• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Conference Expansion: Stanford, California and SMU Join the ACC

I’m sure if ESPN, Clemson, FSU and the SEC all wanted this to happen, they could finagle their way out of that.

It has been widely reported that the GOR is bulletproof. No one is going anywhere.

No such thing as a "bulletproof" contract.

I haven't studied the math, and I get the general concept that Clemson/FSU would forego more $$$ than they'd gain by joining the SEC now, but that's a short-term problem in the grand scheme. Point being I think it's entirely plausible that the ACC could lose some teams sooner rather than later as the dominoes continue to fall.

I'm pretty sure there were lots of folks out there reassuring us at the time that Maryland would never leave the conference.

No there weren’t because Maryland to the Big Ten was a complete surprise with no build up at all.

I have no doubt Clemson and FSU would move to the SEC if the possibility existed and the financials worked out with the ACC grant of rights. But, even with lawsuits and everything being negotiable, the amount owed is so high, it's not possible for anyone to leave the ACC right now unless the conference itself just dissolved or was merged with another conference.

You mean the school that threatened to leave the B1G last year with Nebraska, of all schools?

Very interested to know if the rumors about the SEC contacting tOSU, Michigan, Clemson, & FSU are real.

Imagine this scenario: To get Texas into the conference, the SEC allows them to keep their TV network revenues. Bama and perhaps Georgia and Florida will then want the same deal. Just like the B1G lets tOSU get their way in everything, tOSU will also demand its own TV network and use a possible move to the SEC as leverage to get it. If something like that happens, ND might be open to moving to full membership in the ACC since there would be precedents all over the map for them keeping their own network deal. I don't think there's another ACC team that would have a market big enough to justify its own market but maybe having NC in the fold could partially make up for that. Just a daydream.

If no one is watching your games they’re not being marketed to. People in NYC are not watch Syracuse football.

Of course you're right, and they never have. But adding 'Cuse gives the ACC cable access to New York, regardless of who or how many watch the Orange. Cable payouts are usually based on statewide population with cable access, not actual ratings, I believe. I stand to be corrected on that, but I think that's the case.

Of course you're right, and they never have. But adding 'Cuse gives the ACC cable access to New York, regardless of who or how many watch the Orange. Cable payouts are usually based on statewide population with cable access, not actual ratings, I believe. I stand to be corrected on that, but I think that's the case.

You are correct on that. The old cable model was a payout based on the number of tv subscribers per state. So that’s why the BIG added Rutgers to get the local state team rate for New Jersey and the NYC market.

But with cord cutting and tv rapidly moving to streaming options, that model is dying too and now ratings, streams, eyeballs watching are what matter again.

That’s why the SEC is in prime position, although have multiple teams in smaller states, the entire state watches every game because SEC football is a religion and part of the cultural identity of people.

I just don't see Clemson giving up what is practically a guaranteed spot in the college football playoff while in the ACC to go play in the SEC and that gauntlet of a schedule. Maybe I'm wrong, but I feel like Clemson loves being in the ACC and being able to crush the limited competition.

I just don't see Clemson giving up what is practically a guaranteed spot in the college football playoff while in the ACC to go play in the SEC and that gauntlet of a schedule. Maybe I'm wrong, but I feel like Clemson loves being in the ACC and being able to crush the limited competition.

I think Clemson loves money more. Also, the arrogance of Clemson thinks that they will still be the best team in the county if they go to the SEC.

FSU is just about name recognition, but look at Maryland's move to the Big 10, they did it for money and despite their horrendous record, they don't seem to care.

Thank god we were good enough in basketball all those years ago that other schools who liked basketball joined with us to form a conference. Being a charter member of the ACC is probably the best thing to ever happen to WFU, despite the teeth gnashing of the moment.

I read an article years ago, I think by Disco Dan, that the reason the Deacs were invited to the ACC was actually b/c Peahead Walker was having success in football for the Deacs.

No such thing as a "bulletproof" contract.

I haven't studied the math, and I get the general concept that Clemson/FSU would forego more $$$ than they'd gain by joining the SEC now, but that's a short-term problem in the grand scheme. Point being I think it's entirely plausible that the ACC could lose some teams sooner rather than later as the dominoes continue to fall.

I'm pretty sure there were lots of folks out there reassuring us at the time that Maryland would never leave the conference.

Can't say that the SEC would really approve the applications of Clemson & FSU if & when they were to get formally submitted. Let's face it on the money front: what do both of those programs add to the revenue streams in comparison to what Texas & Oklahoma just did? Nothing really because the SEC is already in both SC & FL as far as their footprint and TV marketing is concerned. It has been said that the SEC payouts will jump to a possible $70 million per team with the new 16 team format plus the new ESPN Sat national 3:30 PM game [brining in $300 mill per season alone]. If the SEC wants to expand further, they should look at OSU & Michigan or out west at USC & UCLA if they can't bring Notre Dame into their fold. Those might raise the ante enough to add but Clemson & FSU won't bring in another $400 mill in revenue like OK & TX just did.

I read an article years ago, I think by Disco Dan, that the reason the Deacs were invited to the ACC was actually b/c Peahead Walker was having success in football for the Deacs.

The ACC schools broke away from the Southern Conference because the SC wouldn't let its school participate in bowl games. But the league quickly became known for basketball with UNC winning the NCAA in 1957 and then with Wake and Duke and UNC playing in the Final Four throughout the 1960's

I would like to see the other conferences vote to keep the CFP at four making it more difficult for the SEC to get multiple teams in.

I would also like to see them limit participation to the conference champ. One SEC team in every year.

I would like to see the other conferences vote to keep the CFP at four making it more difficult for the SEC to get multiple teams in.

I would also like to see them limit participation to the conference champ. One SEC team in every year.

Just as there would have to be a vote to not expand it (and expansion is coming regardless-- the other conferences are just caught flat-footed now and will fall in line once they've made their move), there would have to be a vote to limit it to conference champs. I think that vote has to be unanimous too, but am not sure about that.

A vote to limit it to CCG champs would be short-sided, just as it was when the NCAA hoops tourney did it. And conferences also know that football is cyclical, and even with the current proposed incarnation of the SEC, there will be years when it is down and some other conference like the Big 10 is up. Expansion will also guarantee conference representation in the CFP, rather than trying to force a #12 PAC champ into a 4 team playoff.

The other conferences need to vote to expand it to more conference champs with no at-large. Screw over the SEC and ND.

It's really amazing people are so afraid of the Covid infected, almighty SEC. If you think the rest of the country is going to allow these rubes to control college football, you are deluded. The smart conferences aren't saying shit right now. People always underestimate the power of Great Universities. When the smartest people on earth come down on the SEC, and it will happen, everything you think today is going to be laughable.

They can’t cheat COVID death but they can cheat in football and politics.

They can’t cheat COVID death but they can cheat in football and politics.
They have overplayed their hand. ESPN is another dupe. The real power is preparing to crank on the SEC. They didn't think this through. You need to think about this from the presidential level of Universties. This is bigger than you think. A war between schools run by Athletic departments and schools run by smart people.

I think it’s finally time for the Magnolia League

Back