• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Current Wake Forest Course: Classics Beyond Whiteness

This may be wrong because it’s been years, but I’m pretty sure Wake had a diversity requirement like 15 years ago. That’s why I took, “gender issues as seen through African American literature”. Woke Forest nothing new here!

Guess I never paid much attention to this guy before, but now I’ll remember him for something other than always misreading his name as bang bus.

Phew what a take. Feel better after posting that bang bus?

I mean, absolutely nobody is taking this class who isn't already hyped up about the issues here. It's not like you're changing the view of a lot of white folks with an elective class in the Classics department if you don't force them to take it. If I were taking this class, the main thing I would be interested in is how the fuck can I get around reading all of this old ass shit with modern commentary . ? ! You know, like any other Classics class.

As others have mentioned, this is the free market at work. A professor wants to teach this class and if it doesn’t fill up it won’t be offered. No need for angry white guys to get involved.

The Classics class I took only had 15-20 people in it and it fulfilled a requirement. Pretty low bar imo. That was also quite a while ago. But yeah, let the free market work.

who the fuck is taking classics classes at WFU
During my years at Wake there was one professor in particular whose classes were basically impossible to get into. Dunno if he is still there.

The Classics class I took only had 15-20 people in it and it fulfilled a requirement. Pretty low bar imo. That was also quite a while ago. But yeah, let the free market work.

Probably mythology. Very popular general education course in western universities

During my years at Wake there was one professor in particular whose classes were basically impossible to get into. Dunno if he is still there.

James Powell retired in 2015. They've really built up the program since then and it's a pretty great group of faculty and majors these days

If I were taking this class, the main thing I would be interested in is how the fuck can I get around reading all of this old ass shit with modern commentary . ? ! You know, like any other Classics class.

looks like a general education course (200-level) so it will not be mostly majors and it will be taught in translation.

ETA: a requirement for majors and minors in classics so not sure what percentage will be divisional students versus majors and minors

Last edited:
I didn't take Mythology, but it was a pretty standard class.

These professors need to get out there and market their classes or they need to be canned !!!!

And based on this it sounds like the market is demanding it due to the success and popularity of the Classics Beyond Europe series.

Just to add some additional context here: responding to the success of the "classics beyond Europe" series, the "classics beyond whiteness" series ("a multidisciplinary and multimedia program including lectures, workshops, film screenings, art projects, a reading group, and a museum exhibit") began in 2019 and ran through the pandemic. The course, first taught in 2019, is now a requirement for majors and minors in classics.

who the fuck is taking classics classes at WFU
Though it's been a while, I was a Latin major. Have no idea of what the Classics department offers in toto these days; I do find the course interesting, though. The experiences I had in the department had a huge bearing on my perceptions, and who I am. Wouldn't trade for a trust fund.

ETA: There were two others in my graduating class who majored in Latin. Pretty sure we all became educators. So, @ImTheCaptain, not many, I reckon! 🙂

Last edited:
Anyone else take a class with Dr Lerner? In my memory he was literally growling and prowling around the room like a bear as he impersonated Caligula or something. Certainly extremely enthusiastic about old Roman texts

He also had anger issues and would absolutely blow up at students IIRC.

Back