• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Marcus Smart shoves fan

I'm not surprised Texas Tech would support this guy even if he said something racist. He's probably one of their bigger donors to the athletic program.

SportsCenter ‏@SportsCenter 14m
Cowboys Radio Network analyst says he heard Marcus Smart tell his coaches that Texas Tech fan called Smart the N-word. (via @tulsaworld)
Let's see. He is a chubby, white, red-neck guy who has nothing better to do than drive to every Texas Tech game that is played and did I mention that he's from TEXAS? What are the odds that he didn't say something that was at the very least inflammatory?

I'm not excusing Marcus. He shouldn't have shoved him. But haven't we all met opposing "fans" that we would like to shove? (Most South Carolina fans fit that bill for me. :squint:)

Last edited:
sheesh

Smart falsely accusing the guy of using the n-bomb to justify the shove to his coaches would shed a completely different light on the situation for me if I'm an NBA GM.

That changes the question of whether or not he's a lottery pick to the question of whether or not he's employable.

He said the right things in the presser but you better believe people are going to keep digging here.

The video on the first page of this thread, where Orr makes gestures and animal (monkey) faces to the Texas A&M player, would suggest he is capable of a racial slur. But, whether or not it was a racial slur is neither here nor there, Orr behaved in a disgusting manner, towards a college aged kid who isn't paid to put up with that crap (or paid at all), and who is a person, something the predominantly fat, middle aged, white donors, who are blinded by "school spirit," seem to forget, simply because that guy is wearing a different colored shirt from the team he likes.

vGD2mx.gif

God look at that picture. And people think we get decent student turnouts now. It is embarrassing.

Take everyone out of that picture except the donks and you have our current student section.

The video on the first page of this thread, where Orr makes gestures and animal (monkey) faces to the Texas A&M player, would suggest he is capable of a racial slur. But, whether or not it was a racial slur is neither here nor there, Orr behaved in a disgusting manner, towards a college aged kid who isn't paid to put up with that crap (or paid at all), and who is a person, something the predominantly fat, middle aged, white donors, who are blinded by "school spirit," seem to forget, simply because that guy is wearing a different colored shirt from the team he likes.

JJ Redick spent 4 years hearing dozens of people many nights, not just one "fat, middle aged donor", say every vile and disgusting thing imaginable thrown at him. Even worse, his mom had to quit going to away games b/c of the number of idiots who wanted to associate their peckers with evey orrifice on her body. I know JJ and his family, and admired their ability to ignore most of it. I don't recall much if any empathy for their situation on this board or elsewhere.
So not much sympathy for either guy in this instance from me: regardless of what Orr said he deserved to have his ass beat, just as Smart deserved to be tossed for a few games minimum.

JJ Redick spent 4 years hearing dozens of people many nights, not just one "fat, middle aged donor", say every vile and disgusting thing imaginable thrown at him. Even worse, his mom had to quit going to away games b/c of the number of idiots who wanted to associate their peckers with evey orrifice on her body. I know JJ and his family, and admired their ability to ignore most of it. I don't recall much if any empathy for their situation on this board or elsewhere.
So not much sympathy for either guy in this instance from me: regardless of what Orr said he deserved to have his ass beat, just as Smart deserved to be tossed for a few games minimum.

No arguments, Smart did deserve to be suspended for a few games, it was a mistake, he's a college kid, he'll learn from this, as all college students learn from mistakes. On Orr's part, he's giving some false lip-service trying to cover his ass because someone had the balls to finally stand up to him, an now he's been exposed as, at best a douche, at worst a racist. The whole idea of a grown man traveling around with "his" team, basically living his life around the actions of 18-22 year old kids, is quite sad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So Smart gets suspended for three games and the fan has volunteered not to come to any more home games this year. Sad all the way around. :rulz:

No arguments, Smart did deserve to be suspended for a few games, it was a mistake, he's a college kid, he'll learn from this, as all college students learn from mistakes. On Orr's part, he's giving some false lip-service trying to cover his ass because someone had the balls to finally stand up to him, an now he's been exposed as, at best a douche, at worst a racist. The whole idea of a grown man traveling around with "his" team, basically living his life around the actions of 18-22 year old kids, is quite sad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just think it's funny cause it's Texas Tech BASKETBALL. lol.

sheesh

Smart falsely accusing the guy of using the n-bomb to justify the shove to his coaches would shed a completely different light on the situation for me if I'm an NBA GM.

That changes the question of whether or not he's a lottery pick to the question of whether or not he's employable.

He said the right things in the presser but you better believe people are going to keep digging here.

Yep. Can't play the race card to get you out of trouble, when there is video evidence to the contrary. Sorry Marcus.

Say I'm playing the race card or whatever, but something just isnt adding up. Smart probably hears comments as bad or worse than "piece of crap" dozens of times a game on the road. Why snap now?

And why is the super fan apologizing for, and suspending himself for, saying something as innocuous as "piece of crap?" He's probably said things as bad or worse than that dozens of times a game. Don't all super fans dream of the game when they scream "you suck" to someone on the opposing team and the player loses it and goes after the super fan leading to the home team winning the game?

Maybe there is history between the two. Maybe more will come out. It just seems like something is missing from this story.

For the record, Smart should have kept his cool no matter what was said. Crazy fans say stuff just to get under your skin. If you let them get under your skin, they win. I remember playing at UVa and the fans yelling all sorts of racial slurs at coach Yoshita during warm ups. He laughed it off and told us to keep our heads in the game.

Say I'm playing the race card or whatever, but something just isnt adding up. Smart probably hears comments as bad or worse than "piece of crap" dozens of times a game on the road. Why snap now?

And why is the super fan apologizing for, and suspending himself for, saying something as innocuous as "piece of crap?" He's probably said things as bad or worse than that dozens of times a game. Don't all super fans dream of the game when they scream "you suck" to someone on the opposing team and the player loses it and goes after the super fan leading to the home team winning the game?

Maybe there is history between the two. Maybe more will come out. It just seems like something is missing from this story.

For the record, Smart should have kept his cool no matter what was said. Crazy fans say stuff just to get under your skin. If you let them get under your skin, they win. I remember playing at UVa and the fans yelling all sorts of racial slurs at coach Yoshita during warm ups. He laughed it off and told us to keep our heads in the game.

No further need to post on the subject. Magic killed it.

Smart just made a play that sealed the game for the other team. It didn't happen at a random moment in the middle of the 2nd half.

Smart just made a play that sealed the game for the other team. It didn't happen at a random moment in the middle of the 2nd half.

Exactly. Fists fly in pick up games in the heat of the moment over nothing, especially when a dude is salty at losing. Not much to explain about Smart losing it for a split second right after they lost the game for sure. And no surprise Orr is embarrassed at being in a national story about taunting a college basketball player. There is nothing odd going on.

Orr had a moment of clarity and realized this was a way to opt out of seeing shitty Texas Tech basketball

Exactly. Fists fly in pick up games in the heat of the moment over nothing, especially when a dude is salty at losing. Not much to explain about Smart losing it for a split second right after they lost the game for sure. And no surprise Orr is embarrassed at being in a national story about taunting a college basketball player. There is nothing odd going on.
Great post

Sent from my C6606 using Tapatalk

sheesh

This is laughable. Short of committing a serious felony or losing an arm or a leg there is not a whole lot Smart could do from now until the draft to keep him out of the lottery or make him unemployable.

No it doesn't. He clearly said something to Smart to get his attention, then he said more things as Smart approached him, and when he shoved him he was mid-sentence.

He probably said "piece of crap" at some point. But you can see Smart immediately call it racist when he's being pulled away and racist again a few seconds later. I don't believe for a second he'd put "I told him to go back to Africa" in his bullshit apology, nor would he forgo the rest of the games this year for just calling a player a "piece of crap."

I'm with DC on this.

And Gaudino is right - that video proves jack crap. There is no audio outside of the isolated comment, which is hard to believe in a hotly contested game in which the home team is seconds away from upsetting a ranked team and the best player on that team delivers a hard foul and pushes a fan. Watch the highlights

Back