• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chat Thread CCLXV: DDD takes a lover

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah I never threw up in college….either…sure, that’s the ticket. Very skilled at holding my liquor, “Iron Stomach White”
they called me, the most sober man tha ok I was a fucking mess for like 2.5 years and had some spectacular disasters with vomit and piss all over the place. It was bad news bears.

Idk I’m painting with a very broad brush here but appointees at embassies abroad are vanity positions. Their staff are hard working and able diplomats. And I’m not talking about most state department employees, I’m talking specifically about the few hundred people who filed insurance claims with Havana symptoms, most of whom worked for the CIA.

My disdain for the intelligence state is probably clouding my judgment here. We’ve wrecked whole nations. Vile, unforgivable 20th century colonial shit in the name of anti-communism or nation building. GHOULS.

Skepticism is fine and healthy, though frankly a strictly psychosomatic or psychogenic cause is not convincing for me in all cases because lots of the early victims didn't know about other victims or their symptoms.

If I understand you correctly, you basically don't care except for that you hate the intelligence community so you're fine with them suffering. There are plenty of diplomats and their families who've been affected too. What do you say to all the Canadians who've experienced symptoms? Gotta find out if they're mounties or not before sympathizing??

And not all diplomatic posts are vanity positions. Sure like ambassador to Britain or the Bahamas, but there are stations everywhere, including in not very desirable places. The foreign service test is also notoriously difficult, as I'm sure you know

How do I get.myself in these situations?

It's 4am, and I'm in Charleston, SC laying awake replaying the trauma of what just happened.

I'm down here with another attorney. We're arguing before the court tomorrow. We drove down together.

Full disclosure, I'd take a bullet for this dude. He's an awesome officemate and a great friend. Super good human being and a great (single) father. Our friendship is valuable to me, for sure.

We've both been working hard. Prepping for this case and the trip down together was great to strengthen our friendship. We had planned on dinner Thursday night, then wake up to polish and prepare the following morning. We're at a super nice hotel downtown.

On the way down, he mentions he's been on bumble talking to a Charleston girl. This guy is a real lost puppy, and he's a great dude. I give him some encouragement and tell him that's awesome. He should take her to dinner tonight and I'll explore the city. He's like, "naw man, I've got reservations for us at Union Church, and you need to come with us."

I'm like, "no, dude. I don't wanna third wheel your vibe." He insists. Then insists again. I'm like, well, ok? In my mind, I'm thinking this is a horrible idea, but he's really confident that it's going to be this friendly vibe because she's a fun lady.

Then he says we should eat at Fig instead of Union Church. He's driving, so I call to get a table at Fig. No dice, but I call Husk and they are going to put together a.table for us. I wanted to eat there anyway, so now I'm stoked. I call and cancel the reservations at Union Church.

We get to Charleston with an hour to spare, I take a shower, etc. It's like a five minute walk to Husk. He texts me to meet them at the hotel rooftop bar.

I get up there, get a drink and meet them at the bar. She's a.lovely older lady (I'm like 15 years younger than both these people), but when she sees me I can tell she's surprised I'm there. I'm immediately thinking, "what. the. fuck."

It's their first date. Like, straight up, my well-meaning, perfectly naieve, buddy has created a nuclear bomb of awkwardness and put the three of us directly under it. He's been talking me up as a wingman, without there being any need for me to be there.

I start back peddling immediately. Like, "hey, I'm just going to stick with you guys for one drink and then get on my way." She thinks that is a great idea, but my buddy is like, "no way, you have gotta stay and have dinner." He's working overtime to make this a cool group thing, but she's in a first-date skirt.

To make matters more awkward, he's like, "hey, let's just chill here and have another drink. Call Husk and cancel the reservation. We'll just keep it loose." So I do, and we do.

The poor woman keeps oscillating between, "I should go, I don't want to interrupt what the two of you have going on" and, "I need to ask polite questions, and then get the fuck out of here." She and I are of an accord, but we're trapped in this high-gravity awkwardness black hole of togetherness that Buddy is preaching.

Finally, after drink three, she's like, "alright, I'm leaving." Buddy does his typical wounded puppy deal and convinces her to stay. I suggest they get dinner. Buddy says, "yeah, find us a place to eat." Completely missing the 1,000th graceful out I've laid at his feet.

We walk down the street to find a place to eat and I'm ten feet behind texting whoever I can to emergency call me out of this nightmare. In my 40s and married for nearly two decades, my emergency exit strategy call-pool was rusty.

Finally, wife answers one of my texts after she had successfully put down our kids. I try to explain the situation, but wife thinks there's a legit emergency. She calls and is like, "are you hurt?" I excuse myself from the table and go out to have the obligatory quick phone call.

At that point, I'm just like, "gotta rip the band-aid off." Still on the phone, I go in and make some lame excuse about it being story time and the kids won't go to bed without a FaceTime. Handshake. Good bye. Great meeting you.

Buddy is confused. I just high tail it. Over the next hour, I get several texts from buddy asking if I still want to order, or if everything is ok.

I can't get over how bad this poor woman was ambushed. My well-meaning, goofball buddy just wasn't getting it. She was looking for smash-town, and he was stuck in friendship land. I don't think I've ever seen someone cockblock themselves so earnestly and repeatedly.

It seems that the doctors appointment I was going to get in shape before is now here.

Same. Worst hangover I ever had was probably in college too after a night with Townie and a few other boards folks. Then had an early flight next morning. That was rough. Definitely arrived home hungover even after the plane ride
Is there a worse experience than flying hungover? It’s got to be very high on the list.

Honestly the dumbest thing your buddy said/did was thinking you'd get a table at Fig day of. As someone just trying to book a table for a Sunday or Monday night 28 days out (when they open reservations for a day) and still getting left with only 10pm options that was never gonna happen.

They do walk ins for the bar though, same full menu there too.

Honestly the dumbest thing your buddy said/did was thinking you'd get a table at Fig day of. As someone just trying to book a table for a Sunday or Monday night 28 days out (when they open reservations for a day) and still getting left with only 10pm options that was never gonna happen.

They do walk ins for the bar though, same full menu there too.
You know, on second thought, this reads like an RJ post and I'm sorry.

How do I get.myself in these situations?

It's 4am, and I'm in Charleston, SC laying awake replaying the trauma of what just happened.

I'm down here with another attorney. We're arguing before the court tomorrow. We drove down together.

Full disclosure, I'd take a bullet for this dude. He's an awesome officemate and a great friend. Super good human being and a great (single) father. Our friendship is valuable to me, for sure.

We've both been working hard. Prepping for this case and the trip down together was great to strengthen our friendship. We had planned on dinner Thursday night, then wake up to polish and prepare the following morning. We're at a super nice hotel downtown.

On the way down, he mentions he's been on bumble talking to a Charleston girl. This guy is a real lost puppy, and he's a great dude. I give him some encouragement and tell him that's awesome. He should take her to dinner tonight and I'll explore the city. He's like, "naw man, I've got reservations for us at Union Church, and you need to come with us."

I'm like, "no, dude. I don't wanna third wheel your vibe." He insists. Then insists again. I'm like, well, ok? In my mind, I'm thinking this is a horrible idea, but he's really confident that it's going to be this friendly vibe because she's a fun lady.

Then he says we should eat at Fig instead of Union Church. He's driving, so I call to get a table at Fig. No dice, but I call Husk and they are going to put together a.table for us. I wanted to eat there anyway, so now I'm stoked. I call and cancel the reservations at Union Church.

We get to Charleston with an hour to spare, I take a shower, etc. It's like a five minute walk to Husk. He texts me to meet them at the hotel rooftop bar.

I get up there, get a drink and meet them at the bar. She's a.lovely older lady (I'm like 15 years younger than both these people), but when she sees me I can tell she's surprised I'm there. I'm immediately thinking, "what. the. fuck."

It's their first date. Like, straight up, my well-meaning, perfectly naieve, buddy has created a nuclear bomb of awkwardness and put the three of us directly under it. He's been talking me up as a wingman, without there being any need for me to be there.

I start back peddling immediately. Like, "hey, I'm just going to stick with you guys for one drink and then get on my way." She thinks that is a great idea, but my buddy is like, "no way, you have gotta stay and have dinner." He's working overtime to make this a cool group thing, but she's in a first-date skirt.

To make matters more awkward, he's like, "hey, let's just chill here and have another drink. Call Husk and cancel the reservation. We'll just keep it loose." So I do, and we do.

The poor woman keeps oscillating between, "I should go, I don't want to interrupt what the two of you have going on" and, "I need to ask polite questions, and then get the fuck out of here." She and I are of an accord, but we're trapped in this high-gravity awkwardness black hole of togetherness that Buddy is preaching.

Finally, after drink three, she's like, "alright, I'm leaving." Buddy does his typical wounded puppy deal and convinces her to stay. I suggest they get dinner. Buddy says, "yeah, find us a place to eat." Completely missing the 1,000th graceful out I've laid at his feet.

We walk down the street to find a place to eat and I'm ten feet behind texting whoever I can to emergency call me out of this nightmare. In my 40s and married for nearly two decades, my emergency exit strategy call-pool was rusty.

Finally, wife answers one of my texts after she had successfully put down our kids. I try to explain the situation, but wife thinks there's a legit emergency. She calls and is like, "are you hurt?" I excuse myself from the table and go out to have the obligatory quick phone call.

At that point, I'm just like, "gotta rip the band-aid off." Still on the phone, I go in and make some lame excuse about it being story time and the kids won't go to bed without a FaceTime. Handshake. Good bye. Great meeting you.

Buddy is confused. I just high tail it. Over the next hour, I get several texts from buddy asking if I still want to order, or if everything is ok.

I can't get over how bad this poor woman was ambushed. My well-meaning, goofball buddy just wasn't getting it. She was looking for smash-town, and he was stuck in friendship land. I don't think I've ever seen someone cockblock themselves so earnestly and repeatedly.

Has he been dating much/at all since he became a single dad?

Seems like he wasn’t actually ready to connect with this woman.

trauma is starting to lose its meaning
Yeah tbf I was waiting for the ball to drop and some real weird shit to happen after knight lead with that. Like a straight up devil's threesome proposition or something (maybe knight was the one missing all the invites 🤔)

It was more just a very socially awkward buddy who couldn't take the hint he should just do the date 1 on 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back