• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Married peeps: If you got to redo your wedding day....

set up travel bus for people. every hour or so...our location was a little to far with people partying.

Would have stayed sober the night before. Was very hungover at the altar and wife was pissed. Probably would have had a smaller wedding, with more young people than the old distant friends of my parents and my distant older cousins I felt obligated to invite. Didn't give a shit about a lot of them and haven't seen many since. Maybe a cool antique car to depart in instead of the standard white town car limo.

Other than that things went well. We even managed to consummate that night, then started the Sunday morning tradition before dressing and heading for the airport.

I would've eloped and used all that money to increase the down payment on our house (or accelerate planned renovations).

Probably would have done a whole lot of things differently

Did the whole traditional church wedding, normal reception - probably would have done something more reflective of our personality if we had to do it over again. But we were pretty young and 1000 miles away from the closest relative and did things mostly on "this is what weddings look like, let's do that."

I was also in a seminary that required you to sign a "no drinking" policy and while I didn't abide by that strictly, we did have a dry wedding (another thing we would have done differently). Because the reception was in the hotel where most of our out of town friends had rooms, they divided themselves into team alpha and team bravo and took shifts heading to the room to drink and not look conspicuous. We didn't care, but some of them felt bad about it until my wife's dad showed up on one of the teams. During the reception we felt bad for my wife's little brother because we thought her dad was making him take presents to the car during the reception. Turns out, he had found himself on both teams being tortured by DuncanDeac all night long. We probably had the drunkest dry wedding in history.

edited:

We probably would have done the band situation a little differently too. We had a great, fun band lined up that learned some songs for us, but the brother of the guitarist died 3 days before the wedding and they cancelled. hey gave us a choice of people they could help line up: a DJ or a 70s classic rock cover band. We opted for the DJ, which was a mistake. Dude literally showed up in a tuxedo t-shirt. Also, took a smoke break during the cake cutting - leaving the same song on repeat (it played at least 3 times before my best man hacked into the DJs computer to change the song). Last song of the evening before we left - We're not Gonna Take It

Last edited:
I'm going to be more adamant that I really don't care enough about flowers to spend over a thousand dollars on them.

I would've eloped and used all that money to increase the down payment on our house (or accelerate planned renovations).

I did this for my first marriage. Second time around I actually wanted a party with family and friends so we did like 50 peeps.

My second wedding cost a total of about $1000: dollars, dresses, flowers, photographers, dinner included. Whereas, the cake alone at my first wedding cost $800. The wedding industry is ridiculous.

I agree with the videographer suggestion. The whole day went by so damn fast that I would have liked the ability to watch it again on anniversaries, etc.

Other than that, I probably would have allocated less money to aesthetic stuff like flowers and decorations and more to an upgraded band. Our band was good but not great. People partied way more at the bar than on the floor.

The AC in the church was broken in 95 degree June, so maybe get that fixed.

Not too much else though; the music, reception venue, food and photography were all great. And having no videography was the right call for us. We had a family member set up a camcorder to record the ceremony in case we ever wanted to watch it later. Never have watched it once in the years since.

should have shown up at least an hour earlier to the courthouse so I wouldnt need to sweat whether they would have time to get to us that day

Our wedding was pretty awesome; only thing that was stressful was trying to get the pictures done before the ceremony. I would have put someone in charge of that and scheduled all of the shots. In the confusion we didn't get one of both families together with me and my wife, and that's my only regret.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here's another one. We had a very casual lunch buffet reception. The food and the set up were great. The only problem was we barely got to eat. The meal and the cake were awesome. But we didn't pack any for ourselves to eat later. I still think of that meal, but I can't find the menu in any of our wedding records. We saved the top of the cake and put it in the freezer to eat on our first anniversary, but our refrigerator broke a few months into our marriage. Our 9th anniversary was last week and we still think about that cake.

If I did it again I would have spent the extra money and bought suits for my groomsman (and me). Rentals just never look good and they show up in almost 100% of the wedding pictures.

My brothers packed us to go boxes in the limo along with cocktails.

Our dumbass bartender who was in charge of cleanup put our top layer of cake into a generic brown corrugated box that had previously contained decorations and so it sat out all night and then we tossed it.

would have not had a sit-down meal. in laws wanted a buffet, but didn't think we'd have room (we definitely did). instead they wanted like a 4-course meal. we didn't need separate soup and cheese courses in addition to the salad and main. took up way too much time that could have been spent dancing.

We probably would have done the band situation a little differently too. We had a great, fun band lined up that learned some songs for us, but the brother of the guitarist died 3 days before the wedding and they cancelled. hey gave us a choice of people they could help line up: a DJ or a 70s classic rock cover band. We opted for the DJ, which was a mistake. Dude literally showed up in a tuxedo t-shirt. Also, took a smoke break during the cake cutting - leaving the same song on repeat (it played at least 3 times before my best man hacked into the DJs computer to change the song). Last song of the evening before we left - We're not Gonna Take It

This is hilarious. Right up there with your board name origin story.

Back