• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Greg Dortch out for season

Was the official diagnosis a ruptured spleen? Anyone know for certain?

it can be as small as a bruise and be treated expectantly with watching to a small tear to a completely exploded immediately life threatening from internally bleeding out situation. Obviously his was not the latter. Probably a small laceration that got bigger as he kept playing and getting hit. Probably was an open removal since traumatic and in middle of night...want to ckeck out near by organs. He should be able to start some activities and gentle conditioning in 4-6 weeks. I'm not a general surgeon but he may be allowed to play in a bowl game. Long term the biggest risk is higher risk of infection so just have to be careful and get all your vaccinations. Should not be career ending at all and he should be good to go spring and summer.

Deacfan123 - maybe add "Do it for Greg" to your thread title. Needs to catch on around the web and the team needs to know about it.

I don't think he went to hospital in the middle of the night. I saw him after the game in parking lot and talked to him and got pics with him. He said he was headed to the doctor right then from the stadium.

CRAZY injury. So glad he's OK. Couldn't care less about what it does to our offense or W-L record.

I don't think he went to hospital in the middle of the night. I saw him after the game in parking lot and talked to him and got pics with him. He said he was headed to the doctor right then from the stadium.

These are Greg's words: "To later go to the hospital that night in critical condition and Having to have surgery or risk my life being in danger .."

Don't know if he did or didn't. But I could see the scenario, Go to the doctor. Doctor wants MRI, goes to get MRI. After they get results, They advise him he needs surgery immediately. By that time, it could have been "Night". Just a guess.

Last edited:
CRAZY injury. So glad he's OK. Couldn't care less about what it does to our offense or W-L record.

Absolutely agree with everything you're saying and am so thankful for Greg and his family that he is going to be okay but I don't think Greg is thinking this way. He's laid it all on the field all season to put us in a position to make back-to-back bowls. He seems like that competitor who is as worried about his teammates finishing the job he started than just healing up and waiting for next year. #DOITFORGREG

Are those pylons secured with pins/stakes or magnets?

If hockey goals can use magnets, football pylons should be as well.

Never fails...being a Deac is like having to carry the yoke of unrealistic expectations and fragile hope when things actually go well for every season of our post-Wake lives. Love and respect any young student athlete who chooses to don the OG&B and I will never not support the Deacs, but dammit if it ain't nearly impossible to remain the slightest bit optimistic when it comes to anything WF sports related.

But enough of that selfish woe-is-us pity nonsense, so happy to hear Greg is okay and he did not suffer any major complications from the rupture. Crazy to think that he could be THAT effective with even a partial tear / rupture or whatever. He wasn't exactly running straight lines. Kid is a-freakin'-mazing. Most fun I've had watching any one Deac since Jamie Deese, and those teams were awful. Luckily, this team is well coached, resilient and never stops playing for each other. I think they can rise above and win at least two more. Just don't get too conservative on O without your stud. Plenty of good players to count on and Wolford deserves to go out with guns ablazin'!

Let's Go Deacs!! #DOITFORGREG #DOITFOREACHOTHER

Are those pylons secured with pins/stakes or magnets?

If hockey goals can use magnets, football pylons should be as well.

The pylons don't have magnets or pins. The base is heavier, like a dense foam or maybe filled with sand. The tops of the pylons are very spongy.

I don't know how Greg got injured or exactly what play(s) resulted in the injury. However, I did see him appear to be in pain after his dive-for-the-pylon TD.

Below are two of my photos of the play. It doesn't look like a play that would result in an injury, but watching him after the play, it was clear that he was in pain. He landed hard on his stomach and lay there for a moment. He rolled over and started to get up but then he knelt down on his hands and knees. He looked like he might have had the wind knocked out of him, though now we know that something else was seriously wrong.

After a minute or two he got up and went to the sidelines. After that, I noticed that he wasn't in the lineup on every series, but I thought it was because the coaches were rotating Hines in to give Greg a breather. When he was in the lineup he still played great, which is amazing considering what we know now. I join everyone else in wishing him a speedy and full recovery. I think he is the most exciting player to play for Wake since Michael Campanaro.

Greg%20Dortch%20dives%20for%20pylon%20TD-L.jpg

Greg%20Dortch%20dives%20for%20pylon%20TD%2002-L.jpg

On a different note, the Louisville cheerleaders need to back away from the buffet.....

The pylons don't have magnets or pins. The base is heavier, like a dense foam or maybe filled with sand. The tops of the pylons are very spongy.

If they did a magnet, it would even safer.

On Twitter his mother said that it was metal from the pylon that caused the injury. Unsure of whether or not they are supposed to have metal, or if that is an accurate diagnosis, but that's from somebody with presumably intimate knowledge of the injury.

Yeah, I think they're probably sand filled and his abdominal area land right on that part it appears. So the force of him just hitting the ground, combined with the extra force of landing on the bottom of the pylon was certainly enough to cause a ruptured spleen or some kind of internal abdominal injury. One thing is for sure, it was a freak thing, he could probably do that 100 times and not land exactly like that again.

The main thing by far is the kid is okay, it just really sucks as a fan we have to wait until next year to see him play again, because I've enjoyed watching him so much this year. I fear this will have the kind of impact on our offense as losing Camp did that year. Hopefully Tabari will really step up and maybe Cortez Lewis will come off MIA status. Washington seems to have really improved and is becoming a weapon for us and I still think Wade can make plays when given the opportunity.

On Twitter his mother said that it was metal from the pylon that caused the injury. Unsure of whether or not they are supposed to have metal, or if that is an accurate diagnosis, but that's from somebody with presumably intimate knowledge of the injury.

If those things have any metal in them, that's crazy. At most they should have a sand filled base, but not any metal.

Back