election. That was an 11% increase over the 2016 election. Apathy may cause this number to fall below 30% in 2024 which is not good for Biden. His victory in 2020 was powered by young voters especially youth of color.

Bottom line is anyone who doesn't believe the 2024 Prez election is not going to be competitive race, even if douche bag Trump runs in prison garb, is kidding themselves.
The primary reason may be is that it will be the lowest turnout in a Prez election ever, especially in the 18-29 voter category. It's estimated the 50% of young people between 18-29 voted in the 2020 election. That was an 11% increase over the 2016 election. Apathy may cause this number to fall below 30% in 2024 which is not good for Biden. His victory in 2020 was powered by young voters especially youth of color.

No way it’s the lowest. The negative polarization is off the charts.

Back