• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Least funny long-running sitcom

In the last 30 years, what was the least funny, long-running sitcom?

• Home Improvement

Votes: 11 8.9%
  • Will and Grace

• Family Matters

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • Mad About You

Votes: 27 21.8%
  • According to Jim

Votes: 56 45.2%
  • other

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
it's by no means the least funny show ever (nor even a sitcom), and imo, it's the funniest show of all time (b/c i only consider half the show), BUT The Simpsons has been NOT funny for 11 years and counting now.

it's truly amazing, the show that defined me growing up, was my most important influence behind my parents, and no argument one of the greatest tv shows of all time, has now been a shadow of itself or even worse for longer than some of the longest and best shows ever. what is it now 22 years? that's 1-2 intro years, 8 of the most brilliant seasons ever, slowly faded around season 10-11, and god knows now. (movie was good). i don't even come close to watching but SOMEONE must still... so unfunny and forced.

back to the original thread: i'll vote for Friends b/c i never thought it was funny and am a dude.

also, man up people who think seinfeld is unfunny (in the tags)

I'm sure the neg rep pussies will be out on this one.

IT WAS ME.

Seinfeld gets talked about like it was the best, most clever show ever made. It certainly doesnt come anywhere close to that.

Its not good or funny. I do realize that it likely appeals to the whitest, most boring, bland, cookie cutter part of the population though.

Its not as bad as some of the ones mentioned, but it is nowhere near funny.

You realize that is the pilot, correct?

517EXY66G7L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I hate Mad About You. I don't think Helen Hunt is attactive either. Having said that, I can't see a dude like Paul Reiser being able to pull that kind of tail. So I find the show's premise unbelievable to begin with.

Same thing with "According to Jim," except Courtney Thorne Smith is actually good looking.

I forgot about abfab.... so fucking awful. Perfect combo of british humor that doesn't translate and unfunny women trying too hard.

To me - shows like According to Jim, Two and a Half Men, King of Queens, etc. aren't trying to be anything more than a shitty, mindless sitcom. I hate the shows that try to be more but I find watchable.

Dented probably hates Seinfeld because he doesn't get the jokes. I met Dented once and he's pretty dumb.

if it were about a different city, it wouldn't make any sense because that kind of narcissism, crudeness, and general lifestyle doesn't exist anywhere else (except maybe the ex-new yorkers in florida and LA, i.e., jerry's parents and curb).

so basically you said that if it were a show that made no sense it wouldn't have made it five years. like a show about surfers in st. louis.

No. What I'm saying is it would be the same lame show set in a different, less-hyped city. If "the city" is the star of the show, you don't have a show, you have a city.

Again, it was the Derek Jeter of sitcoms.

baywatch would have never made it 5 years if set in minneapolis. what an average show

The forced absurdity of your analogy proves my point: Pam Anderson's boobs look good everywhere and her rack is world famous. Seinfeld is only funny to City-dwellers and posers. No offense.

i mean, it's not "the city" that's funny in seinfeld. you're missing the point.

i mean, it's not "the city" that's funny in seinfeld. you're missing the point.

I'm sure I missed it, since I find nothing amusing about implausible characters and stilted, cliche situations.

CHEERS was brilliant b/c there was a little bit of everyone that wants to be Sam Malone but lives with the reality that they relate more to Norm and Frazier (or even Cliff at times).

ETA: I suppose I should allow that some people think they're the brilliant, edgy, genuis, balding, anonymous comic who always dated supermodels on the show (of course!), but in reality they're just a crazy, angry closet racist like Kramer.

I should also add that you're free to like it if you want to, but how does that translate to bizaree negrep against people who don't also pay homage to the Emperor's clothes? There's no room for "live and let live" in tastes in comedy?

Last edited:
Dented probably hates Seinfeld because he doesn't get the jokes. I met Dented once and he's pretty dumb.

Masturbation jokes. :thumbsup: Genius. Who could have thought of that?

seinfeld has a ton of cliched situations? wtf? i feel like that's calling Goddard's use of jump cuts "cliched"

Threads like these are helpful, because people express opinions that make it possible for me to completely disregard any future opinion they ever express about pop culture.

I hate Mad About You. I don't think Helen Hunt is attactive either. Having said that, I can't see a dude like Paul Reiser being able to pull that kind of tail. So I find the show's premise unbelievable to begin with.

Same thing with "According to Jim," except Courtney Thorne Smith is actually good looking.

She's definitely attractive up close...

I'm sure I missed it, since I find nothing amusing about implausible characters and stilted, cliche situations.

CHEERS was brilliant b/c there was a little bit of everyone that wants to be Sam Malone but lives with the reality that they relate more to Norm and Frazier (or even Cliff at times).

ETA: I suppose I should allow that some people think they're the brilliant, edgy, genuis, balding, anonymous comic who always dated supermodels on the show (of course!), but in reality they're just a crazy, angry closet racist like Kramer.

I should also add that you're free to like it if you want to, but how does that translate to bizaree negrep against people who don't also pay homage to the Emperor's clothes? There's no room for "live and let live" in tastes in comedy?

You're ridiculous. You talk about implausible characters and cliched situations, and then you slobber all over Cheers? Nearly every episode of Cheers was based on some ridiculous cliche of bar life and silly characters that became caricatures of themselves.

And I think Cheers was great. But so was Seinfeld.

Back