• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Dan's Take on Whatever

Feels like that's exactly the type of challenge that Clawson would seek. You could say something similar about coming to Wake in the shadow of bigger programs in the ACC.

Not sure why people are mentioning Penn State. Franklin's not going anywhere unless the NFL comes calling.

Franklin's name keeps popping up in the USC possible opening.

I used to say this about Jim Grobe and I think the same thing applies to Clawson. He is a really good coach who has done some great things at Wake. But because of the size and fan base interest, he gets away with doing some things that would get him fired in his 3rd year at an SEC school. With Grobe, it was punting from the 35 yard line on 4th and 2 and crap like that and with Clawson its the delayed handoff scheme and lack of variety/imagination on offense. An SEC fanbase would be up in arms if they had a former QB playing massive minutes at WR without ever once running an orbit or throwing a pass and they sure as hell would lose their shit if they saw a Cade Carney type RB trying to run outside on Alabama.
Doesn't mean that Grobe or Clawson aren't outstanding coaches, just means that at WFU some of their "peculiarities" get overlooked (outside of the few diehards on this message board) that would be front and center at a school that lives and breathes football.
Agree

This is not the old days. TV money has changed things. These night games kill us attendance wise.

Also where would Clawsen go. He is an intense dude. He does not like weed either. Seriously in today’s world think about California etc. Culturally he is a tight ass private school dude. He would not handle most of these 5* athletes. He doesn’t have Dabo like charisma either.

I worry about Michigan St. South Carolina, Ohio st, Penn st. NW, and Stanford. That’s really about it.

Wake is a good fit. We do need to get more fans in but again these night games suck for that.

I will be making my first game Saturday. GO DEACS!

I don't know why but I got a very sour grapes vibe from country Dan in this article. Kinda like he is rooting for clawson to leave wake so Connor and les can be as miserable as he was his last couple years reporting about wake. His line about not being back to any wake games felt a little peculiar.

As for attendance issues, when you have a small fan base that typically moves away upon graduation it makes it harder. I feel like ECU and App state have better attendance because very few alumni move out of state upon graduation and they are located in smaller towns than Winston where the college is the town basically. Also wake has done a shit job in the past in trying to engage the local population.

Clawson is not going to find anyplace that pays him what we do that will have the patience to do a clawson style take it down to the studs and rebuild from the bottom. I just don't think there's enough in his resume at wake to get a bigger job's fan base excited. 6 win seasons won't cut it for them but he could continue coaching forever at wake winning 6 a year and I would personally be happy to have that as a floor. Even if he wins out this year, we really didn't have any win over a top 25 program that would be a constant necessity at a top tier job. All this being said I love clawson and hope he stays forever.

I used to say this about Jim Grobe and I think the same thing applies to Clawson. He is a really good coach who has done some great things at Wake. But because of the size and fan base interest, he gets away with doing some things that would get him fired in his 3rd year at an SEC school. With Grobe, it was punting from the 35 yard line on 4th and 2 and crap like that and with Clawson its the delayed handoff scheme and lack of variety/imagination on offense. An SEC fanbase would be up in arms if they had a former QB playing massive minutes at WR without ever once running an orbit or throwing a pass and they sure as hell would lose their shit if they saw a Cade Carney type RB trying to run outside on Alabama.
Doesn't mean that Grobe or Clawson aren't outstanding coaches, just means that at WFU some of their "peculiarities" get overlooked (outside of the few diehards on this message board) that would be front and center at a school that lives and breathes football.

I think this explains Clawson, and Grobe's later years. He can't say what will answer your question without embarrassing his players or staff.

. . . Also wake has done a [poor] job in the past in trying to engage the local population. . .

This has been years in the making and it will take much work to change how locals feel about WF and it’s football program.
It’s not one thing it is all things that need work.
WF has begun making some changes and improvements which have been good so far. More to do.

I've always enjoyed Dan's blogs. I'm disappointed he hasn't come to see the Deacs over the last few years. Maybe he'll go to the Orange Bowl.

I wish we had better fan support, but I don't know how really to change it. 2006 was good, especially against BC, so maybe consistently competing for ACC titles is what it takes. That season there was just a feeling that we could win the ACC and we did, I think a big difference now is, even after getting off to the start we did and technically being in the hunt for the ACC title well into the season, we all knew that we really weren't in it. Personally I haven't missed a home game since 2001, not saying that to claim to be a better fan or anything like that, but just we need more like me. Non-alum, fan since a child, who just loves Wake Football (and basketball too, but taking a leave from that until the school commits to it again).

One way might be to open 'er up and go to 15,000 undergrads and come up with about 30,000 local alumna instead of all these out-of-staters & foreigners who go back where they came from instead of staying around their alma mater. Other than that, we have 5000+ undergrads at a school with an average SAT score of 1400+ and only 22% come from the state of North Carolina. Most don't have a clue about ACC sports, they or their parents are paying $75,000 per year to go here and they would rather be studying on a Saturday. Same can be said & seen at Duke, Boston College, Rice, Vandy & Northwestern. Not sure any AD in America can change those variables in our favor.

Pretty much. Then add in that there's far more to do than go to a college football game on Saturdays and even students who are college football fans can stay home and watch the team they grew up rooting for play on whatever device they choose.

Collins ignores the general state of football game attendance all over the country. It's down and been going down. It's easy to see why. Multiple reasons. It ain't a Wake specific problem.

I got the sour grapes vibe from Dan, also. I appreciate Dan and usually agree with him. However, the game turnout issues are national and even affect several other schools in the ACC. Duke has our issues 2X. We have done better in the past and can do better with concerted and creative marketing. Our bowl crowds are good relative to our school size and we normally play an entertaining style for TV audiences. Claw is a great fit for us and he has a reservoir of patience to do things his way.

I've always enjoyed Dan's blogs. I'm disappointed he hasn't come to see the Deacs over the last few years. Maybe he'll go to the Orange Bowl.

Dan covered Wake games because that is what he was paid to do. Since the paychecks have stopped he no longer has any interest in going to Wake games, remember he is a graduate of unc

If Dan was covering Skip he'd still be singing the man's praises. I'm sure he has a bad taste in his mouth after dealing with [Redacted], Manning, and a prevaricating Wellman at the end of his career.

Collins ignores the general state of football game attendance all over the country. It's down and been going down. It's easy to see why. Multiple reasons. It ain't a Wake specific problem.

Didn't Notre Dame just have their 1st non-sellout in about 40 years. Both they and Navy were ranked, so it wasn't like it was a shit game.

Speaking of ND, I heard 3rd hand that Clawson loves Wake but ND is the one place Clawson would go if they wanted him.

I thought Dan said he wanted to compete for a national championship.

Correct on all counts but Wake has a much smaller margin of error compared to other schools so it's even more noticeable when attendance dips.

And keep in mind we're not talking about a 3 to 4 win season here as a double digit win total is still in the cards. The crowd for the Louisville game when we were undefeated and ranked in the Top 20 was a joke.

Didn't Notre Dame just have their 1st non-sellout in about 40 years. Both they and Navy were ranked, so it wasn't like it was a shit game.

Speaking of ND, I heard 3rd hand that Clawson loves Wake but ND is the one place Clawson would go if they wanted him.

Obviously no inside info but I agree about ND. I think it is one of a handful of schools that Clawson would want to go.

I don't think he'd last very long there FWIW.

Attendance (and fans staying around for the 2nd half) is an issue everywhere. Ole Miss is in the heart of the football country and an original member of the SEC. They played #1 LSU on Saturday night in Ole Miss's biggest home game of the season, and Ole Miss had the offense rolling throughout(614 yards of offense; 37 points); the game was a fun watch. Even so, by the fourth quarter, Vaught-Hemingway stadium was more than half-empty.

As noted above, ND's 46 year sell-out streak ended last week in a game between ranked teams. Just so easy to watch the games on TV, and a lot of people can't devote what often turns out to be a full day to attend a sporting event.

Back