• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Billy Edwards is transferring?!?!?!

Billy Edwards brother, Kyle, is a graduate assistant at Maryland. That's helped Edwards' decision to transfer there. As Billy knew Maryland had a need at QB, and that he would see the field faster at Maryland, than at WF (which turned out to be true).

My guess is that the staff had seen enough the past 3 years of all relevant parties to make the decision.

Given what we have seen so far, it may have been the wrong decision. I am sure that candid conversations were had with all quarterbacks involved as to where they fell on the depth chart and what the outlook was, while also giving them chances to pursue other options instead of waiting until the fall.

Not sure if that means Griffis was "anointed the heir apparent", because, to me, that sounds like it's some kind of nepotism and we were picking him for anything other than the staff felt like he gave them the best chance for us to win games. Which I am pretty sure is not true.

Probably just semantics on the words.

Tobacco Road, you don’t think Edwards left because he thought he had a better chance at starting at Maryland than Wake?

You don’t think Clawson already chose Mitch as Hartman’s replacement a year ago?

You act like I’m making a singular point when Pilch and doofus have said the same thing before and after that post.

Humbly disagree. When Edwards transferred (spring 2022), Hartman was the starting QB. At that time the WF QB room included Hartman, both Griffis brothers, Kern, Edwards and Marucci. Maryland, had Tua's brother and really nothing else. There was far less competition at Maryland; Edwards missed Maryland's Spring practice and was immediately the #2 in 2022 after transferring.

Really doubt that Clawson and Ruggiero told Edwards that anyone was "anointed" the successor to Hartman. Just based on numbers there was far less competition at Maryland than WF. That is obvious.

No chance that Clawson told all of the QBs in the Spring of 2022 (when Edwards transferred) that regardless of how well he played that he was never going to beat out either Griffis or Kern. Realize that doesn't help your narrative, but Clawson is all about competing for spots.

100% agree with the above from Pilch, and then just add that coming out of that Spring, Edwards was #4 on the QB depth chart.

No guarantee he couldn’t move up, but as of a point in time, he was behind at least 2 others that would be there once Hartman left. So he decided to move to somewhere he is the top underclassman. And I can’t blame him.

I mean I kind of agree with PH on this one. Mitch was deemed the air apparent last year before the season started. I think that's pretty much been public knowledge.
from what I recall there was no heir apparent named at least publicly until Sam had the blood clot and Clawson chose Mitch to start against VMI. That was a few months after Edwards transferred. It's possible that Clawson told the QB room what the pecking order was, but I get the sense he would still want the open competition going into fall practice and only announced Mitch because he was forced to by Sam's medical issue.

I couldn't get the ninja edit in time. Voice dictation going with "air" instead of heir makes me sound like more of an idiot than I already am.

I think yeah, good chance Clawson gave some kind of unofficial pecking order to the QB room, and by nature of 20 year olds wanting a better opportunity for themselves, Edwards felt that better opportunity was at Maryland.

I mean I kind of agree with PH on this one. Mitch was deemed the heir apparent last year before the season started. I think that's pretty much been public knowledge.
Eh Clawson making it clear there was a #2 decided last year and they had confidence in him to fill in for Sam != He's got the job locked up for eternity, and there's no way he was saying that at the time Edwards transferred long long before.

Eh Clawson making it clear there was a #2 decided last year and they had confidence in him to fill in for Sam != He's got the job locked up for eternity, and there's no way he was saying that at the time Edwards transferred long long before.
Yet you believe Griffis has the job locked up for eternity.

You're all over the place on this.

Humbly disagree. When Edwards transferred (spring 2022), Hartman was the starting QB. At that time the WF QB room included Hartman, both Griffis brothers, Kern, Edwards and Marucci. Maryland, had Tua's brother and really nothing else. There was far less competition at Maryland; Edwards missed Maryland's Spring practice and was immediately the #2 in 2022 after transferring.

Really doubt that Clawson and Ruggiero told Edwards that anyone was "anointed" the successor to Hartman. Just based on numbers there was far less competition at Maryland than WF. That is obvious.

No chance that Clawson told all of the QBs in the Spring of 2022 (when Edwards transferred) that regardless of how well he played that he was never going to beat out either Griffis or Kern. Realize that doesn't help your narrative, but Clawson is all about competing for spots.
Apparently, Edwards was told he was not the back-up after the spring, after outperforming the competition on daily practice stats and the spring game. Anyone would have left.

Yet you believe Griffis has the job locked up for eternity.

You're all over the place on this.
When the fuck did I say that? God you're miserable to engage with. I think he's got it locked up for this year probably, because in college football you can't just go add players to your roster midseason, not sure if that's news to you or not?

Apparently, Edwards was told he was not the back-up after the spring, after outperforming the competition on daily practice stats and the spring game. Anyone would have left.
Look ph you've got great company on your team on this one. 👍

When the fuck did I say that? God you're miserable to engage with. I think he's got it locked up for this year probably, because in college football you can't just go add players to your roster midseason, not sure if that's news to you or not?
So what on earth is your argument? Griffis has the job locked up for this year because Kern doesn't deserve a shot based on knowing even less about Kern than we did about Griffis a month ago?

Look ph you've got great company on your team on this one. 👍
We all knew Edwards wasn't the back-up after last Spring. I don't remember the word on daily practice stats and such.

So what on earth is your argument? Griffis has the job locked up for this year because Kern doesn't deserve a shot based on knowing even less about Kern than we did about Griffis a month ago?

We all knew Edwards wasn't the back-up after last Spring. I don't remember the word on daily practice stats and such.

My argument is that everyone thinking Kern is gonna magically be a better option is just classic wishful thinking/packpride fandom 101. I'll trust the coaches to make the correct call there when the time is right/if Mitch is totally broken but don't really expect Kern to peform any better 🤷‍♂️, and I fully believe Clawson also would have 100% had a proper QB battle if Edwards had stuck around and continued to show the promise he did in that meaningless end of a spring game.

It's insane to me the kinda narratives you love to spend your time constructing (with very little evidence) to denigrate the best football coach WFU has ever had, all while simultaneously masturbating furiously over duke's successes this season and saying they don't impact Wake Forest in any way. Head in the fucking sand.

from what I recall there was no heir apparent named at least publicly until Sam had the blood clot and Clawson chose Mitch to start against VMI. That was a few months after Edwards transferred. It's possible that Clawson told the QB room what the pecking order was, but I get the sense he would still want the open competition going into fall practice and only announced Mitch because he was forced to by Sam's medical issue.
This. There was a ton of debate and lack of clarity around who would start when Mitch was chosen for VMI. Not to mention if anyone has watched Kern and Mitch in practice it was obvious who was the better QB.

Fans screaming for the backup QB is like the quintessential fan vs. coach hindsight argument. Fans never want to acknowledge that a QB can be both the best option at the position while also not playing well. Half the fanbase is still calling our backup Kerns and couldn't pick 2016 Kearns from 2023 Kern out of a lineup. So much overthinking going on mixed with things that only make sense if Clawson is a complete moron when it comes to winning football games. Which he is not.

These conspiracy narratives are so ridiculous.

Back