• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

MBB Game 27: Duke @ LJVM - Saturday 2 pm - ESPN

I also noticed at one point they were yelling “let’s go Wake” akin to the Duke cheer. I was hoping it was taunting and we’re not actually adopting that shit.
Someone showed me the “cheer sheet” with the dirt on all the Duke players. Some of it was way out of bounds.

I also noticed at one point they were yelling “let’s go Wake” akin to the Duke cheer. I was hoping it was taunting and we’re not actually adopting that shit.
Let's go [school name / nickname/ team name]!

Has been around for a long time and used by many professional, college and high school teams. It works best with a one syllable word at the end.
Let's go Wake !
and
Let's go Deacs!

Have been staples of Wake cheering for decades.

Someone showed me the “cheer sheet” with the dirt on all the Duke players. Some of it was way out of bounds.
I mean what are we talking about about here? Duke's student section chanted "orphan" and "where's your parents?" at Scott Williams. "JR can't read" at JR Reid despite him having better grades and SATs than Laettner and Hurley. "How's your grandma?" at Tyler Lewis like the day after she died.

Although I guess I don't want to find out where the line is on hurting a Duke fan's fefes since they'll probably call the cops based on their histrionics these past few days.

If Wellman hadn’t razed our basketball program and salted the earth afterwards, we would not be wandering the wilderness of historical competitiveness. If we hadn’t spent the last decade plus in purgatory, we may yet be a perennial top 25 team- in which case our students would know how to clap, how not to emulate duke, and not feel a victory over a lesser program merits a court storming.

This controversy lays squarely at the feet of Ronald Wellman.

Speaking of which, DR please come home. Enjoy the wins with us, please.
Two amazing things about this whole game and even aftermath.

(1) Wake basketball fans still have a pulse and still exist beyond 2,000 people. After 20 years in the wilderness, that was actually really cool to see.

(2) Folks are talking about Wake. It makes us part of the conversation, even if a small part, that just has not happened outside our small group.

As we have seen throughout decades of college basketball, events like this one usually lead to either a really hot run or a season ender. Hopefully our players are so pissed like so many here and use this to get super hot and make a real run in the tournament. I hope we stay a 11, 10 seed or get all the way to a 7. We really don't want Purdue, UCONN, or Houston in round 2. There seems to be a real drop off after those teams.

Let's go [school name / nickname/ team name]!

Has been around for a long time and used by many professional, college and high school teams. It works best with a one syllable word at the end.
Let's go Wake !
and
Let's go Deacs!

Have been staples of Wake cheering for decades.
In the early 2000s, we never used this cheer. Strictly a Duke/Cameron thing. We did the Wake- Forest and our own Go Deacs. Never the Let’s Go. It’s very Cameron coded to me and I doubt I’m the only one.

IIRC deacon joy was the song the band played after a field goal (as opposed to fight song after a touchdown) so yeah, depending on the success or lack thereof from the fb team that song might as well have been the second fight song.

Back