• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

KP Report -- UVA Cavaliers -- 9 pm Tuesday

Final score was as expected. Congrats PHDeac. It was no chance for the Deacs after three minutes and how bad can it get after 8:15 with the Deacs down 25-3. The closest the Deacs got was 13 at halftime. I would not try to find any reason to be encouraged by the Deacon performance after the first nine minutes of the game. Cavs put it on cruise control. Tough to keep an edge after the early beating they administered.

Sarr shot well facing the basket. If DM knew how to draw up plays he would be advised use Sarr in this capacity for the balance of the season. Alas, I doubt this happens.

I enjoyed the game. Virginia knows how to play defense that dictates the entire game. It's rare to see.

Wanna know just how bad things are ?

I was following the play-by-play on ESPN and at one point in the 2nd half this appeared....

WF jump shot good Melo Eggleston

It's been corrected this morning but I kid you not:D

Just read through the thread. A few thoughts.

Nice prediction ph.

We all saw that this game was over in the first few minutes. What I did not expect was that uva would be the team to quit. They went up 25-3 and it was like they just shut it down and cruised to the win. Had they cared it could have been a 40 pts loss easily. Did feel like our guys kept trying. Impressive considering the feeling desperation that must have been in their guts ("not this again").

This team neverlooks crisp/smooth/natural. Passes, motion, when to shoot, "set plays." Its almost like no one is coaching fundamentals. like they get no reps during practice for anything resembling basketball. "Circle up guys, we're gonna work on the Brandon for three play. Ready? Make something happen. Go."

By the way, why would the refs call any fouls for wake when danny keeps saying (over and over) that a big part or our game plan is getting calls. Even the announcers were talking about it and first string those guys are not.

Athletic department is turning on Manning, so that’s a good sign I guess.

1) I have nothing to do with the AD, and 2) I thought Manning should have been let go after the Houston Baptist loss and have written that on this site several times.

Nice prediction ph.

We all saw that this game was over in the first few minutes. What I did not expect was that uva would be the team to quit. They went up 25-3 and it was like they just shut it down and cruised to the win. Had they cared it could have been a 40 pts loss easily. Did feel like our guys kept trying. Impressive considering the feeling desperation that must have been in their guts ("not this again").

This team neverlooks crisp/smooth/natural. Passes, motion, when to shoot, "set plays." Its almost like no one is coaching fundamentals. like they get no reps during practice for anything resembling basketball. "Circle up guys, we're gonna work on the Brandon for three play. Ready? Make something happen. Go."

By the way, why would the refs call any fouls for wake when danny keeps saying (over and over) that a big part or our game plan is getting calls. Even the announcers were talking about it and first string those guys are not.

Why give max effort when 50% is enough? Save your arrows for teams with a real coach.

What we all knew , but was glaringly obvious versus UVA , was that this may be the weakest Wake team in the post than I can ever remember. (Even with a healthy Smart). That is exacerbated by an inability of our guards to feed the ball into the post quickly and accurately. We all hoped that Sarr, after flashes last year, would develop into that strong post man we need, but even if he bulked up more he is just not oriented that way, and likely never will be.

Nice prediction ph.

Agree that UVA went on cruise control and lost offensive aggression and defensive intensity after they went up 20+ in the first 10:00. That said, Chill, Sarr and Wright had pretty decent games after that point. And agree that we just don't look smooth offensively, though part of that is going up against a good defensive team.

But the big takeaway I had is it was just plain sad looking at the faces of 2 great college icons in Danny and Randolph as they entered and exited the arena as they were going through the motions. I sit next to the visitors entrance and was happy to inform name redacted that he was the worst coach in the history of college ball as he came and left. But looking at Danny with that glazed and vacant expression I just observed and felt sad for him and the state of our program. God I hate Wellman.

If you take out that 25-3 run to start, we're only down 1...

Game turned out to be a perfect middle.

Opened at UVA -24, and closed at UVA -21.5. Game fell at 23. So, if you were savvy enough to take the Deacs when it opened and UVA when it closed, you won twice (thanks to Danny's T).

That said, UVA definitely took their foot off the accelerator after the first 10 minutes. Game was looking like it was headed to a 91-36 score when UVA was motivated.

So I think we all agree that the refs cost us that game last night by not calling more fouls on Virginia before the first TV timeout, and the second TV timeout.

Back