• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Michelle Obama gets into a scrap with Republicans

Why not just send them to truck driving school?

Not going to play?

How many different threads would you like me to recite my position in favor of public schools with incentive pay and robust school choice on before you understand my position? If I didn't know better, I'd think you were a little, what's the word.......#dense?

I'm looking forward to this:

Aly-Raisman-Gymnastics-Floor-Routine.gif

Best not teach any history in those schools. Black kids might learn that their ancestors were enslaved for several hundred years, savagely repressed under a southern kleptocracy for another hundred years, and systematically discriminated against in all walks of life by their own government in housing and lending policies for the last 75. That would interfere with their ability to avoid feeling like victims, which we all know is the #1 factor leading to success for minorities.

How many different threads would you like me to recite my position in favor of public schools with incentive pay and robust school choice on before you understand my position? If I didn't know better, I'd think you were a little, what's the word.......#dense?

You are the mayor of #DenCity after all.

But aren't they trying to shove school down the parents' throats?!?!?

If you give the parents school choice, you will make the system work for the appropriate stakeholders (instead of the way it currently operates). That's the point.

But why should we have public education at all?

See every comment in this thread that I have made about the importance of hard work and personal responsibility. Pay special attention to the ones where I advocated the importance of attending school. Then stop posting, thanks.

See every comment in this thread that I have made about the importance of hard work and personal responsibility. Pay special attention to the ones where I advocated the importance of attending school. Then stop posting, thanks.

I have no doubt that you think it's important to attend school. Still not answering my question: Why should we have public education?

alright so are healthy school lunches good or bad?

Hey now. jhmd agrees with Michelle Obama. He's just arguing about it for fun.

jhmd, "school choice" is a farce. Choice is limited for those who need it the most. Those who need it the least often don't need to make a choice.

Hey now. jhmd agrees with Michelle Obama. He's just arguing about it for fun.

jhmd, "school choice" is a farce. Choice is limited for those who need it the most. Those who need it the least often don't need to make a choice.

Quite the populist message, Ph....

"The system will tell you that your failing school is good enough for your kids. Your job is not to question the system. The system knows best."

Schools wouldn't fail if parents couldn't bail.

I have no doubt that you think it's important to attend school. Still not answering my question: Why should we have public education?

Because if we don't have a way for people to empower themselves through time-honored path of education people will end up dependent on the government with no marketable skills and a future of subsistence existence. My party views that as a bad result.

Do you realize the things you're for on this thread (healthy meals, teaching kids how to grow their own foods, etc) are completely against the Republican stance on education?

Because if we don't have a way for people to empower themselves through time-honored path of education people will end up dependent on the government with no marketable skills and a future of subsistence existence. My party views that as a bad result.

Well, shouldn't they also develop healthy eating habits at school so that 1) they'll have healthy eating habits and not cost the rest of us a bunch of money due to their Type II Diabetes and 2) they'll be able to learn better with a good healthy meal in them and therefore be better able to attain an education so they won't end up dependent on the government with no marketable skills and a future of subsistence existence?

And, for that matter, why is it the government's job to tax everyone so we can fulfill that time-honored path?

Best not teach any history in those schools. Black kids might learn that their ancestors were enslaved for several hundred years, savagely repressed under a southern kleptocracy for another hundred years, and systematically discriminated against in all walks of life by their own government in housing and lending policies for the last 75. That would interfere with their ability to avoid feeling like victims, which we all know is the #1 factor leading to success for minorities.

no no, you can teach them that, as long as you let them know the laws have been changed so its all good now, that's just stuff that happened in the past it doesn't matter now. Its all good now, don't worry about that stuff that's old stuff that happened before, not now, it doesn't affect anything thats happening now and its all equal now so just stop worrying. If we talk about that old stuff too much it makes people weak and victimizes them so there you go you know about it so just you know we don't have to dwell on that because its all over now and if I give it credence you know it means I see your race and its best if I just be all color neutral and race neutral so as not to discriminate against you or really against white people too because that happens when what happened in the past is talked about too much mmkay

Do you realize the things you're for on this thread (healthy meals, teaching kids how to grow their own foods, etc) are completely against the Republican stance on education?

I do. Do you realize that Republicans aren't the monolithic figures you think you're always going to argue against? I like good ideas, even ones "we" didn't think of. Most of my views on the environment won't push me to the front of the line either. I can deal with that.

Back