• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Guess the date/time of Manning’s firing/resignation

Sorry if this has already been posted, but one possibility is that WF is waiting to see if they can land a specific target (Matta) or two (Oats) before pulling the plug on DM, rather than fire Manning and just seeing who is the best that WF can get. Makes some sense, but the corollary to this theory is that if WF does not land their target(s), the school is considering allowing Manning to stay an extra year, when his buy-out will be less and Currie will be in control of the athletic department.

Realize that this scenario allows for a doomsday scenario (Manning returning for year 6), but this seems like the most logical explanation for a delay, other than WF has already to decided to keep the coaching staff in tact.

Sorry if this has already been posted, but one possibility is that WF is waiting to see if they can land a specific target (Matta) or two (Oats) before pulling the plug on DM, rather than fire Manning and just seeing who is the best that WF can get. Makes some sense, but the corollary to this theory is that if WF does not land their target(s), the school is considering allowing Manning to stay an extra year, when his buy-out will be less and Currie will be in control of the athletic department.

Realize that this scenario allows for a doomsday scenario (Manning returning for year 6), but this seems like the most logical explanation for a delay, other than WF already to decided to keep the coaching staff in tact.

the [name redacted] of 2019

tenor.gif

giphy.gif

Realize that this scenario allows for a doomsday scenario (Manning returning for year 6), but this seems like the most logical explanation for a delay, other than WF has already to decided to keep the coaching staff in tact.

This makes some sense. Remain calm! All is well!!

nope, with any investment, you don't hold your known losers, you sell them and move on to a different and expected better solution.

this would only make sense to me if the only option of firing Manning was working out a deal with Texas for Shaka. There is not benefit of not firing Manning at this point unless that is the case.

Soooo it appears that today's lunch didn't turn out to be Danny's last meal? Or maybe it's just a very long lunch being that he's such a large human and all. Have faith people!

I sure am seeing a lot of "the sky is falling" here today.

I mean, I get it that many were convinced that today was Manning's release day. When was that ever corroborated?

Not given to the specifics of his contract (none of us are, are?), if he is indeed making an exit (being forced out), there are certain to be negotiations and legalities at the fore. Depending on when these were undertaken, there may yet be myriad considerations/maneuverings being made by both parties. The season just ended a week ago.

The lack of a pre-supposed news conference today really means little, per se. Seems more wishful thinking ("1:30 Tuesday") than something remotely verifiable.

I still have a hard time believing the buyout is the ridiculous amount clung to by some. It's just bad business, plain and simple. Since when have we ever known the university to make such a bungle? Why did they start with Manning, having no real justification from a 'production' standpoint to do so? Makes absolutely no sense. Makes great Internet, though.

Then, maybe I'm self-fulfilling on the wishful thinking thing re: Manning's release (but I don't really think so): I think it's time for a change, because it makes sense to make the change. More than it does to keep him. Finances and buyouts be damned!

BB King tells us to 'never make your move too soon'. I'm going to go with that as a major component in all this. The time has not yet arrived. I don't know when it's coming, but I still think it is.

I mean, I get it that many were convinced that today was Manning's release day. When was that ever corroborated?

An exact date/time was given by a poster. It was then corroborated by Creamy, who was on point regarding the Wellman retirement, even though he expected it to be announced later this spring rather than leaked the way that it was.

I sure am seeing a lot of "the sky is falling" here today.

Not given to the specifics of his contract (none of us are, are?), if he is indeed making an exit (being forced out), there are certain to be negotiations and legalities at the fore. Depending on when these were undertaken, there may yet be myriad considerations/maneuverings being made by both parties. The season just ended a week ago.

The lack of a pre-supposed news conference today really means little, per se. Seems more wishful thinking ("1:30 Tuesday") than something remotely verifiable.

I still have a hard time believing the buyout is the ridiculous amount clung to by some. It's just bad business, plain and simple. Since when have we ever known the university to make such a bungle? Why did they start with Manning, having no real justification from a 'production' standpoint to do so? Makes absolutely no sense. Makes great Internet, though.

Then, maybe I'm self-fulfilling on the wishful thinking thing re: Manning's release (but I don't really think so): I think it's time for a change, because it makes sense to make the change. More than it does to keep him. Finances and buyouts be damned!

BB King tells us to 'never make your move too soon'. I'm going to go with that as a major component in all this. The time has not yet arrived. I don't know when it's coming, but I still think it is.

What has made sense in the basketball program over the last decade. Why would logic prevail now?

Well,, Wes Miller and UNC-G are the #1 seed in the NIT this year. (ie: 1st one out of the NCAA. )

Back