• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Disco Dan Article: Despite setbacks, [Redacted] remains optimistic

If that were the only time he had used that phrase, I'd possibly agree with you. The problem is that when he says, "We're moving forward," multiple times in an interview, it comes across as "I don't want to talk about that."

"I'm not here to talk about the past."

Last edited:
O"Kelley was consensus top 50 if I remember (we beat Memphis and Indiana for him). Vid was a top 100. I think Arinze too. I imagine that class was rated higher than this one.

When I think about the large incoming class and lack of returning depth, I'm reminded of the 97 class of O'Kelley, Vidaretta, Arinze, etc. I realize the situations aren't the same and I believe this class is rated higher than the 97 class (can't remember that class's ranking). Those 4 years were definitely some tough times but it did pave the way for rebuilding with later additions of Howard and Songailia that culminated with the CP3 period. Of course, there was also a coaching change during that time.

If this incoming class can help us add some stability and competitiveness that helps recruiting and leaves a base for the next coach, I will be happy.
The coaching change is the most important part of the scenario

[Redacted] has clearly been given lines to say in public.

http://www.journalnow.net/index.php/mytakeonwake/entry/interview-with-jeff-[Redacted]-part-i/

http://www.journalnow.net/index.php/mytakeonwake/entry/interview-with-jeff-[Redacted]-part-iii/

http://www.journalnow.net/index.php/mytakeonwake/entry/interview-with-jeff-[Redacted]-part-v/

http://www.journalnow.net/index.php/mytakeonwake/entry/interview-with-jeff-[Redacted]-part-vii/

Like a politician on a Sunday news program. Just keep spouting the same nonsense party line no matter what the question is. Pathetic and annoying.

Disagree. They're his lines. Wellman is getting them from him. Hence why the "culture change" BS didn't start till he got here.

When I think about the large incoming class and lack of returning depth, I'm reminded of the 97 class of O'Kelley, Vidaretta, Arinze, etc. I realize the situations aren't the same and I believe this class is rated higher than the 97 class (can't remember that class's ranking). Those 4 years were definitely some tough times but it did pave the way for rebuilding with later additions of Howard and Songailia that culminated with the CP3 period. Of course, there was also a coaching change during that time.

If this incoming class can help us add some stability and competitiveness that helps recruiting and leaves a base for the next coach, I will be happy.

Be careful for posting rational stuff like this, you are likely to get blasted.

Title should be "Despite Self-Inflicted Setbacks, [Redacted] Remains Optimistic"

I don't think very many people would disagree with that analogy at all.

I don't think very many people would disagree with that analogy at all.

Agreed. The premise is not unreasonable. Of course we would also have to hope Bz doesn't run this year's class off as well.

I wonder about the assistants, of course we never have to wait long for bad news around here.

Worth pointing out that the Vid class had its share of attrition too. Arinze, Macmillan, Griffin off the top of my head.

Edit: that's it bc rok, shoe, and Vid stayed all four. So that's 50% attrition. Not great.

Amazing that ABCDE the next year was 5 for 5 in terms of finishing at WF. That's a pretty underrated class.

Last edited:
Worth pointing out that the Vid class had its share of attrition too. Arinze, Macmillan, Griffin off the top of my head.

Edit: that's it bc rok, shoe, and Vid stayed all four. So that's 50% attrition. Not great.

Amazing that ABCDE the next year was 5 for 5 in terms of finishing at WF. That's a pretty underrated class.

I believe the Dawson, Murray, Songaila class is and will continue to be the final BCS school class to enroll 5 scholarship freshmen and graduate all 5 in 4 years. I would be shocked if it has happened since. I wonder if there is a database with the NCAA that could be searched on this topic. It is another credit to GDO.

I believe the Dawson, Murray, Songaila class is and will continue to be the final BCS school class to enroll 5 scholarship freshmen and graduate all 5 in 4 years. I would be shocked if it has happened since. I wonder if there is a database with the NCAA that could be searched on this topic. It is another credit to GDO.

Richard Joyce didn't play his senior year, but he graduated, which means the 2002 class (Justin Gray, Eric Williams, Trent Strickland, Chris Ellis, Joyce) also qualifies.

It is another credit to GDO.

Wow. Some people will go out of their way to credit GDO, including starting an account just to post this as if he performed some kind of miracle keeping those guys in school in a very different college basketball atmosphere from now.

OGB, didn't realize all 5 marched that May. Good to know.

Racer, I was close to Skip and will always be a part of the Prosser camp. Have had an account off and on for a while and certainly didn't post to get into a GDO debate. You will see my results in the Masters pool. As to your comments on the different atmosphere, I commented at the time they graduated that it was a rare feat then. I bet it has happened less than 10 times at BCS schools 5 years before and after their graduation. My comment really had nothing to do with now.

When will this nightmare end!!!!!!!!????????????????

This is a very positive way to look at the next couple of years. Kudos to you for being able to stay positive... I can't anymore.

This post says it all. The seasons that led to Odom leaving and represent the failure to follow up the Duncan era are positive.

This post says it all. The seasons that led to Odom leaving and represent the failure to follow up the Duncan era are positive.

Yeah, I'm not sure what you mean here, but that could be because I started following Wake when I applied, which was during the Prosser years, so my knowledge of the Odom era is shaky at best.

Regardless, to clarify my post, I read DeacAlum2001's post about the incoming recruits to say that hopefully they will bring some notoriety to the bball program during their tenure, which will hopefully translate into a couple of all-star recruits that will get us back on track. If I misunderstood DeacAlum2001's post, then whoops.

tumblr_kwv2ceeHco1qaexg6o1_r1_400.jpg

Destroy the old world. Forge a new world.

Back