• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Midterm election predictions

Who will win Congress?

• Dems retain House & Senate

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • Dems win House / Pubs win Senate

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • Pubs win House / Dems win Senate

Votes: 22 40.0%
  • Pubs win House & Senate

Votes: 29 52.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I do think that the polls this time around will be as inaccurate as we've seen in a while, but as pointed out above, that's by design from the GOP.

So what do you think that means? Dem candidates are going to do much better than GOP polling indicates? I'm not sure I follow...

Yes, I think that polls overall are overstating the GOP support and Dems will do better than those projections show. The big question is whether or not it is enough to keep the Senate blue.

So lets say it all comes to down to 4 states, PA, GA, NV, AZ. My guess is the Dems go 2 and 2, winning AZ and PA.

(I was gonna add OH and NC, but I think those are both pretty bleak)

Well gas is too damn expensive Ph, so I guess I have to take that risk and pull the GOP lever.

If it was only gas, you'd have a point. It's gas, food, utilities, housing costs, looking at retirement accounts that are 20% down on the year, etc. Just because many of us think Democrats can solve these issues better doesn't mean they are trivial to many voters. People aren't idiots for being concerned about their monthly expenses going up significantly.

People are definitely embarrassed by Walker given the lack of signs that usually are proudly displayed by republicans around here. That means absolutely nothing though and those same people will definitely vote for him.

Walker is the litmus test for tribalism in politics.

If it was only gas, you'd have a point. It's gas, food, utilities, housing costs, looking at retirement accounts that are 20% down on the year, etc. Just because many of us think Democrats can solve these issues better doesn't mean they are trivial to many voters. People aren't idiots for being concerned about their monthly expenses going up significantly.

they are if they think the other party can waive a magic wand

Sure, those are legitimate concerns, and I do feel them. I'm not trivializing how we are being impacted, I am trivializing the fact that people think the GOP can fix these issues.

Also, what would you assign percentage-wise the blame to Democrats for the issues you listed due to policy they enacted?

People are also idiots where it’s a pretty predictable cycle where whatever party is in power loses power in the midterms because anything wrong in your life you blame the people in charge. The party of personal responsibility sure does a good job of convincing people it’s others faults.

Sure, those are legitimate concerns, and I do feel them. I'm not trivializing how we are being impacted, I am trivializing the fact that people think the GOP can fix these issues.

Also, what would you assign percentage-wise the blame to Democrats for the issues you listed?

And that they think Biden caused these issues.

I think it is less about thinking Biden caused these issues and more about him initially denying they existed and then downplaying their significance.

Agree with Iron Eagle... It is pretty simple. The party in power usually loses power in the midterms. And I think that is particularly true when you have a shitty president (Trump, Biden).

Also, even if you think the GOP has an idea on how to handle these problems, does anybody really think that they will do anything the next two years other than try to impeach Biden and make a mockery of hearings/bills just to prove to their constituents that they are "holding the Democrats accountable"?

I'm not a big Biden fan but I think he's been generally an average president. He's knocked off a few items he campaigned on. To group him in the "shitty president" broad group with Donald seems odd to me.

I think most people would be fine with just average chugging along politics, the way things were for last few decades. One party now is out for absolute power while enacting a bunch of extreme shit that the majority of citizens don’t want, makes election a bigger deal.

Not that I find the Siena presidential ranking as the end all be all of presidential rankings (especially for current presidents/recent presidents), but Biden was 19th and Donald was 43rd in the 2022 scholar ranking.

They were the two most recent examples. Not really comparing them to each other beyond the fact that they will suffer a similar fate in the midterms.

I do think they are both terrible, though. For different reasons (obviously).

Back