• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Capitalism

It’s just really confusing to me how so many well-to-do Americans - lot of people on this board, can look down at the bottom 80% of wealth distribution in this country and ask “why can’t you do this? “Why can’t you get a good job and do what I did?” When what they did is exceptional. That’s what upper middle class and upper class Americans refuse to politically and culturally acknowledge, is that they are the exception, not the rule. Lower income/low wealth in America isn’t an exception, it isn’t abnormal - it’s the normal. That’s the average American experience, and that is how America and American capitalism should be judged - by the quality of life of the people at the bottom, not at the top.

And thus the pissed off MAGA rubes

I'm uncomfortable with the idea that 20% of people are exceptional and the rest are just normies.

Most of those 20% aren't exceptional at all. They're just born into the right circumstances and have ridden it to success. There are plenty of exception people fighting against the odds just to have a "normal" piece of the American wealth pie.

I'm uncomfortable with the idea that 20% of people are exceptional and the rest are just normies.

Most of those 20% aren't exceptional at all. They're just born into the right circumstances and have ridden it to success. There are plenty of exception people fighting against the odds just to have a "normal" piece of the American wealth pie.
Then maybe the poors should stop having kids at a higher rate than the non poors?

I've seen plenty of people who are total dumbshits who didn't have much growing up and now live a solidly upper middle class lifestyle and paid for their kids college.

Every time I go out to eat it's $200 nowadays and every place I eat has a help wanted sign up. With minimum wage over $15/hr, as long as you can resist the temptation of putting a tattoo on your face and have a decent handle on the english language, it shouldn't be too hard to make six figures waiting tables.

Every time I go out to eat it's $200 nowadays and every place I eat has a help wanted sign up. With minimum wage over $15/hr, as long as you can resist the temptation of putting a tattoo on your face and have a decent handle on the english language, it shouldn't be too hard to make six figures waiting tables.
Fuck, you can even have face tattoo's these days. Just don't do fentanyl and your gonna be ok.

The word exceptional has multiple definitions

4d009e4ef7057ed1a7938ae8aa2d460d.jpg

All of this seems unique to a very specific place.

They're offering $15/hour at the Cookout in Marion, NC.

Maybe the poors would make more money if they knew how to objectively look at charts.

Christ, you are dense. Do you really believe that your observation of the bottom quartile of Americans having lower living standards than Slovenia is somehow a fucking rebuttal to the point to the research article I posted, which is to remark that the bottom quartile living standards in America…are lower than Slovenia?

What exactly did you not understand about “America and the UK are poor countries with rich people in them.”?

Christ, you are dense. Do you really believe that your observation of the bottom quartile of Americans having lower living standards than Slovenia is somehow a fucking rebuttal to the point to the research article I posted, which is to remark that the bottom quartile living standards in America…are lower than Slovenia?

What exactly did you not understand about “America and the UK are poor countries with rich people in them.”?
Is Slovenia supposed to be a shithole? It's one half of one percent the size of the US and known for its skiing. America and UK are rich countries with a lotta people who could be rich if they stopped feeling sorry for themselves.

This is the same conversation just asking for 2&2s everyone has big tvs, phones, and other modern appliances so checkmate

Could you imagine the 2021 Lakers having a mediocre record and missing the playoffs despite having two of the top 10 players in the entire world and a 183 million dollar payroll, all because they neglected and completely mismanaged 90% of their roster? Would be crazy, right? To have the same record as the Kings or the Knicks?

At $15/hr someone would have to work 128 hours a week every single week in order to male $100,000

Back