• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Fake slide

There is no way the rules allow for faking the start of a slide. If you start to slide, you have slid, and you are down. If the defender had taken his head off or even pushed him gently 0.001 seconds after the quarterback faked a slide, he would have gotten a 15-yard penalty and possibly an ejection for targeting. That was total bullshit and typical gutless stupidity by the refs.

That really is true, there isn't even need for a rule change here. Just a point of emphasis to the refs that as soon as a QB makes any move to slide, the play is dead. Of course some will argue, "what constitutes a move to slide" and "won't that impair a QB's ability to make any kind of juke or move while they're running?" Well, if you're going to give the QB that protection, he's going to have to give up something. Otherwise once he leave the pocket he should be considered any other runner and not down until his down just like any other ball carrier.

I am still more annoyed by all the fake injuries. Need a new rule asap for that crap.

Clawson should be all over that in off season.

a) pitt is a bitch team
b) even if they had ruled him down they would've scored within 2 plays so i'm not that angry about it
c) glad the rule will get changed.

I am still more annoyed by all the fake injuries. Need a new rule asap for that crap.

Clawson should be all over that in off season.

I wish Clawson would have called it out after the game. If Narduzzi can be a smart ass about the fake slide, then Clawson should have said something about all of Pitt's "injuries". Something like he hopes that Pitt is able to get all their players healthy before the Peach Bowl and how they if they had a better strength and conditioning program maybe they wouldn't have so many players get hurt, especially on defense.

a) pitt is a bitch team
b) even if they had ruled him down they would've scored within 2 plays so i'm not that angry about it
c) glad the rule will get changed.

Agreed. And if you think about it, had Sam done the same thing, we would have been slurping on him about what a great play it was. It was a great move by Dickett.

P&D were against instituting another rule for the fake slide. :dumb:

Maybe when it happens against clem's son Packer will change his mind.

Really wish Andersen would have trucked pickett for the b.s. move.

Saw that. I think Packer was mostly like "if you're gonna make a rule change, do it for the targeting rule, not this one". They thought it was a great play and it was but I think it opens a can of worms going forward.

Opposing fans, and coaches for that matter, were not happy with Grobe's cut blocking schemes in 2006. Technically, legal but they didn't like it. They saw it as weak and dangerous.

Agreed. And if you think about it, had Sam done the same thing, we would have been slurping on him about what a great play it was. It was a great move by Dickett.

I guess, but really the refs should've blown it dead. The rule is the ball is placed where the QB "starts" his slide. How can a QB fake a slide, without starting it?

kinda surprised but I've been seeing a good bit of social media chatter about the fake slide from non-Wake affiliated folks

Need to treat injuries like a "red flag" in auto racing...no "working on the cars"

Players cannot go past the hash marks. No subs. Coaches/personnel cannot leave sidelines...only trainers and head coach tending to the player who is down.
Once the injured players reaches the sideline, then "red flag" come off...start play clock, subs, adjustments, etc.

injuries should not be allowed to be a defacto timeout. If TV has taken a timeout, then so be it.

1- If a defensive player goes down once, he has to sit out rest of series.
2- If the same player goes down twice, he's out for half
3- If same player goes down 3 times, they're out for remainder of game.

This only applies for defense, as there is very little reason for an offensive player to fake an injury. The rule seems pretty simple and non controversial. It helps limit the whole faking injury aspect of it, but it additionally is a health and safety measure. If a player goes down twice in a half, he's either faking or he doesn't need to play for rest of half. If he goes down a 3rd time, he clearly is either faking or needs to miss rest of game to avoid tearing something or further injuring whatever bs injury they have.

If the player is able to hobble off the field without stopping of time, it doesn't count as "going down".

The only player I saw on Pitt that looks legitimately injured at any time was Pickett in the 1st half and notice he did not go down and cause an injury timeout once. Reason being, he plays offense and he would have to sit out a play. The fake injury stuff is definitely bush-league and needs to stop. Unfortunately it's not the easiest thing to legislate.

Saw that. I think Packer was mostly like "if you're gonna make a rule change, do it for the targeting rule, not this one". They thought it was a great play and it was but I think it opens a can of worms going forward.

I don't know why anyone would think that is a great play. There's nothing smart or clever about it. Just a weasel play by a weasel.

You know, I watched every press conference last week by both Clawson and Narduzzi. And, at that time, I kept noticing Dave being very gracious and humble and highly complimentary of Narduzzi. I never saw anywhere close to that reciprocation from Narduzzi.

So, I just assumed I was over-analyzing things and that perhaps Narduzzi was a man of few words and that he's probably a good soul.

Fast forward to Monday? Guy is a major DICK.

First impressions are almost always right. I'm old enough that I should remember this!!

Last edited:
yeah i came away with the same impression about narduzzi from his pressers. still a good coach though so doesn’t really matter. from what i’ve gathered, seems like mendenhall and dino were the only guys clawson is actually “friends” with among acc coaches but he’s obviously super complimentary of just about everyone we play.

Last edited:
yeah i came away with the same impression from his pressers. still a good coach though so doesn’t really matter. from what i’ve gathered, seems like mendenhall and dino were the only man guys clawson is actually “friends” with among acc coaches but he’s obviously super complimentary of just about everyone we play.

Yep, and Dabo. I think Claw and Dabo like each other.

I don't know why anyone would think that is a great play. There's nothing smart or clever about it. Just a weasel play by a weasel.

Yep - there is a reason you haven't seen other QBs doing it - and it is not because he is so amazingly clever. It has been almost a gentleman's unspoken rule - QBs get protected when they slide, therefore they won't take advantage of the rule by fake sliding and running by people. Until this dickweed has to go and do just that...

Yep - there is a reason you haven't seen other QBs doing it - and it is not because he is so amazingly clever. It has been almost a gentleman's unspoken rule - QBs get protected when they slide, therefore they won't take advantage of the rule by fake sliding and running by people. Until this dickweed has to go and do just that...

PTI was against the slide. Karma will bite Pickett with a huge hit to his wet slicked back head.

Back