• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Liberty @ WF - Saturday 9/17 5 pm - ACCN

At least we can check Mako off the list as a candidate for this poster's secret identity

In 2008 we beat Baylor, Old Miss and FSU to start the season, and the hype was on for Clemson at home in week 5. I recall a ton of hype about what our ranking would be leading in to the game, size of crowd, which network/what time, etc. Only problem was that Navy had the nerve to wedge themselves into our schedule the week before, and I'd say a pretty solid chance that our losing to them was in part b/c we (and I mean a collective "we": coaches, players, fans, AD's office) were guilty of looking ahead towards the big prize on the horizon. I'm thinking Clawson will be reminding his players about APP State, Marshall and Ga. Southern all this week (and oh how I wish he could add Georgia State to his litany of "reasons to be wary of overlooking anyone on our schedule").
Yep

Skinner had 4 INTs and a fumble, I think it’s safe to say he was looking ahead to Clemson

As long as Hartman doesn’t do that, we should be alright

Not a huge coincidence that Grobes downfall and Clawsons difficult start coincided with us having a ridiculous OOC schedule + Duke being good. There was no breathing room on our schedule for like 4 seasons. We had a series with Baylor for the RG3 era, Stanford for the Andrew Luck era, Vandy for the James Franklin era, and Navy when Niamutalolo had them winning 9 games every year.

I certainly think teams can foolishly look ahead, but I never like when that’s automatically ascribed as the sole reason for a surprising loss. It might be because they lost focus, but unless they said something publicly indicating that, it could be any number of other factors.

Not a huge coincidence that Grobes downfall and Clawsons difficult start coincided with us having a ridiculous OOC schedule + Duke being good. There was no breathing room on our schedule for like 4 seasons. We had a series with Baylor for the RG3 era, Stanford for the Andrew Luck era, Vandy for the James Franklin era, and Navy when Niamutalolo had them winning 9 games every year.
Well, we beat Baylor and RGIII in 2008 and Stanford and Luck in 2009. They both got revenge in the next season.

I think that first Baylor game was the opening game of the season and RGIII came in after Kirby Freeman was pulled or injured.

I think that first Baylor game was the opening game of the season and RGIII came in after Kirby Freeman was pulled or injured.

Nice ninja edit.

grobes downfall was due to fall off in talent and level of play.

I responded to the comment "we had a series with Baylor for the RG3 era...". We were 1-1 against both Baylor and Stanford in the Griffin/Luck eras.

The final score in the Baylor game was 41-13. Griffin was 11-19 for 125 yards and had a passer rating of 113.2 in relief of Freeman. Riley Skinner was 27-36 for 220 yards, 3 TD's, and a 153.8 passer rating. We kicked their butts.

Fuck Liberty U. Why the fuck do we validate this trash "university" by playing them in football?

My understanding is that we didn't have the funds to buy out this series, but will not be scheduling them in the future.
Figures that Hatch would be cool scheduling bootleg Baptist wannabe Notre Dame.

Wake distances itself from the Southern Baptist church but then opts to play the most Southern Baptist of schools.

Back