• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Conference Expansion: Stanford, California and SMU Join the ACC

I don't understand why the ACC would take any of those schools over Washington St and Oregon St. It might make some sense if we weren't already taking Stanford and Cal. But it seems like for logistics alone it would make more sense to take 2 more west coast schools.
I don’t think logistics supports adding 2 more west coast schools to an atlantic coast conference. Logistics didn’t support adding the first 2.

I don’t think logistics supports adding 2 more west coast schools to an atlantic coast conference. Logistics didn’t support adding the first 2.
Logistics actually makes more sense for 4 west coast schools than for 2. With 4 they can be their own "pod" and play each other every year (1x in football and 2x in basketball) and then only need to rotate the other schools on and off their schedules.

We are 17 Football playing schools now, wouldn't we need 4 pods of 5 to make a west coast only pod?

This would definitely make the ACC a Tier 3, maybe even 4, conference

With regards to Clemson leaving (or UNC or FSU, etc)
Is there anything that suggests they have any way our of the grant of rights other than just forking over $120MM?
I'm sure i've missed something, but all i've read is people nebulously suggesting that "they have found a way", but no one (as far as I've read) even has a guess as to how it would happen.

If they really found a way, it would be much bigger deal than rumors and such.

Logistics actually makes more sense for 4 west coast schools than for 2. With 4 they can be their own "pod" and play each other every year (1x in football and 2x in basketball) and then only need to rotate the other schools on and off their schedules.
This. For basketball, you could schedule around a model like this while keeping the current 20-game schedule:

West
Stanford
Cal
WSU
OSU
SMU

Big East
Notre Dame
Louisville
BC
Syracuse
Pitt

Old North
UVA
UNC
dook
NCSU
Wake

South
GT
Clemson
FSU
Miami
VPI

Each team plays home-and-home against every other team in their pod (8 games). Each pod will play each team in 2 of the 3 other pods every year on a rotating basis (10 games). Then, each school is assigned 1 or 2 permanent cross-pod rivals that they will play in an additional game each year, so that in years when they are playing that pod, they get a home-and-home against their rival, and in years when they're not playing that pod, they get one game against them (1-2 games).

Wake's schedule could look something like this:

Intra-pod play
UVA
@UVA
UNC
@UNC
dook
@dook
NCSU
@NCSU

Rotating pod 1
Stanford
Cal
WSU
OSU
SMU

Rotating pod 2
@GT
@Clemson
@FSU
@Miami
@VPI

Rivals
GT
@BC

No games
ND
Louisville
Syracuse
Pitt

Then the next year, we'd pick up the Big East pod and lose the Western pod, then we'd add the West and lose the South, and so on and so forth.

This. For basketball, you could schedule around a model like this while keeping the current 20-game schedule:

West
Stanford
Cal
WSU
OSU
SMU

Big East
Notre Dame
Louisville
BC
Syracuse
Pitt

Old North
UVA
UNC
dook
NCSU
Wake

South
GT
Clemson
FSU
Miami
VPI

Each team plays home-and-home against every other team in their pod (8 games). Each pod will play each team in 2 of the 3 other pods every year on a rotating basis (10 games). Then, each school is assigned 1 or 2 permanent cross-pod rivals that they will play in an additional game each year, so that in years when they are playing that pod, they get a home-and-home against their rival, and in years when they're not playing that pod, they get one game against them (1-2 games).

Wake's schedule could look something like this:

Intra-pod play
UVA
@UVA
UNC
@UNC
dook
@dook
NCSU
@NCSU

Rotating pod 1
Stanford
Cal
WSU
OSU
SMU

Rotating pod 2
@GT
@Clemson
@FSU
@Miami
@VPI

Rivals
GT
@BC

No games
ND
Louisville
Syracuse
Pitt

Then the next year, we'd pick up the Big East pod and lose the Western pod, then we'd add the West and lose the South, and so on and so forth.
This is a great idea, but unfortunately has no chance of being implemented. Any schedule in which some teams get zero games against UNC or Duke is a non-starter.

did the ACC get rejected by Oregon St & Washington St? why in the fuck would they be considering Tulsa or UAB over them?

Corvallis and Pullman aren't particularly close to the Bay Area. Washington State is nearly as far from Stanford and Cal as SMU is from Louisville and Georgia Tech.

Tulsa and UAB REALLY make no sense, but WTF we are just into adding everybody willy nilly now so why not?

Tulsa would supplant us as the smallest P5 school if that happened.

Corvallis and Pullman aren't particularly close to the Bay Area. Washington State is nearly as far from Stanford and Cal as SMU is from Louisville and Georgia Tech.
But of course the distance between Pullman and the Bay Area is immaterial, as they're already accustomed to making that trip. It's the ability to make that shorter trip on occasion instead of having to travel to the East Coast or TX for every single away game.

Not to mention having to switch time zones. Adding OSU and WSU creates more games at convenient times for athletes, fans, and east coast late night viewers.

When our conference already has South FL, New England, the Upper Midwest (? whatever the fuck South Bend is considered), Texas, Upstate NY and the Bay Area, it's hard to make any further arguments about distance unless like Hawaii is being considered

When our conference already has South FL, New England, the Upper Midwest (? whatever the fuck South Bend is considered), Texas, Upstate NY and the Bay Area, it's hard to make any further arguments about distance unless like Hawaii is being considered
...and honestly I'll take Hawaii eleventy billion percent over East Fucking Carolina

If the schools trying to depart are chiefly concerned about falling behind in revenue behind the schools they are recruiting against, then presumably they expect to just join one of those 3 conferences and immediately be given an equal share, no mind to the penalty for leaving the ACC? I don’t understand how that math works. If ESPN is paying 30 million for your games as an ACC member, why would ESPN be interested in paying you 50 million for games in the SEC?

It isn’t as if there is a whole market of distributors fighting over the media distribution rights for each school. It’s just ESPN or Fox.

Back