• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Last Play To Codi

According to PackPride, it's now up to 5 steps before he shot the ball.

If we have to frame by frame it, there is no way that is going to be called in live action. Multiple travels happen every game that go uncalled. If State fans want to gripe about that, I am sure we can find other calls to gripe about. The double foul that was called when Devin was pulled to the floor being one of them.

And that has stopped him... when?.

True. Although if the officials had been wrong and Wake Forest had gotten the worst of it, he would have been over here immediately to tell us all how the officials were right.

If Bz. was not our coach, this would not a subject of discussion...at least not on this board.

Whatever else it was, it was 2 points and Wake wins. Good for the team and good for CMM, he got embarrassed earlier in the game.

Really? You don't think a last-second, controversial game-winner against a heated in-state rival would be discussed on a message board of diehards if the coach were a different person?

Shenanigans.

I think my anti-[Redacted] credentials are rock-solid. With that being said, I'll put this out there: who gives a fuck? We won. We may end up being the tallest midget in North Carolina!

Really? You don't think a last-second, controversial game-winner against a heated in-state rival would be discussed on a message board of diehards if the coach were a different person?

Shenanigans.

I think it would have pages of discussion on the State board (perhaps it does); but no I don't think it would have 6 pages of discussion on a WF board.

I think it would have pages of discussion on the State board (perhaps it does); but no I don't think it would have 6 pages of discussion on a WF board.

The thread is only this long because I won't let it go.

The refs really don't like calling travels for State. This one is LOL bad.

Actually this is exactly it, and it absolutely matters. He's either dribbling or he's not dribbling. How he's touching the ball is what determines that - NOT whether it's touching his hand or not. Clearly it's not touching both hands, so the question is did it come to rest due to palming or carrying. This is why you should watch the play in real time, and just watch the ball. It doesn't rest until he grabs it with both hands and makes a solid euro step move.

You could question whether it was a carry during the crossover to his right hand, but that would be a serious stretch.

If you watch his feet after the last time the ball hits the ground it looks like a blatant travel, especially in slow motion.

If you watch the ball in real time it looks borderline, because from the moment he collects the ball for a shot he only takes 2 steps - he's just mid-dribble when he does that. The step where he's moving the ball from his left hand to his right is still a dribble as long as he's not palming the ball or turning it over. Once both hands are on the ball he just takes two steps.

As long as you don't palm the ball or turn it over, you could take 12 steps between dribbles.

You never see something that finicky called during a final possession - and definitely not when there's also a foul called. That was a great play and Codi deserves all the credit in the world. Also love seeing him take only 1 three pointer. Took it hard at the bucket all night and didn't give up.

Another good example of "steps" not beginning until the player collects his dribble:

Why do people keep referring to the NBA concerning this. The NBA basically updated the rulebook to coincide with how they had been enforcing the rules for a long time. It was recognized as being a change from basketball rules of any level anywhere. There is nothing in the NCAA rule book or the international rules that I have found that says anything about gathering the ball. That is an NBA thing. DC is right that you can run forever between dribbles, but you can't be in contact with the ball. That is specifically expressed in the FIBA rules, but I admit that the NCAA rules are poorly worded. However, you all are referring to an NBA-specific rule that was accepted as being a significantly different interpretation than any other league/level.

This clip is approaching Zapruder-level scrutiny

If you look carefully at the video you see the ball change direction in midair, hit the state player and ricochet back into Codi's hand thereby negating the travel. I also think there may be a second traveler just visible behind some tall fans in the crowd.

So full disclosure -- I was working last night and fired up ESPN3 just in time for this final play. Watching it live, my first thought when I heard the whistle was "Shit, that's a travel." I was mildly and pleasantly surprised when I saw the baseline ref signal And-1.

Looking back on it and having seen the replay a few times, my only thoughts are (i) if it's not a travel, it sure as hell looked like one watching it live; and (ii) if the situation were reversed, and Tyler Lewis made the identical move to beat us on the final play, I'd be pretty ticked.

Regardless, will take the call and win. Sorta funny that [Redacted] has racked up multiple wins over Gott.

DC is right that you can run forever between dribbles, but you can't be in contact with the ball. That is specifically expressed in the FIBA rules, but I admit that the NCAA rules are poorly worded. However, you all are referring to an NBA-specific rule that was accepted as being a significantly different interpretation than any other league/level.

Being in contact with the ball is more about carrying rules than traveling, I believe. And he definitely didn't carry the ball.

Back