• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Conference Expansion: Stanford, California and SMU Join the ACC

Again, there is something “special” about WF’s requirements. It is literally double the requirements of most other schools that have such Gen-Ed requirements. I know, I work at one of those other ones and have worked at several others. Also, everything in tiers 1, 2, and 3 there are Humanities. So, yes, that’s a lot of Humanities.

By sheer number, you also left out quite a few other requirements including First Year seminar (many are Humanities), foreign languages (many schools consider these Humanities), Writing courses (Humanities), and HES just off the top of my head.

Many other schools that Wake competes with have similar first year seminar, foreign language and writing requirements. Those are completely separate requirements from divisional ones.

Duke's divisional requirements are very similar to Wake's.

The curriculum recognizes five Areas of Knowledge:

Arts, Literatures, and Performance (2.0 Credits Required) Among the courses coded ALP are many (but not all) courses in the arts (music, drama, dance, art and art history), in the various literatures of the world (whether taught in English or in a foreign language), and in literary theory.

Civilizations (2.0 Credits Required) The CZ designation includes many (but not all) courses in art history, history, philosophy, and religion as well as various individual courses offered in other departments.

Natural Sciences (2.0 Credits Required) Among the courses designated NS are many (but not all) courses in the biological, physical, and environmental sciences and some courses in other disciplines such as psychology.

Quantitative Studies (2.0 Credits are required and, beginning with the class that matriculated in 2012, one of these must be a course that originates or is cross-listed in mathematics, statistics or computer science) Courses designated QS have as their main purpose instruction in a quantitative skill to achieve proficiency in mathematics, statistics, or computer science or the use of explicitly quantitative methodology.

Social Sciences (2.0 Credits Required) Among the courses designated SS are many (but not all) courses in cultural anthropology, economics, environmental sciences, linguistics, political science, psychology, public policy studies, sociology, and women's studies as well as various individual courses offered in other departments.

Many other schools that Wake competes with have similar first year seminar, foreign language and writing requirements. Those are completely separate requirements from divisional ones.

Duke's divisional requirements are very similar to Wake's.

The curriculum recognizes five Areas of Knowledge:

Arts, Literatures, and Performance (2.0 Credits Required) Among the courses coded ALP are many (but not all) courses in the arts (music, drama, dance, art and art history), in the various literatures of the world (whether taught in English or in a foreign language), and in literary theory.

Civilizations (2.0 Credits Required) The CZ designation includes many (but not all) courses in art history, history, philosophy, and religion as well as various individual courses offered in other departments.

Natural Sciences (2.0 Credits Required) Among the courses designated NS are many (but not all) courses in the biological, physical, and environmental sciences and some courses in other disciplines such as psychology.

Quantitative Studies (2.0 Credits are required and, beginning with the class that matriculated in 2012, one of these must be a course that originates or is cross-listed in mathematics, statistics or computer science) Courses designated QS have as their main purpose instruction in a quantitative skill to achieve proficiency in mathematics, statistics, or computer science or the use of explicitly quantitative methodology.

Social Sciences (2.0 Credits Required) Among the courses designated SS are many (but not all) courses in cultural anthropology, economics, environmental sciences, linguistics, political science, psychology, public policy studies, sociology, and women's studies as well as various individual courses offered in other departments.
That’s about half of the number of courses required compared to WF if I’m reading their hour system correctly. I’m not saying that Wake’s course offerings and requirements are inherently unique. The unique aspect is the sheer amount required.

It’s all donaldross’s fault. Greatest troll on ogboards, and second place is way behind

You know, if you’re going to be a great troll, you have to start as an undergrad, like donaldross did. That way you can troll for 50, 60, 70 years - depending on how unhealthy your eating habits are.

So us, BC, Lville and Cuse are neither part of the "Magnificent 7 or being "vetted" by the B10. Football is the obvious driver, but given the success of Wake football and other programs, you have to think that the demise of our bb program is a reason we apparently aren't even in the conversation anywhere for a landing spot should the ACC fold. And if there is a mass exodus, the few ACC schools left should push every legal avenue to make sure the defectors pay up on their grant of rights forfeitures and the $$ is split between those schools who are left.

So us, BC, Lville and Cuse are neither part of the "Magnificent 7 or being "vetted" by the B10. Football is the obvious driver, but given the success of Wake football and other programs, you have to think that the demise of our bb program is a reason we apparently aren't even in the conversation anywhere for a landing spot should the ACC fold. And if there is a mass exodus, the few ACC schools left should push every legal avenue to make sure the defectors pay up on their grant of rights forfeitures and the $$ is split between those schools who are left.

No, the fact that we’re a tiny private school is the reason we apparently aren’t in the conversation.

So has being in the ACC made BC, Louisville, and Cuse less desirable? I could imagine Cuse going to the Big Ten 10-20 years ago.

The good part of all of this is that Wake could get some "buy games" against some cool opponents in the future.

Which schedule is actually better ?

Michigan/Tennessee
App State
Army/Elon
Tulane
SMU
ECU
Temple
USF
Memphis
Tulsa
Navy
Duke

Or

Western Carolina
Ole Miss
Army
Va Tech
Ga Tech
Duke
Syracuse
Clemson
Miami
NC State
BC
UVA

The good part of all of this is that Wake could get some "buy games" against some cool opponents in the future.

Which schedule is actually better ?

Michigan/Tennessee
App State
Army/Elon
Tulane
SMU
ECU
Temple
USF
Memphis
Tulsa
Navy
Duke

Or

Western Carolina
Ole Miss
Army
Va Tech
Ga Tech
Duke
Syracuse
Clemson
Miami
NC State
BC
UVA

Late to the thread. Is this a serious question?

Maybe we should all adopt other schools to become our main ones. Who you got? My cousin went to Georgia so I guess I can take them. And my sister went to grad school at Michigan so I guess my bases are covered.

I seriously want to meet the dick that came up with Magnificent SEVEN. So to get to the SEC you have to become the biggest nerd in history. We are nerds, but we are magnificent. In the nerd space, this is as bad as it gets. It’s truly remarkable. Who fears this shit? Fucking no one.

The ACC has also probably vetted numerous teams. As has the SEC. As has C-USA. As has the American. That means nothing.

Would say the SEC boot a Vanderbilt or would they opt to retain the current teams? I think in sports we are on par with a number of their teams but clearly ahead of them.

Back