• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

MBB Game 17: @ NC State -- Tuesday 7 pm ACCN

Unless we get two of three from @UNC/@Duke/Duke, which is unlikely, must-win if we want an NCAA berth.

Please explain Michigan State's NET ranking to me. They have one blowout win against #9 Baylor (88-66 - H) and lost to James Madison (H), Duke (N), Arizona (N), Wisconsin (H), Nebraska (A), Northwestern (A), Illinois (A). It is one thing to get credit for playing good teams, but don't you actually need to win some of these games?

23rd hardest schedule in the country. Losses are all to top 100 teams (only two of them by double digits), every win they have is by double digits, including 4 win over top 100 teams. 9-7-1 ATS in Vegas, so on balance they've exceeded what they were "supposed" to do on a night-in and night-out basis. Their NET actually lags behind where they stand in most metrics, likely because they have lost a little on the team value index boost for not getting a ton of wins and piling up some losses.

Michigan State is probably a good example of a team that will be good in the NET, but not viewed as favorably by the committee because of their Q1 record come Selection Sunday.

Please explain Michigan State's NET ranking to me. They have one blowout win against #9 Baylor (88-66 - H) and lost to James Madison (H), Duke (N), Arizona (N), Wisconsin (H), Nebraska (A), Northwestern (A), Illinois (A). It is one thing to get credit for playing good teams, but don't you actually need to win some of these games?
yeah but Buddy Izzo just scored his first basket so good for him/them

Unless we get two of three from @UNC/@Duke/Duke, which is unlikely, must-win if we want an NCAA berth.
This is the type of post that just doesn't make sense to me logically. We are not required to go 2-2 against @UNC /@ Duke/@NCSU/Duke in order to make the tournament. In fact, we could lose all 4 of those games and still likely make the tournament if we went 10-1 or 11-0 in the other ACC games.

Games like today are critically important in order to make the NCAAs, yes. But similar opportunities exist on our schedule including @Pitt and @UVA, and we don't have to win every one of those games to have a chance. Losing today's just increases the importance of winning the next one.

This is the type of post that just doesn't make sense to me logically. We are not required to go 2-2 against @UNC /@ Duke/@NCSU/Duke in order to make the tournament. In fact, we could lose all 4 of those games and still likely make the tournament if we went 10-1 or 11-0 in the other ACC games.

Games like today are critically important in order to make the NCAAs, yes. But similar opportunities exist on our schedule including @Pitt and @UVA, and we don't have to win every one of those games to have a chance. Losing today's just increases the importance of winning the next one.
I get that. I'm just shooting the shit, not trying to analyze this scientifically. I'll leave that to the usual suspects. Just seems like unless we spring a couple of big upsets somewhere we really need this game against a team in pretty direct competition with us for a top-quarter finish in the league.

Duke will be a Q1 home opportunity guaranteed. And yeah Clemson really the only other option for that. Major issue the ACC keeps having.

Another is that Notre Dame was absolutely horrible to start the year and is now the 6th best team in the ACC since Christmas. That shit can't happen for our bubble teams. Gotta take care of business against GT, Louisville, ND - especially at home.
FSU similar situation

i think if we want to make the tournament it would be good to win tonight's game

I understand the inclination, but I think we need to stop declaring that each game is a "must-win" in terms of our NCAAT chances. We've done that for probably every ACC game so far.

Yes every game is important to our resume, including tonight. But we aren't dead in the water if we lose tonight.
“must win” is pretty vague - to be specific, the tournament selection criteria doesn’t really allow teams to “turn it around” at the end of the year anymore. If Wake isn’t a tournament level team in January then we very likely won’t be in March either. So consider ACC win #5 as meaningful as win #14 and then decide for yourself if it’s a “must win”.

These games are “must win” for the blue bloods as well, the only difference is those teams fanbases are confident they will win enough of them.

Tonight's game is must win only if WF wants to finish in 1st in the regular season. Otherwise, no January game is must win for anything. That said, winning tonight may be helpful down the road, but either with a win or loss, there will be lots of work to do after tonight's game.

Back