• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

MBB Game 25: @UVA - Saturday Noon - ESPN2

Look at their home ACC record.
And Wake is the only Acc team undefeated at home despite having an inferior arena..…if only had a semi ok road record they would be in the mix for the top….

Do we all equate this to an absolute must win? I think the road gets damn near impossible without it.

Do we all equate this to an absolute must win? I think the road gets damn near impossible without it.
Must win, I wouldn't quite put it there. Still some Q1's on the table, but for every one that drops, the next becomes more vital. But would you really, really like to have this one, for sure. And I'm of the belief that this is one of the ones that's relatively out there for the taking.

Pretty close, but it's not absolute. Depending upon what other teams around the bubble do and what we're able to do in the conference tournament, we might be able to absorb another loss in the regular season, but it probably shouldn't be one of those home games. The committee looks first at "who did you beat?" and "where did you beat them". Other than home wins over Florida and UVA (which just about every other team considered for the tournament can match), there's nothing really impressive in our profile win-wise. Beat UVA and Duke and we've got a little latitude to drop one we shouldn't. Go 1-1 and every other game becomes a must-win. Q1 or not, winning at VaTech isn't going to impress anyone. Lose to both UVA and Duke and we'll probably need to run the table in DC.

Would be curious to see the Venn diagram of the posters who claimed the season was over back in November to those now saying @ UVA is a must win

5-2 to finish is the mark where I think we’ll feel pretty good pretty much no matter the combination. Tomorrow is our lowest chance to win of those 7.
If all we have going forward is a home win against Clemson and nothing against UVA and Duke, we should not be feeling good absent a win against the top 3 in the conference tourney. Looking at the other profiles around us, that would be last 4 in/last 4 out territory.

If all we have going forward is a home win against Clemson and nothing against UVA and Duke, we should not be feeling good absent a win against the top 3 in the conference tourney. Looking at the other profiles around us, that would be last 4 in/last 4 out territory.
Well, nothing except for the 19 point beat down against UVA.

A win tomorrow is nice. Wake makes the tournament if they go 5-2 in some order because that means we beat at least two of Duke (Q1), @ UVA (Q1), @VT (Q1), Clemson (Q1).

A win tomorrow is nice. Wake makes the tournament if they go 5-2 in some order because that means we beat at least two of Duke (Q1), @ UVA (Q1), @VT (Q1), Clemson (Q1).
If this is what we end up with, we're going to be bitching about being in the NIT unless the rest of the bubble collapses.

Are we really sure VT and Clemson are gonna be Q1? I'm glad we don't think UVA is a must win, I just find the chances to boost our resume are getting very slim. @VT would be great to give us a Q1 win but won't impress a soul. If this isn't a must then we absolutely have to beat one of UVA and Duke. Or pick up 2 impressive wins in DC which is always tough.

If this is what we end up with, we're going to be bitching about being in the NIT unless the rest of the bubble collapses.
Would be nice to also have Florida and Virginia at home be Q1. I think I would feel good ending the regular season with 4 Q1s. That is the only missing piece to the resume. 2 Q1s would be concerning. Of course this is all dependent on what is happening elsewhere around the bubble.

At the end of the day the only thing holding us back are signature wins. We need a couple. Our metrics are unreal, record will be good if we go any combo of 5-2. But we need some sig wins like we need oxygen.

@VT would be the best I guess in that scenario. Unless we neutral beat UNC/Duke.

Back