• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

MBB Game 8: Rutgers at WF - Wednesday 6 pm ACCN

I swear if he could stop getting blocked 3 times a game he'd be shooting like 80% on the season

As a frosh, Hildreth got blocked a ton in the paint and we were all giving him shit about how he was too small/slow/weak to finish inside.
As a soph, he still got swatted a lot, but seemed to be better about identifying when he could get his shot off. He also had that crazy 360ish shot from the foul line in the ACC tourney that was a difference maker.
This year, there are still some instances where he forces things, but I'll take those because it also leads to a number of positive outcomes with a bit of flair (off hand bounce pass to Reid last night, wrap around one-hand pass to Carr vs. Florida for a dunk, and a number of one handed push shots through contact).

He is who he is. And he'll keep getting better. Still needs to work on his outside shot, but it is better. And he'll get stronger with another year, as well.

For the NIT game a few years ago they didn’t even sell upper level tickets, and every lower bowl ticket was $15. Thats what we should be doing for nonconference games.

That’s why I can’t justify buying season tickets. Why pay so much when most of the home games you can buy the cheapest ticket and seat wherever you want.
Same! Most any non-conference game I can go on stub hub, get a cheap ticket and sit wherever.

For the NIT game a few years ago they didn’t even sell upper level tickets, and every lower bowl ticket was $15. Thats what we should be doing for nonconference games.

That’s why I can’t justify buying season tickets. Why pay so much when most of the home games you can buy the cheapest ticket and seat wherever you want.
Back when the LJVM first opened for some of the November/December games when there was a small crowd, they would actually invite people from the upper level to move downstairs.

Couple of observations and haven't read through the whole thread:

I think we are going to really have to divvy up minutes better. Especially once Damari is back. Would like to see a deep dive on this
Disappointing attendance for a mid-week non-conf game against a historically irreevant program with 2 of the top recruits in the country next year. Why aren't we talking about this?

As a frosh, Hildreth got blocked a ton in the paint and we were all giving him shit about how he was too small/slow/weak to finish inside.
As a soph, he still got swatted a lot, but seemed to be better about identifying when he could get his shot off. He also had that crazy 360ish shot from the foul line in the ACC tourney that was a difference maker.
This year, there are still some instances where he forces things, but I'll take those because it also leads to a number of positive outcomes with a bit of flair (off hand bounce pass to Reid last night, wrap around one-hand pass to Carr vs. Florida for a dunk, and a number of one handed push shots through contact).

He is who he is. And he'll keep getting better. Still needs to work on his outside shot, but it is better. And he'll get stronger with another year, as well.
Oh for sure, I agree with all of this. I love how Cam's so aggressive going to the hole and isn't afraid to get blocked, and how it usually results in a couple of highlight finishes every game. I was just trying to say how whenever he doesn't get blocked at the rim he scores basically every single time.

Cam is maybe the most well rounded player that we have ever had at Wake. big fan

well, going back to the 80s when i became a fan

Cam's speed on the drive looks quicker this season. I don't know if its just better footwork, anticipation or if he actually picked up some acceleration somehow. But its noticeable.

Story from last night.

(it's premium, but any support is appreciated for breaking down Efton Reid III's impact, Wake's defensive "kills," and where things went right against Rutgers compared to what went wrong last year.)

He just needs to try to not do too much, but I thought the last couple of games, he’s done a good job of that.

Miller is also way better out of the gate than I would have expected. I didn't think he'd be close to an Appleby-type production. Yet, here we are. And he's maybe a bit more under control?

Miller is also way better out of the gate than I would have expected. I didn't think he'd be close to an Appleby-type production. Yet, here we are. And he's maybe a bit more under control?
He’s definitely more physical than Ty and doesn’t need as much volume. Ty would sometimes get beat up in the paint but Boopie is going right at big men and is a more efficient scorer it seems.

Couple of observations and haven't read through the whole thread:

I think we are going to really have to divvy up minutes better. Especially once Damari is back. Would like to see a deep dive on this
Disappointing attendance for a mid-week non-conf game against a historically irreevant program with 2 of the top recruits in the country next year. Why aren't we talking about this?

Get back under your bridge.

49ffe5df-573b-4f84-96b5-00c83c0e9114_screenshot.jpg

I watched game on TV and even though crowd was sparse, it definitely got loud at times. Just imagine noise with it full. I really liked the Charleston Arena from that tournament. Wish we had something like that on campus.

Are you done claiming that Marsh is a good player and is just limited by the offensive system?

I’ve always been hopeful, just have been frustrated by how bad Marsh is and how it limited our team. So yea, I'll be done "slamming" Marsh assuming he doesn't play anymore this year.
Lol. What the absolute fuck are you talking about? I’ve been more critical of Marsh than most. Find a post where I’ve ever hinted at Marsh being a good player and that he’s limited by our offensive system.

ETA: I’m cheering for Marsh and we can still use him in certain situations, but Reid has been the missing piece for anyone paying attention.

Not much more to be said on Efton that hasn't been said. One thing I can tell is that everyone on the team seems to like him, he talks with them all, just seems like a good guy to be around, and that matters.

We are such a different team with him, it completely reinforces our post play. We don't need him taking the hook shots much etc, but just clean up the glass, get some easy buckets, alter shots and the ceiling of the team is so much higher.
Marsh is effectively done I think. He will play a small role, in foul trouble circumstances etc, but he shouldn't take many if any minutes from Carr/Reid/MMM/Keller (Can't beleive I'm saying that). But honestly Keller looked so much more composed last night. I think he felt more relaxed in a smaller role and doesn't feel like he has to anchor our D anymore. Put that under something to watch going forward.

Guard wise, we are so lucky. Boopie and Hunter are such good additions. They can both go on shooting runs at any time, both play great D. Boopie makes plays out of nowhere, he is so fun to watch. Cam is cam, he's a dog. Gonna make plays every night, compete with anyone, those three are such a good foundation. Now the big ? is Damari, if he comes back close to last year, watch out. This is not a bubble team. If parker can add a couple threes a game too, man we are going to be so hard to defend. I am really excited again after watching them play last night, need to just cruise through Christmas now, big victories, get fully healthy and come to fucking play in 2024. Take all doubt away, this team can do it.
Agree strongly with the italicized.

I think I disagree with the bold. Even though he's frustrating, Marsh is our best rebounder outside of Efton on pure numbers and was last year as well. Our performance with him on the court far surpassed our performance with him off last year. And we saw what happened in Charleston without a Center to speak of. It won't be every game, but there will be games where his presence is important to spell Reid.

I think we are getting dangerously close to the point where MMM is unplayable. We've been outscored with him on the floor every game since Elon (CSU aside). He was our only player in the minus against Florida (-6 in 11 point win), and again against Rutgers (-7 in 19 point win). Maybe Reid changes this, but nothing we've tried with MMM has worked -- and I don't think Keller works for big minutes against teams with size.

In particular, I don't think the Keller/MMM lineup will work (two non-threats to score, while not making it up nearly enough on defense and on the boards -- that lineup let Rutgers back in last night). MMM/Carr doesn't rebound enough as we saw in Charleston. Maybe we can split Reid/Carr sitting out and try MMM with Efton.

To be fair, this could just be a reflection of Carr - we can't take him off the floor as he's carried us. We've been even or outscored with him on the bench in every game. +26 last night. +17 against Florida. +12 against Georgia. LSU outscored us by 4 in his 1:53 on the bench.

Last edited:

I think I disagree with the bold. Even though he's frustrating, Marsh is our best rebounder outside of Efton on pure numbers and was last year as well. Our performance with him on the court far surpassed our performance with him off last year. And we saw what happened in Charleston without a Center to speak of. It won't be every game, but there will be games where his presence is important to spell Reid.

I think we are getting dangerously close to the point where MMM is unplayable. We've been outscored with him on the floor every game since Elon (CSU aside). He was our only player in the minus against Florida (-6 in 11 point win), and again against Rutgers (-7 in 19 point win). Maybe Reid changes this, but nothing we've tried with MMM has worked -- and I don't think Keller works for big minutes against teams with size.

In particular, I don't think the Keller/MMM lineup will work (two non-threats to score, while not making it up nearly enough on defense and on the boards -- that lineup let Rutgers back in last night). MMM/Carr doesn't rebound enough as we saw in Charleston. Maybe we can split Reid/Carr sitting out and try MMM with Efton.

To be fair, this could just be a reflection of Carr - we can't take him off the floor as he's carried us. We've been even or outscored with him on the bench in every game and he's carried us. +26 last night. +17 against Florida. +12 against Georgia . LSU outscored us by 4 in his 1:53 on the bench.

I think your last point (about MMM +/- being more related to taking Carr off the floor) is important. I wouldn't call MMM unplayable... He's a 3/4 that would be best suited to playing the 4 with Reid on the floor. I suspect we'll see some of that over the next few games and that'll tell us more about MMM.

But yeah, with Reid back and Monsanto on the way, that's gonna mean less minutes for MMM, Parker, and Keller/Marsh. Unfortunate for their development, but I'd rather just have the best players on the floor as much as possible.

Our guy hasn’t missed many days in the gym for damn sure.

To be fair, this could just be a reflection of Carr - we can't take him off the floor as he's carried us. We've been even or outscored with him on the bench in every game. +26 last night. +17 against Florida. +12 against Georgia. LSU outscored us by 4 in his 1:53 on the bench.
Yeah I don't think you're wrong about MMM. But I agree with other posts it is just as much about Carr being off the floor. We need Efton to get breaks, and Marsh will have to be part of that, but a small part hopefully. But if MMM/Keller/Carr any combo of those can't rebound at a good enough level, Marsh will have to fill in.

Damari may help there as well as he can rebound from the wing pretty well.

Back