• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

MBB Game 25: @UVA - Saturday Noon - ESPN2

Some of you have the optimism of a third party presidential candidate. I blame you for having to take the creepy Duke dad out to dinner!
Duke dad double winner... his team gets the W and he convinces AWakeGirl that taking him on a date was her idea...

Until our guys, especilly guards, learn how to drive hard to the basket, it will hinder us from beating really good D teams. They need to drive hard, pump fake (a lost art by our entire team, including bigs), keep their head up we very rarely do this, and jump into the D when not set or off the ground. Driving with your head down forces you to have no option but to try to take a shot.

If you watch Cam on what I'd term "long drives"(lots of dribbling), he keeps his head up more. But you'll notice he's more myopically looking at his defender to know where to beat him, verses looking for his teammates. It's somewhat a team problem in that we tend to stand around more than break to the basket.

Last edited:
We are undefeated at home, so until we lose a home game the panic button hasn't been hit.

What sucks is that I really thought this time had a chance to make some noise, but Cam has gone from dynamic offensive player to completely inept.

Ha. I think it is injury related. He was making contorted shots with English before the wrist injury and now layups are iffy.

We are undefeated at home, so until we lose a home game the panic button hasn't been hit.

What sucks is that I really thought this time had a chance to make some noise, but Cam has gone from dynamic offensive player to completely inept.

Had all the makings of a PFred or Damari 3 pt shot for the win.... and then there was the Cam show. NOT! :(

Yeah, there was not a plan. It was obvious to all of us. Infuriating indeed!

this picture infuriates me
It should. It’s ridiculous. He should see zero minutes for the foreseeable future.
The plan was to have Hunter (a very good player) take the ball up, not Cam (who has sucked for a month). Cam just decided he didn’t want to do that.

Did Forbes address it after the game? I don’t know that to be true, but what each one wanted.

Cam has been injured, but he is the glue to this team! Forbes knows that, which is why he gets one of the most minutes in ACC.

what makes it so much worse is there was a plan and it was for Hunter to bring it up. Cam just went against script and did his own terrible thing

It should. It’s ridiculous. He should see zero minutes for the foreseeable future.

The plan was to have Hunter (a very good player) take the ball up, not Cam (who has sucked for a month). Cam just decided he didn’t want to do that.

So, Forbes should decide that Cam doesn't start.

Another take-away from being at that game was just how much better Cam is on defense than anyone else we have. That’s the real problem with the last play. Becuase we absolutely have to keep him on the floor, but he can’t do shit like that.

We were watching how many screens he had to get through on every play - the minute someone switched or came in for him suddenly all the screens worked. Sallis is more athletic but just doesn’t get around them laterally like Cam does. And Boopie is another (small) step down from that.

Not letting one of the best defensive teams in the conference set up at home after the free throw was 100% the right call there. Well, until we started fighting over the inbounds. It was like everything lined up perfectly to steal one and Cam just went berserker.
You only need to foul them at the end. You don’t need Cam to defend.

That was a bonehead play by Cam at the end of the game. It wasn't the reason for the loss. Wake lost because of terrible offensive play for the previous 39+ minutes. Very little ball movement and even less player movement. Stand around on offense then throw up a shot before the the shot clock runs out. Hildreth, Carr and Miller were lousy. Sallis was tentative but Beekman had something to do with that. Reid scored when he recieved the ball but the team decided to eliminate his possessions. Virginia forced 12 turnovers and blocked 13 shots. That is a key to limiting a team to 47 points.

The Deacs are 3-9 away from home. The wins are against Towson, Georgia Tech and Boston College, certainly not a murderers row. The losses were often the result of poor second half play on offense and defense. Winning at VPI and Notre Dame won't impress the committee. It's a hole I doubt the selectors will overlook. Win out and finish 14-6 in conference and receive the double bye maybe...with a win or two in the tourney.

Back