• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Marriage

If anyone out there is actually taking a dowry seriously in 2013, you need to go see a doctor.

I would take one very seriously if it were an option. GIMME DAT DOWRY.

If anyone out there is actually taking a dowry seriously in 2013, you need to go see a doctor.

I don't think anyone really calls it a dowry any more, but if the bride's family is paying for the wedding, that's pretty much a dowry.

ALSO without marriage, we wouldn't have this classic jam

Evolutionary biology is mental masturbation.

Jk. Link?

I know many primates mate for life, but I'd argue that's from a lack of evolutionary pressure. If our survival instinct really kicked in, banging would be impulse #1, I'd imagine.

The reason we don't multiply like rabbits is because it is so difficult to bring a human baby to term, give birth, and raise for the 7-10 years it takes to get the baby to anything like an ability to survive on its own. Think about how easy it is for, say, your cat to pop out seven kittens and 6 months later they can catch birds by themselves, and compare that to the energy required to bring one human child to survivability. It's a huge difference and that difference drove the social structures that evolved among humans.

I thought these were interesting thoughts on the engagement ring:

http://www.rolereboot.org/sex-and-r...ent-rings-why-have-we-attached-so-much-meanin

She said some good things but then she said this:

"But here’s the other thing: Sometimes, your engagement is really just about the ring. Mine was.
My ring isn’t a diamond, and it cost far less than the $5,200 the average American couple spends on an engagement ring. But for my fiancé, who had been underemployed for 18 months prior to our engagement, it was a big expense. It was a project, a way to prove to himself that he was ready for marriage, that he could get things together, save his pennies, make some important decisions and ultimately make me happy. It was a way for me to feel like he was really ready for marriage, too, and to learn to let go and let him be in control of our lives once in a while."

...look at this sweet little boy I found who will save his allowance and buy me a pretty ring to prove he loves me!

$5,200 seems like a lot of money when you consider the average household income in America

She said some good things but then she said this:

"But here’s the other thing: Sometimes, your engagement is really just about the ring. Mine was.
My ring isn’t a diamond, and it cost far less than the $5,200 the average American couple spends on an engagement ring. But for my fiancé, who had been underemployed for 18 months prior to our engagement, it was a big expense. It was a project, a way to prove to himself that he was ready for marriage, that he could get things together, save his pennies, make some important decisions and ultimately make me happy. It was a way for me to feel like he was really ready for marriage, too, and to learn to let go and let him be in control of our lives once in a while."

...look at this sweet little boy I found who will save his allowance and buy me a pretty ring to prove he loves me!

vomiting2.jpg

she sounds like a controlling self-centered psycho bitch. That dude's life is gonna suck.

I don't think anyone really calls it a dowry any more, but if the bride's family is paying for the wedding, that's pretty much a dowry.

yeah, that's false. The wedding is a party that the bride's mother throws for herself and her daughter, and the groom is lucky to be invited.

That's totally it!111~

Sarcasm aside, that's certainly closer to the truth than considering the wedding to be a dowry gift to the husband. I mean is there any disagreement that the modern wedding is mainly for the bride?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Back