• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Death Star Stadium Under Construction (Pictures)

You do know that FCS is the same thing as 1-AA don't you? They just changed the name from 1-AA to FCS. I'm sure somewhere a long the line we'll need a cupcake FCS/1-AA opponent and we can spank you guys at BB&T and give you some bucks for your program.

There is no 1-AA football. It has been renamed FCS. Get with the program.

And we will be glad to play at Wake Forest, we'll even give you a Two games at BB&T and One at McColl-Richardson arrangement. It would be a nice gesture on the part of Old Man Grobe to help out Coach Lambert. Wake could use a natural rival and Charlotte will be the nearest FCS or FBS school to Wake Forest.

We're already competing with your for recruits. It's just amatter of time before we kick your ass on the field.

I'll try to answer some of the honest questions as well as some of the blatant insults, while filling in the empty space that exists behind some of your eyeballs.

Cornbread Maxwell is an esteemed alum of Charlotte. He was Tim Duncan before there was a Tim Duncan. The main difference between Cornbread and Duncan is that Cornbread played in the Final Four. However, the stadium will be named McColl-Richardson Field, after its benefactors Hugh McColl and Jerry Richardson. Maybe you've heard of them. I think it speaks volumes that the stadium will be named after two guys who touched many things in their lives, turning them to gold, which actually fits with the 49'ers name.

The stadium will be an awesome, state of the art facility. It will be an incubator for the program. It will start off small with 15,300 of the most rabid major market football fans in the South. It can be expanded to 25,000 overnight with bleachers if the program grows quickly. Ultimately the stadium is designed to seat 40,000. All we need is attendees and money; both of which are virtually guaranteed.

Charlotte will start as a FCS team, not 1-AA and certainly not Division 2. I understand that many Wake fans are ignorant of how college sports actually work. Hopefully you now understand.

State of North Carolina taxpayers are not paying for the stadium or the football team. In fact, Charlotte 49ers football should be an economic driver to the region, increasing tax collections.

The stadium is below grade, taking advantage of the slope of the site. It is not a puddle. Here's an example of another stadium originally built below grade. I think it has worked out pretty well for these guys. Our time is coming.

michigan_stadium.jpg

Sure it works well for them, but everyone who knows college football/anything about architecture knows that the Big House is a complete shit stadium and a terrible place to watch a football game. Awful sight lines, noise escapes easily, some seats 1/2 mile from the field, shall I go on? Thanks for playing.

Say this: Tiger is my daddy.

There is no 1-AA football. It has been renamed FCS. Get with the program.

And we will be glad to play at Wake Forest, we'll even give you a Two games at BB&T and One at McColl-Richardson arrangement. It would be a nice gesture on the part of Old Man Grobe to help out Coach Lambert. Wake could use a natural rival and Charlotte will be the nearest FCS or FBS school to Wake Forest.

We're already competing with your for recruits. :rofl: It's just amatter of time before we kick your ass on the field.

That's exactly what I said troll.

It's really going to start out seating only 15,300? I would have thought there would be a Div i minimum of 25,000 seats.

What are we at? 38,000 seats? or is it a tad more?

MQBWDOHLLXEJFGI.20100922132943.jpg

The field house is cool, and makes me realize, boy we need a new one. The rest of it ... ahh. It looks like they have plans for about 500 cars right now, following the "think small' mentality. Build it, and they will come - or about 500 will. Anything more and we're fucked.

FCS doesn't have any stadium size requirements. FBS only requires 15,000 average actual or paid attendance for all home contests over a rolling two-year period, so our stadium is already technically big enough for FCS, assuming we sell out every game.

Do you see all of those trees? That can be parking. No problem.

Also, there is a lot of parking on campus for those students who "commute" from their nearby apartments to class every day.

Additionally, the light rail line will eventually reach UNCC, likely by the end of this decade, by which time we should really have football rolling. So people can ride the train to the game, similar to the Boston College model, but with more tailgating when they get there.

Last edited:
Sure it works well for them, but everyone who knows college football/anything about architecture knows that the Big House is a complete shit stadium and a terrible place to watch a football game. Awful sight lines, noise escapes easily, some seats 1/2 mile from the field, shall I go on? Thanks for playing.

Say this: Tiger is my daddy.

I think maybe we've worked out some of the kinks from a 90-year old stadium.

I'll bet anything that I have done more for UNC-Charlotte than you have.

I know GoNiners and I seriously doubt that. He may be a little misguided in his views on UNCC and Wake, but he pours his heart and soul into all things UNCC.

and I pour my money into UNCC

In that case, you've probably run into GoNiners and don't even know it. After arguing about UNCC on the boards for months, it turns out we had some friends in common and ran into each other at a social gathering. Way better guy than he comes across here, and way more connected at UNCC than he lets on.

In that case, you've probably run into GoNiners and don't even know it. After arguing about UNCC on the boards for months, it turns out we had some friends in common and ran into each other at a social gathering. Way better guy than he comes across here, and way more connected at UNCC than he lets on.

You would think that when someone from his team points out some shortcomings that UNCC will have to overcome, that he would actually listen.

Back