• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Married peeps: If you got to redo your wedding day....

I'm not married but I was pretty involved in helping my family since she was having it in Charleston and I lived there at the time. The wedding was gorgeous but I think we'd change the reception venue. It was at the Old Exchange Building, which was an amazing venue but no one can start setting up stuff until 4pm. The event rental company totally screwed up, the band got a flat tire & didn't show, and it was a rush to get it all ready on time. Thankfully my sister had an amazing wedding coordinator who knew every event person in Charleston and got a great DJ in less than an hour's time and got the event rental guys to fix their mistakes. But my mom and sister never got to see the decorated space before people showed up.

So I guess, I'll avoid a reception venue that has such a limited time window. Made a stressful day more stressful than it needed to be.

The flowers thing I just don't get. Flowers for your anniversary? Sure. Flowers for a birthday? Certainly. Flowers for a wedding? Why? If they're just for decoration, you can be so much more creative with alternatives for a fraction of the cost. I think we had three plants that my mother-in-law got for the front of the ceremony area and that was it (other than the flowers the girls carried and boutineers).

I've been married 16 years and have never given one thought to how I would redo my wedding day.

Our wedding was perfect. We got married in Salzburg and then traveled through Austria, Switzerland, and northern Italy for 10 days. Only thing I would do differently would be to make sure the hotel we stayed at in Salzburg wasn't closed for renovation when we went back for our twentieth anniversary.

Invite less people. Her mom invited the whole damn town of Mocksville, NC. There were people there my wife didn't even know and I certainly didn't. Should've reined that in hard. Would have made the reception more fun with less lame old people. Good argument for a destination wedding, keeps the riff-raff out.

Speaking of rental suits: last wedding I attended, the bride's brother was an active duty Marine drill sergeant and was best man for some reason. Guy was about 6'4", 250, built like Luke Kuechly. The rental place got his measurements right - but they ordered the suit in slim fit, and nobody figured out the error until he showed up on the day of the wedding from Camp LeJeune. That suit looked like it was painted on, he looked like the GI Joe action figure of a best man. Could not even button the top two buttons on the vest because of his massive pecs, nor could he bend over, and he could not get the suit coat on at all. It was made even funnier by the fact that the husband is a little skinny dude, who was dwarfed by this superhero standing right beside him. He had to take (peel) the suit off and change before the reception because it was too hard to breathe.

Invite less people. Her mom invited the whole damn town of Mocksville, NC. There were people there my wife didn't even know and I certainly didn't. Should've reined that in hard. Would have made the reception more fun with less lame old people. Good argument for a destination wedding, keeps the riff-raff out.

Speaking of rental suits: last wedding I attended, the bride's brother was an active duty Marine drill sergeant and was best man for some reason. Guy was about 6'4", 250, built like Luke Kuechly. The rental place got his measurements right - but they ordered the suit in slim fit, and nobody figured out the error until he showed up on the day of the wedding from Camp LeJeune. That suit looked like it was painted on, he looked like the GI Joe action figure of a best man. Could not even button the top two buttons on the vest because of his massive pecs, nor could he bend over, and he could not get the suit coat on at all. It was made even funnier by the fact that the husband is a little skinny dude, who was dwarfed by this superhero standing right beside him. He had to take (peel) the suit off and change before the reception because it was too hard to breathe.
I'd probably have just asked the guy to wear his dress uniform if the suit looked that ridiculous. But I'm also not a female so I might not have a similar set of priorities and expectations.

I would have been firmer about letting my sister wear her Coast Guard dress uniform. She is gay and wears pants on her uniform and has short hair. My MIL wanted all bridesmaids to wear their dresses, which my sister agreed to, but changed to her uniform at the reception after pictures. MIL didn't want to offend the old Southern snowflakes. I didn't really realize this was all taking place, but my sister is a trooper and went along with it, though was definitely uncomfortable.

It's probably the last time she's worn a dress.

Everything was pretty much perfect. Sometimes I wish we had videoed it, but not really. The only thing I regret is not getting more of my groom's cake before it was devoured. Shit was the best cake I've ever tasted.

Everything was pretty much perfect. Sometimes I wish we had videoed it, but not really. The only thing I regret is not getting more of my groom's cake before it was devoured. Shit was the best cake I've ever tasted.

haha yep. I had a Deacon for mine and the piece I was served was a fondant fist and I was like uhh can I get some real cake? and I just got little slivers as that was all they had.

Make it not as hot outside?

Also, our DJ was a fill-in guy because the guy we hired had surgery days before, I would have not tipped the fill in guy because he was terrible. Also, maybe pick better food? It was ok, but the vegetarian option was lame (basically more sides) and it wasn't super good. I would do super good food if I had it to do again.

All-in-all though, I had a blast, our wedding was very "us," and I feel good about all of it 9 years later.

Our wedding was pretty awesome. If I did it again I'd probably stay later, but we cut out to consummate before midnight.

I probably would have put up a little more of a fight over the prima nocta thing. Really humiliating being beta cucked like that.

we were carrying on a bit in the groomsmen suite and i forgot to send the ushers to do their jobs (hand out fans and tissues i guess?) until like five minutes before the ceremony starts

don't really regret it, we all got to party a little bit more

All good for me.... we had perfect 75 degree not a cloud in the sky weather in the NC Mountains in mid November. Awesome open bar reception with prime rib dinner. :)

oh, there is one other thing. my wife really, really wanted me to sing a song to/for her at the reception but I just didn't make it happen. I think i should have just manned up and figured it out because it's the only thing she still brings up

Good call I forgot about this. Wife got me a groom's cake with flavors that pretty much only I would like (chocolate cake with like raspberry jelly filling) but I got basically none. Same story with the wedding cake, we had an incredible cake with like three different flavor layers but wife and I got barely any. And the leftovers were killed quickly the next day by all the little kid cousins before anyone could save some for us. Little fuckers.

Oh yeah we got barely anything to eat either, too busy. Pro tip for folks getting married: take time to eat and enjoy the food you spent so much effort picking out.

I never thought 9 years into my marriage we would be pining for the food from our reception. I'm thinking about having a 10th anniversary party primarily to get those same caterers.

Here's another one. We had a very casual lunch buffet reception. The food and the set up were great. The only problem was we barely got to eat. The meal and the cake were awesome. But we didn't pack any for ourselves to eat later. I still think of that meal, but I can't find the menu in any of our wedding records. We saved the top of the cake and put it in the freezer to eat on our first anniversary, but our refrigerator broke a few months into our marriage. Our 9th anniversary was last week and we still think about that cake.

I never thought 9 years into my marriage we would be pining for the food from our reception. I'm thinking about having a 10th anniversary party primarily to get those same caterers.

Damn you really liked that food huh

Back