• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BillBrasky Memorial Political Chat Thread

Steady 20 year decline you say? Your graph stops at the low point in 2014. It's currently at 66% from an all time high of 69%

View attachment 6921
So again I’d like to focus on the 35 and under demo, the ability for young people to get on the “housing ladder”:

Because that’s what started the conversation about why young people might be disenchanted with the economy. The rates are lower than 40 years ago or 20 years ago, which is the generational data I was talking about.

So again I’d like to focus on the 35 and under demo, the ability for young people to get on the “housing ladder”:

Because that’s what started the conversation about why young people might be disenchanted with the economy. The rates are lower than 40 years ago or 20 years ago, which is the generational data I was talking about.
I mean sure. But they are higher than 10 years ago or 30 years ago, right? The overall trend is basically flat. Conceding the rates aren't at all time highs, you can't look at that data and say it's much harder for young people today, can you?

I mean sure. But they are higher than 10 years ago or 30 years ago, right? The overall trend is basically flat. Conceding the rates aren't at all time highs, you can't look at that data and say it's much harder for young people today, can you?
Glad we’re getting into details. People are being housed at flat rates, sure.

Here are some other trends associated with that data (from NAR in 2022):

At just 26%, the share of first-time buyers was the lowest since NAR began tracking the data. The typical first-time buyer was 36 years old – an all-time high.

The median distance between the home that recent buyers purchased and the home from which they moved was 50 miles – a record high and more than a three-fold jump from a median of 15 miles from 2018 through 2021. The shares of homes purchased in small towns (29%) and rural areas (19%) were all-time highs.

The median expected home tenure for first-time buyers was 18 years, the highest ever recorded and up from 10 years in 2021.

——

And if you just take a break from the data, and look at the millennial cohort specifically, they graduated into a recession in prime earning years, and have hit another one since. During just the stretch of time when they could reasonably have expected to buy a home, interest rates have tripled while the cost of owning has increased. If they’re buying, they’re buying worse, smaller housing for more money than the cohort before them.

In the same time frame, boomers have doubled their wealth selling those more expensive houses and riding out interest rates into retirement. Last year they were a larger purchasing cohort than millennials, largely buying vacation or second homes financed with selling their older homes in desirable locations for many times what they paid.

I’d argue that there are still more bubbles to do with debt facing millennials too, whether that will come in the form of housing or auto debt, pick your poison.

what is the main reason why the Secretary of State(!) is the one who personally approved all the bombings in Cambodia?

Glad we’re getting into details. People are being housed at flat rates, sure.

Here are some other trends associated with that data (from NAR in 2022):

At just 26%, the share of first-time buyers was the lowest since NAR began tracking the data. The typical first-time buyer was 36 years old – an all-time high.

The median distance between the home that recent buyers purchased and the home from which they moved was 50 miles – a record high and more than a three-fold jump from a median of 15 miles from 2018 through 2021. The shares of homes purchased in small towns (29%) and rural areas (19%) were all-time highs.

The median expected home tenure for first-time buyers was 18 years, the highest ever recorded and up from 10 years in 2021.

——

And if you just take a break from the data, and look at the millennial cohort specifically, they graduated into a recession in prime earning years, and have hit another one since. During just the stretch of time when they could reasonably have expected to buy a home, interest rates have tripled while the cost of owning has increased. If they’re buying, they’re buying worse, smaller housing for more money than the cohort before them.

In the same time frame, boomers have doubled their wealth selling those more expensive houses and riding out interest rates into retirement. Last year they were a larger purchasing cohort than millennials, largely buying vacation or second homes financed with selling their older homes in desirable locations for many times what they paid.

I’d argue that there are still more bubbles to do with debt facing millennials too, whether that will come in the form of housing or auto debt, pick your poison.
I'm looking at that NAR report. It seems to say the opposite of a lot of those things?

First-time buyers made up 34 percent of all home buyers, an increase from 31 percent last year.

Here is the link:

It wasn't really my intention to drill down into specifically home ownership (part of my original point was we should be looking at all costs, not just one subset), but some of this stuff is pretty interesting. It does look like millenials buy first homes later, but not by much. And despite home prices and interest rates going up, they still bought a lot of homes. I'm curious about your point about smaller and/or crappier houses. Haven't seen data on size of first home purchase over time. Would be interesting to see.

homeownership happened later in life for Millennials than for Gen Xers or Baby Boomers. When Millennials became an owner-majority generation in 2022, the average Millennial was 34. Gen Xers reached the milestone in 2003, at an average age of 32. Boomers crossed this threshold in 1987, at the average age of 33.
Between 2017 and 2022, the number of Millennial homeowners increased by a whopping 64% to 18.2 million. The staggering addition of 7.1 million households exceeded the number added by all the other generations combined.

Unfortunately I’m not going to be able to devote the amount of time to get into this to the degree I’d like given my next couple days, but I’d like to see those data as a % of the size of the cohort compared to prior cohorts.

David Pollack is an absolute moron. I cannot fathom they really believe people are transitioning from male to female simply to play sports. Even for the GOP this appears to be a very stupid boogeyman.

Last edited:
I
It wasn't really my intention to drill down into specifically home ownership (part of my original point was we should be looking at all costs, not just one subset), but some of this stuff is pretty interesting. It does look like millenials buy first homes later, but not by much. And despite home prices and interest rates going up, they still bought a lot of homes. I'm curious about your point about smaller and/or crappier houses. Haven't seen data on size of first home purchase over time. Would be interesting to see.

I am not super dialed into this debate - but it is important to remember that across the board durable goods have dramatically increased in overall feature set or quality level. A crappy house today is a starter house from the ‘50s or ‘60s that hasn’t been renovated to be much nicer than it originally was. The average size and amenities of houses has increased dramatically overtime.

That's even less of an endorsement than this:

"Coach [Redacted] was my first coach in the NBA. We learned a lot with each other. That first year, we made it to the playoffs after only winning 17 games the year before. He did a good job here and I enjoyed playing for him.
- Carmelo Anthony, Denver Nuggets

This Newsom-Desantis debate is as big of a waste time as you can imagine. Hannity's pushing the high tax-leaving population agenda, and when they are not talking over each other they are rattling off some vague talking points statistics. I don't get the appeal of Newsom, although he's facing a bit of a stacked deck. I'm not sticking around on this for long.

This Newsom-Desantis debate is as big of a waste time as you can imagine. Hannity's pushing the high tax-leaving population agenda, and when they are not talking over each other they are rattling off some vague talking points statistics. I don't get the appeal of Newsom, although he's facing a bit of a stacked deck. I'm not sticking around on this for long.
god bless you for even watching

Completely forgot about it. Watching the Spurs and Wake women vs. A&M.

Back