• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Conference Expansion: Stanford, California and SMU Join the ACC

Because ND only played 4 last year, and they are supposed to play 5 ACC teams. Not sure if it was ND or the ACC that asked for the change in 2022.

So are we excited about this? Neutral? Seems like it would at least put the ACC on better footing in the big picture and possibly bring in more money. Figure NCSU or possibly both the NC schools have to be the most likely flips.

So are we excited about this? Neutral? Seems like it would at least put the ACC on better footing in the big picture and possibly bring in more money. Figure NCSU or possibly both the NC schools have to be the most likely flips.
how tf do I put a gif of Dabo on here

I feel like the ACC needed to make a move. I like the idea of adding Cal and Stanford from an academics perspective. I’d be curious to know the average USNWR ranking of each conference but recognize that Louisville drops our average significantly.

Also think it would be a good excuse to get out to CA and do some wine tours.

SMU doesn’t do anything for me.

It could be unanimous. If one of the previous "no" votes flips and votes before the other "no" votes, I could see all the other fall in line because it is inevitable. I don't see four nays if they vote. One at most.

I think this is one of the better articles written on ACC expansion and provides alot of color.

Among the takeaways for me based on this and other recent articles. The holdup on expansion the last few days has not been about whether to admit new schools, it has been about how to divvy up the additional money. Once the Presidents come to an agreement on how much of the additional money is divided equally vs how much is divided based on performance metrics, then the vote happens to admit the new members.

ESPN is currently giving ACC about $34M per year (and that will rise through out the next 13 years as these contracts are always backloaded and usually they just provide an average for the length of the contract) for Tier 1-3 rights. The pro rata share for the new members is just for Tier 1 (though that is roughly 70% of the total according to the article).

ACC should also see increased revenue due to ACC Network. "ESPN would also receive an increase in in-network rates for now having schools reside in California and Texas." ESPN should see increased revenue from ACC Network from the carriage rates (last I saw going from out-of-network to in-network increased the rate from in the $0.30 to $0.40 range to the $1.50 to $1.70 range per subscriber). So ACC should also see its revenue increase from that since the ACC receives a contracted % of ESPN's ACC Network profits.

Finally, after this is all done i'd be quite happy if the ACC wanted to tell FSU to pound sand. Feel free to pay the $120M+ exit fee and we will hold your media rights through 2036 like the contract you signed stated and you can have your media rights back at that point. Good luck finding a conference that would want you when they would receive $0 in media money for your presence for a over a decade.

I think this is one of the better articles written on ACC expansion and provides alot of color.

Among the takeaways for me based on this and other recent articles. The holdup on expansion the last few days has not been about whether to admit new schools, it has been about how to divvy up the additional money. Once the Presidents come to an agreement on how much of the additional money is divided equally vs how much is divided based on performance metrics, then the vote happens to admit the new members.

ESPN is currently giving ACC about $34M per year (and that will rise through out the next 13 years as these contracts are always backloaded and usually they just provide an average for the length of the contract) for Tier 1-3 rights. The pro rata share for the new members is just for Tier 1 (though that is roughly 70% of the total according to the article).

ACC should also see increased revenue due to ACC Network. "ESPN would also receive an increase in in-network rates for now having schools reside in California and Texas." ESPN should see increased revenue from ACC Network from the carriage rates (last I saw going from out-of-network to in-network increased the rate from in the $0.30 to $0.40 range to the $1.50 to $1.70 range per subscriber). So ACC should also see its revenue increase from that since the ACC receives a contracted % of ESPN's ACC Network profits.

Finally, after this is all done i'd be quite happy if the ACC wanted to tell FSU to pound sand. Feel free to pay the $120M+ exit fee and we will hold your media rights through 2036 like the contract you signed stated and you can have your media rights back at that point. Good luck finding a conference that would want you when they would receive $0 in media money for your presence for a over a decade.
Tiers!

ACCN carriage rates in CA and TX plus getting a 10:30 or 11:00 EST game some weeks should be a nice boon. I hope the ACC gets a good chunk of that increase.

I pitched a Pac-10/ACC network many years ago about when the Big Ten Network started. Crazy this is how it will happen.

So I guess we’re going to be getting some 9-10pm kicks. Should be…interesting.

i like it. if tradition is fucked already, may as well have a fun conference. it will be nice for duke to accuse of being nerds

images

also we really should change to the All Coasts Conference. Minimal logo hassle, plus accuracy. we have the Atlantic, the Pacific, and the Gulf of Mexico. If we could add northwestern we'd get the beaches of chicago too

"ESPN would also receive an increase in in-network rates for now having schools reside in California and Texas."

it appears SMU really is bringing that lucrative Texas TV market, despite nobody really caring all that much about SMU sports

Back