• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Disco Dan on the GT Debacle

Just because you're the 2nd/3rd best player on a mediocre team doesn't give you the right to act like a d bag

I don't like the dude. But we need him & he's our only capable big man. So yeah. I'd complain.

There's a pretty big difference between not liking a player and not caring if they transferred.

No way would I want to see Devin leave. Very talented. He's always gonna be an emotional player but just needs to get his emotions a little more in check- wearing them on his sleeve is doing him no favors. But no way would I like to see him gone.

We're gonna get another coach in next year and he's gonna be like...yo why didn't the former coach (Bzsuck) handle Devin's development a little bit better? Then he's going to channel his inner Gandhi which good coaches have and get Devin to take that big next step.

The irony is that this team badly needs a culture change. Whether the lack of accountability for individual and team play or the lack of respect for opponents and teammates, the oppositional culture that's bubbling up to the surface this year is really problematic.

It's one thing to have a "me against the world" dynamic when disrespect precedes winning games. It's quite another when you're losing embarrassingly and blaming everyone but yourself. That's the occupational hazard of having a coach as utterly repugnant and incompetent as [Redacted]. His attitude trickles down and voila: his players are starting to sound an awful lot like he does.

We're gonna get another coach in next year and he's gonna be like...yo why didn't the former coach (Bzsuck) handle Devin's development a little bit better? Then he's going to channel his inner Gandhi which good coaches have and get Devin to take that big next step.
And I hope he does take that step for the sake of the team but as long as he's acting like a d bag instead of a man I wouldn't mind him walking out the door.

For all of you all calling out DT...what the hell do you want? You cry...we need emotion and passion. He shows it. If he had his line and did not show emotion, it would be the same shit, other side of the coin. Lets keep this on Bz and keep our guys out of it.

It's not about emotion. It's about playing with a motor that doesn't quit.
Check out Duncan's demeanor next time the Spurs are on.

For all of you all calling out DT...what the hell do you want? You cry...we need emotion and passion. He shows it. If he had his line and did not show emotion, it would be the same shit, other side of the coin. Lets keep this on Bz and keep our guys out of it.
Not really calling him out. It is what it is, Devin's emotions get the best of him sometimes (see the Virgin Islands game vs Kansas). I think Bzzz deserves a lot of the blame for that; a coach needs to give his players some guidance on how to act to the media and how to act on the court. It is one thing to call out fans when you are winning and no one shows up. When you have been a losing team for going on 4 years, you sound like a douche for calling out the fans.

I like that he plays with emotion and passion, I just think there are times, like in that interview, where he lets his emotions get the better of him. But I like Devin. This team would be far worse without him.

They are parked on 14 wins and my prediction suddenly doesn't seem that far fetched. The comments I read are reflective of a team on the brink. It's not all on Bz. Players have a responsibility to take on some of the load and I'm not seeing this group do that. That said, Bz should not be a head coach in the ACC or any other league.

Devin lost his cool several times during this game, and Bz missed every opportunity to coach him through that. I remember one in particular (he got away with it). He charged into Miller and forced a bad shot, then he blatantly shoved Miller in the back before getting the rebound. Miller ended up fouling him and sending Devin to the line at which point Devin yelled, screamed like he had just done something worthwhile.

Bz should have taken him and coached him right there. Devin made a bad play, followed it up with a foul, and then when the refs bailed him out he acted like he had just slain king kong. Kid needs a mentor in the worst way. He is a very good basketball player, with loads of potential, but he has an idiot trying to lead him.

I agree; but, that is a special quality that is a result of TD's personality...a relatively fixed trait. DT needs to find a way to keep himself in check...no doubt. However; I think his passion, if skillfully crafted, could lead to a culture of no fear and winning. The problem is the sublimation of it in the right direction by a competent coach. More and more I get into this, X's and O's are less than half the job.

Devin also shoved Miller on a breakaway layup, which Miller made anyway, late in the game. To do that to anyone, much less a guy who made you his bitch all night, is a pussy move. Couple that with his postgame comments and... well it's not a good look.

He is just following the leader. I don't blame Devin a bit to be honest. He is acting just like his mentor.

A team always reflects its coach. With a better coach, Devin could learn to channel his frustration better. However, with a coach that is unwilling to take responsibility for any poor results, Devin doesn't have a good example to follow.

Back