• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Conference Expansion: Stanford, California and SMU Join the ACC

Not sure how to post tweets but Mike Silver of the SF Chronicle tweeted earlier today that Wake, Syracuse and VT “were positive forces in recent days” in drumming up the necessary votes. He’s a legit reporter and has like 200k followers so that’s kinda cool to hear.

Not sure how to post tweets but Mike Silver of the SF Chronicle tweeted earlier today that Wake, Syracuse and VT “were positive forces in recent days” in drumming up the necessary votes. He’s a legit reporter and has like 200k followers so that’s kinda cool to hear.

Turning and turning in the widening gyre
The falcon cannot hear the falconer;
Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

Surely some revelation is at hand;
Surely the Second Coming is at hand.
The Second Coming! Hardly are those words out
When a vast image out of Spiritus Mundi
Troubles my sight: somewhere in sands of the desert
A shape with lion body and the head of a man,
A gaze blank and pitiless as the sun,
Is moving its slow thighs, while all about it
Reel shadows of the indignant desert birds.
The darkness drops again; but now I know
That twenty centuries of stony sleep
Were vexed to nightmare by a rocking cradle,
And what rough beast, its hour come round at last,
Slouches towards Bethlehem to be born?

[just being a little silly]

Last edited:
Sad heel should blame the abandonment of OK St, Wazzou, and Oregon St.

That had to inform NCSU's "switch in time that saved nine" times two.

The list of states in which the flagship and “state” university have been together and in the same FBS conference for the last 50 years will be pretty short after all this shakes down.

UNC/State
Alabama/Auburn
Mississippi/Miss State
Kansas/Kansas State
(Arizona/Arizona State moving together)

Gotta imagine State realized they could be next.

Yeah I posted this on Twitter but the naysayers to this deal really fall into three categories:

1. The Nostalgic ("I want the ACC to be back to 8 schools and any change sucks")
2. The Unrealistic ("I want SEC/Big 10 teams and/or schools that are stuck in a GOR from another conference")
3. The Departed ("This makes it harder for my team to actively tank and dissolve the conference")

1-A. Conference was better before they let Ga Tech in. Go back to 7 schools.

Get in good with the new guys. Get some of that Silicon Valley money over to MSD.

The list of states in which the flagship and “state” university have been together and in the same FBS conference for the last 50 years will be pretty short after all this shakes down.

UNC/State
Alabama/Auburn
Mississippi/Miss State
Kansas/Kansas State

Michigan
Indiana/Purdue

Today is the best day for Wake Forest sports in years. It really is. We dodged disaster.

I wish the ACC and Wake Forest had chosen to win in basketball. But clearly that is an extreme minority view. This is just great though that we stay at the table of major college athletics. And the new paradigm means we probably get to land in tier 2 next time with the other left overs -- a far better fate than we were staring at.

If anything you know that this was the right move because it has that dumb fuck jhmd in such a tizzy.
Clinging to a short term deal because you don't think beyond your fear might be the most lowf thing I have ever heard of. Wake has the most leverage in its history but screw it, who needs a long term plan, right?

Clinging to a short term deal because you don't think beyond your fear might be the most lowf thing I have ever heard of. Wake has the most leverage in its history but screw it, who needs a long term plan, right?
I jumped in late

What was your long-term proposal?

here in the real world, there is no scenario in which we can boot Pitt, Syracuse, BC and remain an 11-team ACC. It can't happen. And if teams leave the ACC to form a new league, WF in all likelihood would not be invited. No need to discuss furhter because you aren't dealing in reality.
No, the ACC should turn to charter schools, and parental choice in education, and two parent households and should it start by learning THE lesson of the 2016 election.

Any predictions on how the football schedules/rivals/pods will be set up

The easiest would be 9 games and a 2-7-7 model.

8 games is tough.

the easiest way would be 8 teams on, 8 teams off and then switch the next year. But that interrupts rival games and would never happen.

UNC/State
Alabama/Auburn
Mississippi/Miss State
Kansas/Kansas State

Obviously it hasn't been 50 years but we also have this with UVa / VT basically

Back